Bobcat roaming Mt Monadnock

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerry13

Reaction score
Otter River, Mass Avatar: Leisurely winter hike o
For years I have been hiking Mt Monadnock and have seen a variety of wildlife and/or tracks. Last thursday, on Pompelly trail, I ran across my first Bobcat tracks up there. I thought I had seen some during the winter but the snow depth made it difficult to identify for sure. I hope the attachment with the picture shows up. It does in the manage attachments sections, but I don't see it when I preview post. If it doesn't show up someday please explain how to post picture and I will try to put the picture up. All my pics are on my hard drive. Sorry for any inconvenience.

kerry13 said:
For years I have been hiking Mt Monadnock and have seen a variety of wildlife and/or tracks. Last thursday, on Pompelly trail, I ran across my first Bobcat tracks up there. I thought I had seen some during the winter but the snow depth made it difficult to identify for sure. I hope the attachment with the picture shows up. It does in the manage attachments sections, but I don't see it when I preview post. If it doesn't show up someday please explain how to post picture and I will try to put the picture up. All my pics are on my hard drive. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Your picture is fine, but there is no reference frame, so it's hard to tell how big the track is. But it does look like the tracks in this reference:

http://www.cityofmelrose.org/departments/Conservation/files/tracks/tracks.jpg

Bobcats love that area, south facing rocky areas. If you go to the right places, you may catch a glimps of one. -Mattl

Hey, that's really cool! Hope you get to see it! I saw one near my house a few months ago while I was running. Really cool creatures.

Tom Rankin said:
Your picture is fine, but there is no reference frame, so it's hard to tell how big the track is. But it does look like the tracks in this reference:

http://www.cityofmelrose.org/departments/Conservation/files/tracks/tracks.jpg

It donned on me when we were on top that I didn't use anything to reference the size. There were 4-5 good prints and they were all about 2-3 inches by the same. I use Paul Rezendez tracking book all the time. From what he describes these tracks enlarged a little and rounded at the toes due to the melting.

Very cool!

Very cool, Kerry! I'll keep an eye out for more tracks. Thanks for posting the info and picture!

Southwestern NH, particularly the Monadnock region, is full of bobcat territory. I worked at an environmental education center not far from Peterboro, and we often saw tracks on the trails and summits nearby. Never got to see one though, but I have very clear pictures of recent tracks and the area is certainly part of their known range, so it doesn't surprise me at all.