Conditions on Welch-Dickey & Chocorua

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerry13

Reaction score
Otter River, Mass Avatar: Leisurely winter hike o
Has anyone done Chocorua or the Welch-Dickey Loop in the last few days that can tell me conditions. I'd like to do one or the other later this week with a couple new hikers. We've done Monadnock a few times now and they'd like to move up a little and at least get a change of scenery. They don't have crampons or stabilizers so I am looking for something with limited ice that could be barebooted. Any other suggestions in north country are welcome. Thanks in advance.

kerry13 said:
Has anyone done Chocorua or the Welch-Dickey Loop in the last few days that can tell me conditions. I'd like to do one or the other later this week with a couple new hikers. We've done Monadnock a few times now and they'd like to move up a little and at least get a change of scenery. They don't have crampons or stabilizers so I am looking for something with limited ice that could be barebooted. Any other suggestions in north country are welcome. Thanks in advance.
I was on Chocorua the other day. While you could do it without some kind of traction aid, it could be annoying. I took a pretty good spill somewhere on the summit cone. I wore stablicers for a while but took them off eventually and then fell. Some of the trails would be pretty difficult without some form of traction aid. We weren't on the Champney Falls Trail (Hammond up, Carter Ledge down) so I can't comment on that but you'd have to take care rock hopping on and around the summit.

-Dr. Wu

Although I haven’t been on Welsh/Dickey in over a month, I do drive by it on the way to WV ski area. From the road, all the slabs look free of snow and ice. There might be some snow in the col between Welsh/Dickey and some ice on the back side of Welsh tends to stick around longer than the ice on the slabs. Other than that, it looks good.

Champney Falls trail

I was on this trail Saturday. Ice from the parkinglot to treeline. Crampons or Stabilicers pretty much required.

Onestep

onestep said:
I was on this trail Saturday. Ice from the parkinglot to treeline. Crampons or Stabilicers pretty much required.

Onestep
I wonder if I saw you. Did you see a dude with a beard and a woman without one? that was us. We were on the summit for a while and then started to descend when a few groups started coming up.

It was icy. I had taken my stabilicers off off when I reached the summit. I fell on the way down pretty good and put them on sometime after that. There's no ice or snowfields for you to go off the edge or anything, just enough ice to fall on the trail and hert yerself!

It wouldn't hurt to get a pair of stabilicers or Yak Trax. You could do the hike pretty easy with those, I think.

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
I wonder if I saw you. Did you see a dude with a beard and a woman without one? that was us.
-Dr. Wu

I reached the summit about 10:30 and hung out for a while with the ravins... never saw any bearded ladies, but on my way down I saw the nicest pair of sneakers I've seen in a while :D

Hey...the lady was me!!! No beard on my face.....anyway I would have recognized you! We got to the summit around 12:30 or and were the only one there until we headed down.

Back to the topic...some sort of traction would be very helpful as I took a few diggers after I took the stabilicers off.

-MEB

MEB said:
Hey...the lady was me!!! No beard on my face.....anyway I would have recognized you! We got to the summit around 12:30 or and were the only one there until we headed down.

Back to the topic...some sort of traction would be very helpful as I took a few diggers after I took the stabilicers off.

-MEB
for the record, I said that I was the dude with the beard and you were the woman without one (without a beard). :D

Chocorua's a great choice. Can't go wrong!

-Dr. Wu