Yaktrax Pro Vs Stabilizers Etc

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowcat

Reaction score
Every yr around this time I SWEAR I am going to get something else to use to keep me from falling on my ass hiking. It's the time where there's not enough snow for snowshoes & crampons are overkill. I looked at instep type crampons but I have to question having something elevating just the middle arch portion of your foot. first, it looks to me like on a flat surface you'd be rockin back & forth on them. secondly, it looks like they might even be uncomfortable, adding extra pressure up into the arch of your foot.

my final alternatives so far are:
(1) yaktrax pro reg $27 on sale $19.99
http://www.basegear.com/yaktraxpro.html

(2) or a stabilizer such as 32North Stabilicer (24 ounces for size medium, $45).

both of these look like they would be pretty decent to walk on & add that extra traction needed to get you past the few icy spots along the way.
has anyone out there tried either of these? any input or other models you might suggest?
thnx

shadowcat said:
my final alternatives so far are:
(1) yaktrax pro reg $27 on sale $19.99
http://www.basegear.com/yaktraxpro.html

(2) or a stabilizer such as 32North Stabilicer (24 ounces for size medium, $45).
I use Stabilicers for hikes where there is possibly some ice, but when the grade is not very steep. IMHO, they are not 'mountain gear', but they are fine for easier terrain.

I do not have direct experience with Yaktrax, but I've read/heard that they are not as good, and that they tend to fall apart relatively quickly.

yaktrax work fine as long as they stay on your foot or they don't break. i'd advise against them. i had the pro model with the foot strap. the foot strap doesn't help at all if the terrain gets steep or you encounter deep snow. i lost mine while post holing on greylock when i encountered some unexpected snow. a friend of mine wore them twice and the rubber broke. my next traction device will probably be the stabilicer. the ankle retention strap looks pretty good. i have to disagree with tom rankin. i believe traction devices like these work well on the mountain when crampons are overkill (which is a lot of the time). you often need something to prevent you from slipping.

I swear by these...stabilicers. I've climbed many 4K-footers with them when the trails were quite icy. I have never fallen using them...although I haven't used them above treeline or on any trail that would really require crampons (flume slide, for instance).

I strongly urge you NOT to get yaktrax. I think they are totally unsuitable for hiking. Mine broke on the 5th use, and the traction isn't a quarter as good as the stabilicers anyway.

- Greg

Last edited:
I've never used Yaktrax, but we got the heavy duty Stabilicers this year and they are great - not on solid angled ice, but on hardpack and mushy or porous ice. We used them on a hike up Jackson a week ago, and they were great except for a couple of icy flows down low.

Another vote for Stabilicers. Bought a pair last fall and put them to good use this winter. Particularly good on the lower sections of trail with mixed ice and rock; the sort of conditions that dull your crampon points. As the trail gets steeper and the ice thicker, switch to crampons.

Owned both and after using stabilcers, I would never go back to Yak Trax. My first set of Yak trax snapped after three trips, enough said. While the Stabilicers are on the heavy side, they make up for it by never falling off your feet, not needing constant readjustment and having replaceable cleats/screws on the bottom when they go dull.

Rei

Rei must have sold out all they have are the replacement screws - darn that was an awesome price. the place up in glens falls has them but full price. i am trying to talk them into a discount & told them i'd promote them to you guys. i would like to purch from a local but it's tough when you can get online for 50% less! i just don't want to wait i'd like 'em for this wkend. wonder if the mountaineer has them.....

Also consider screw boots. Get the same screws as used as replacements in stablizers and put them in your boots. I think Tim Seaver posted a .jpg on some thread as to the pattern he uses.

Consider these:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39187784&memberId=12500226

I plan to pick up a pair.

I have Neos Navigator overshoes right now (not the ones with the built in Stabilicers; an older model), and they're great. Hike all winter in my trail runners. Did a very snowy Adk hike on Saturday, and my feet were dry and warm all day. I was glad to be able to wear trail runners, because I'm sporting a broken toe right now, and heavier boots are uncomfortable.

TCD

STABILicers

I ended up purchasing a pr from campmor on sale 39.99. they are in jersey so i'll have by the weekend - PERFECT! I tried to get the guys up in Glens Falls to be a little more competitive but they wouldn't budge from $49 plus tax. for the extra $10 in savings i got a gortex patch kit and some extra screws for when my screws are loose! :D
thanx for all the input i may have actually got the yaks and then been unhappy.

I would vote on Stabilicers, over the past 2 years I have found 3 loose Yack Traxs on the trails that failed to stay on some poor hikers feet.
I carry Stabilicers, Crampons and my snowshoes and most of the time is spent with the Stabilicers. I would only consider Yak Traxs if I was on a frozen lake fishing.
I know that some people swear by them and I did try a pair last year, but I didn't care for the rolling feeling from the coil springs and would not consider them for a hilly ice covered trail.

Dear Sugarloafer

Your avatar? ahh mmmmm ahhhh zzzzz. .ajdfoueojqjodufjeourr
i am at a loss for words
:eek:
butt what a view

Minority opinion here (not unusual). I have owned both Yaktrax and Stabilicers and prefer Yaktrax. I seem to have had better luck than some with both durability and performance. I have the Pro model with the strap across the instep.

Kevin Rooney said:
Also consider screw boots.
This is an idea that has intrigued me for years.