Bear Mtn 3220' (near the Moats) - high point?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onestep

Reaction score
Which peak of Bear Mtn is the highest? The south peak marked on the AMC map with elevation & triangle, or the north peak?
Looking at the map I'd assume its the south peak, but today from Chocorua the north peak sure looked higher.

Onestep

It's the south peak, at least that's where the canister is/was. We ascended it in November 1993 starting from the Bartlett town line on Bear Notch Rd. Nice woods, the only tough part was trying to avoid the 3-foot deep post holes that the moose had made all along the ridge. I recall the north peak having a clearcut with views.

I recently found a clearcut on the southern slope of Bear Mt. with a really nice view of the entire Sandwich Range.

Trail on Bear Mountain?

Some time ago we found the canister on Bear as well but the unique feature was presence of a trail, possibly abandoned along the way. It didn't appear to go to the summit and we didn't encounter a trailhead. In term sof repair it appears to be in better shape than the section of trail near the summit of Deception.

bill bowden said:
Some time ago we found the canister on Bear as well but the unique feature was presence of a trail, possibly abandoned along the way. It didn't appear to go to the summit and we didn't encounter a trailhead. In term sof repair it appears to be in better shape than the section of trail near the summit of Deception.

the old trail goes right to the summit! shhh just between you and me, o.k.??

bill bowden said:
Some time ago we found the canister on Bear as well but the unique feature was presence of a trail,
You need to spend more time on this site, Bill
http://docs.unh.edu/NH/crwf50se.jpg

The PeakMaster lost a digital watch up there, it was set to beep so maybe if you have a moment of silence every hour you will find it.