Sawyer Pond Campsite?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Bow

Reaction score
Ashuelot, NH (anyone know where that is?) Avatar:
I'm planning on staying at Sawyer Pond Campsite this May and was wondering about the crossing of Sawyer River when coming from Sawyer River Road. I'd like to bring my dog but, I'm not sure if he'll be able to make it across.

Has anyone done this in the spring or have an idea how wide and deep the river is there? Is there a bridge or anything? I'd hate to bring him all the way up there, start in and find that he can't get across. Thanks in advance for any information!

Sawyer Pond Trail

From the upper parking lot (summer). The trail immediately crosses the Sawyer River on a steel footbridge. Except for a few minor flowages, there is no actual river crossing necessary. Don't forget, that until the Sawyer River Road opens you must park at Rte 302 (winter lot) and hoof it up the road. Oops, you said May. In that case the road should be open. Be prepared for lots of bugs and ticks in there. The Sawyer Pond area is one of the most tick infested areas I have found in the Whites, and I live here. There also usually lots of bears in the Sawyer Pond area. One night while sleeping in the shelter, we heard them rooting around and in the morning the area behind the shelter and near the platforms was all torn up.

Thanks for the link to the pics Aaron!

Dalraida, I'll take what you said into consideration. I don't want my poor guy gettin' scared from hearing bears or getting a ton of ticks on him. Maybe he'll have to spend the weekend at the doggie resort... :(

Tick Madness

One spring I had both my Yellow Labs with me in there walking on old logging roads just west of the pond. At one point I looked down and the young female had at least 20 ticks marching up her legs. I simply brushed them off and kept on hiking. A black lab would have been a disaster on that hike. If I recall correctly I pulled about 15 embedded ticks off both dogs after that outing. Sawyer Pond has a pretty large animal population with I believe contributes to the tick problem. Dogs with Top Spot in thier bloodstream will still get attached ticks. I guess that they will eventually die and drop off. Probably in your house :eek:

You can also come in from the South: start from the locked gate along the S end of Bear Notch Rd, and follow logging roads etc to the Sawyer Brook Trail. I've only done it in winter, but I don't remember any unbridged stream crossings of any size.

Might have a few ticks too...

Doug

How about some Advantix???
It even known to repel black flies on dogs.
I have never seen a tick on either of my dogs since I use it.

How about some Advantix????????
It works great and is surely the enemy of fleas and ticks. I have never seen one on Bernie and Kodi since I use this product.
It has also been known to repel black flies on dogs.
I just saw a sign at the vet that if you use this product you should not wash the dog with "soap". You could ask the what to use for baths. Water is OK.I ususally wait 48 hrs after I apply it. It's a once a month product.