Calling All White Mt. Experts - Jefferson, Adams and Madison

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aesop74

Reaction score
My big trip this year is take on Mt. Jefferson, Mt. Adams and Mt. Madison as a single day trip from Rt. 2 in Appalachia near Gorham. I would only have a single vehicle and planned on doing all 3 in the same day. I have a few questions for those who may have thought about doing this or maybe for those who have already completed this loop. The trails I was looking at included the Randolph Path, the Airline, Shortline, etc. My original idea was to climb Jefferson first via Edmands Col and then finish on Madison via Adams. The timeframe is the first week of October. My questions are:

Which direction is harder? Starting on Madison and ending on Jefferson or vice versa? My original plan was to do Jefferson first.

Also, is it possible to do all 3 in a day or am I kidding myself? I know people do the entire Presidential Traverse so I am sure this portion is more than doable.

Which trails do you recommend keeping in mind that I want to start and finish off Rt. 2 at Appalachia.

Is there another loop that I am not taking into consideration?

Thanks everybody :)

I would suggest going up Valley Way an hitting Madison first and then Adams and lastly Jefferson. As far as coming down I would look at taking the Randolp Path....its a long one but nice and gradual after a long day....plus there are a lot of nice views before you enter back in the treeline.

I've only gone in this direction so I can't comment on which way I think would be more difficult.

-MEB

It's a big day, but doable.

I'd do the roughest section first, so that means starting from Appalachia going up Valley Way and turning right on the Randolph Path. Take the Randolph Path all the way to Edmunds Col (where it terminates) and then Gulfside to Jefferson. Return via Gulfside towards Adams, turning right at Thunderstorm Jct (huge cairn) to Adams. From Adams you can take either Airline or Star Lake to the hut and then to Madison. Return to Appalachia via Valley Way.

MEB: I think it's a tad easier to do it counterclockwise.

Kevin

I'd agree with Kevin & get Jefferson done first

First week of October may involve ugly weather or real nice. IMO April & October are most unpredictable weather, could be 55 or 5.

In winter can be 30 or -30 both are cold compared to summer, in summer may be 65 - 30 where is 30 bearable to the prepared summer hiker.

I'll third the advice to get Jefferson first. I've done it both ways and coming down the Randolph Path at the end of the day is much tougher mentally than going down Airline.

There's a very good and reliable spring in Edmand's Col, just off the Cut-Off that may allow you to carry less water on the climb.

-dave-

What Mike P. said, October can be funky or grand. Keep an eye on the weather patterns, you may push your time frame up.
As for direction I would do Jeff first too.
Enjoy!

3 Mountains

Thanks all. My thoughts were to get Jefferson done first as well. Mostly based on the 4 hours 40 minutes that the AMC reports as the average time to reach Edmands Col. Seems like a killer.

if your a solid hiker - you shouldn't have much of a problem doing this. get an early start. once your up there, the gulfside is a nice and easy trail for the most part. I think either way would be ok and both would be fun. valley way might be nicer coming down.

i agree 100% about the weather. I think this year, there was 4 feet of snow in late october and like 2 weeks before, it ws in the 60's. shows you how it can vary. if its rain and wind and like 34 degrees - the day will suck.

take randolph path to edumuds col - summit jeff, gulfside to adams, madison and down valley way - there might be some short paths (jeff loop, isreal rdi ridge, etc.) paths you need to take (I don't have a map with me now) - but thats your main route. its one of my favs of the pressies.

bring your bike ... park at Castle Trailhead ... bike the few easy miles to Appalachia ... hike up King Ravine ... hike Madison > Adams > Jefferson ... hike down Castle Trail ... bask in happiness because you've just hiked one of the coolest loop hikes in the world :)

King Ravine pics in the sept 2004 album here:
http://community.webshots.com/user/armmon

Northern Presidentials

Arm,

You just put a huge smile on my face. When I climbed Washington in 2001 I came back the Gulfside Trail to the summit of Mt. Clay and saw Jefferson for the first time up close. Since then I've been all over the place but have yet to return to Presidentials. I promised myself that this would be the year to return and I am diehard about it. Seems like my original plan is the one I'll be sticking with.

Thanks everyone for the advise concerning the weather. In July 2001 I started in shorts and a tee and wound up in full wind gear by the time I reached Crawford Path on Washington.

Aesop74,

The 1st week in October is typically peak folliage in the Whites and one of the best weeks to hike there period! Could have a little snow but that is quite rare...

I have done similar hikes in both directions in all seasons, and in my opinion as to the easiest route in early Oct. is: I would spot a bike at the Castle TH (as Arm suggested), head up the Valley Way, climb Madison, head over Adams, over to Jefferson, and down the Castle Trail for an easy (and refreshing) 2 mile bike ride out... The Randolph Path in nice, but it is LONG...

There actually isn't much difference whether you head up Madison 1st or Jefferson, but mentally it's nice to do Madison and Adams 1st because they are so close together, then the long hike to Jefferson, then down (as opposed to the opposite direction)

Just my opinion...

No matter what you decide on, your in for a treat as long as the weather cooporates... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MEB
Wow, good luck to you! All I know is I did Madison and Adams same day and it kicked my ass! Was hurting coming down that day, but I remember it being one of those 90 degree humid days. That was rough but alot of fun. Adding Jefferson for me that day would have been real tough.

desending the Valley way is the way to go. Dave and kevin's advice is right on Id go with that. One more thing to consider when doing this loop. Study your map ahead of time and be prepared if need be to desend from any point on the ridge (using trails). While you might get great weather, alas its a heck of a place to get bad weather as well and you wouldnt want to be so dedicated to your route that you didnt know how to abort your trip safely, using other routes.

Just my $.02, but if I was at all concerned about my stamina or the weather, I would do Jefferson first. That way, toward the end of the hike, you can bail out at T-storm Jct and hit Crag Camp, or bail at Madison Hut and head down Valley Way w/o bagging Madison.

You also get to stop in at the hut near the end of the day and get some lemonade, soup, or a candy bar. :) When you're dead tired and have 4 more miles to go, that can be a big motivator.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
You also get to stop in at the hut near the end of the day and get some lemonade, soup, or a candy bar. :) When you're dead tired and have 4 more miles to go, that can be a big motivator.

-dave-
won't all of the homebaked cookies and brownies be gone by then?

Puck said:
won't all of the homebaked cookies and brownies be gone by then?
Yes indeed.........as will all traces of habitation. Madison will be boarded up and winter tite by early October.

less might be more..

Although you may be determined get all three peaks, you might have a better time if you take time to do only 2. Two might be a better choice for shorter Oct days. I've done all three from each direction a several times, but recently I enjoy more just doing one or two peaks. But you can do it so you're close to Jefferson, even if not on it; i tend to agree with those who say the view of the castles is better than the view on the castles.
I'd start with Madison via Valley Way to the hut and then Osgood.to the top of Madison. Then to get views into Madison Gulf and the Great Gulf, go up Star Lake trail to Adams. From the summit of Adams descend Lowes Path and then the Israel Ridge Trail ..this will give you views of Jefferson and the castles, and then the gradual descent via the Randolph path and Amphibrach back to applachia.