W48x9 The Final Hours

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A true adventure, made even better by the words and photos you used to share it with others.
Thank you.

Obviously Tim IS really tired of putting all this together :eek:

Tim's time: 9 days, 20 hrs & 24 minutes finishing on Tecumseh
Cath's time: 9 days, 23 hrs & 13 minutes finishing on Cannon

Jeff visited 38 (THIRTY EIGHT) summits !!!!!
Andy visited 29 summits !!!

Tim: 230.7 miles 72,546 elevation gain
Cath: 228.5 miles 71,396 elevation gain

It was a blast, and I hope we can do something like this again :rolleyes:

Very impressive...you guys are simply amazing!!! Thanks so much for sharing your adventures!

-MEB

Tim, Cath, Jeff, Andy

Again, Thank's for posting and sharing the great photos and chronicle of your journey. Not only did you guys (and Gals):) do what many of us would love to do. But from the look of the photos, and the write up, you had a great time doing it. What more could one ask for?

Congrats once again! Heres a toast to many more safe and enjoyable trail miles for all of you!!

Whoops...Cath is right, it's 9 days 23 hours and 13 minutes, not 47.

It WAS getting a bit late :)

Thanks to everyone who had the patience to follow our journey.
(Ed Parsons will most likely be doing a story for the Conway Daily Sun soon as well.)

And thanks so very much to Cath, Andy, and Jeff for making the experience so enjoyable. Many are the memories that I will always cherish from this crazy outing ! :D

Edit : Here is a centralized W48x9 Trip Index, with all the days available on one page.

Last edited:
Certainly an amazing adventure, and outstanding accomplishment, and a model of determination in the late winter wet.

But I'm a bit confused as to why it's called "NH48 Winter 4000'ers in 9 Days"

If you had rented snowshoes, you would pay 10 days rental

If I had done these hikes in summer [fat chance!] and someone asked how long it took, I would say "10+ days" as it was 10 full hiking days plus the night after

Do runners measure things differently, i.e. if you run a mile in 4 minutes 55 seconds do you call that a 4-minute mile?

Do runners measure things differently, i.e. if you run a mile in 4 minutes 55 seconds do you call that a 4-minute mile?
Most runners would call that a 4:55, I think.

The standard way for measuring these kinds of events is rather confusing, admittedly, but I can't really think of a better way.

The actual time for the previous adventure of this variety was 10 (completed) days, 22 hours and 37 minutes, hiking on 12 separate calendar days - December 26,27,28,29,30,31 and Jan 1,2,3,4,5,and finishing on the morning of the 6th. Our variation was 9 (completed) days, 23 hours, 13 minutes, hiking on 11 separate calendar days - March 6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15, and finishing on the morning of the 16th.

I think the confusion stems from the practice of not counting a "day" until it's completion, but I believe that is the established method of measuring multi-day endurance events.

huh??

tim wrote;
""The actual time for the previous adventure of this variety was 10 (completed) days, 22 hours and 37 minutes, hiking on 12 separate calendar days - December 26,27,28,29,30,31 and Jan 1,2,3,4,5,and finishing on the morning of the 6th. Our variation was 9 (completed) days, 23 hours, 13 minutes, hiking on 11 separate calendar days - March 6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15, and finishing on the morning of the 16th"

i guess i'm really confused. if i hike the 48 in 48 hours but take 2 weeks to do it, would i hold the new record??? :confused:

Last edited:
Math 101

i guess i'm really confused. if i hike the 48 in 48 hours but take 2 weeks to do it, would i hold the new record???

Probably not.

The clock ran continuously from the time we started on the 6th at 5:23 am until we finished on the 16th at 4:36 am. The amount of time between these two points is 9 days 23 hours and 13 minutes.

Hope that clarifies things :D

post'r boy said:
i guess i'm really confused. if i hike the 48 in 48 hours but take 2 weeks to do it, would i hold the new record??? :confused:

That would certainly be a record, in fact a more amazing record, but it would be a *different* record. They didn't stop the clock while they slept or drove to the next trailhead, it ran continuously.

I do agree with Roy, when just stating the number of days and not stating the hours and minutes I would round up to the next full day and call it 10 days.

An awesome adventure and very nicely documented.

GeorgeFitch said:
I do agree with Roy, when just stating the number of days and not stating the hours and minutes I would round up to the next full day and call it 10 days.

This could get confusing as well if someone beat the old record by a matter of minutes or hours instead of days. Then saying the old record was 10 days and the new one is 10 days . . . would cause more confusion. So, it makes sense how the time is stated because it gives you an idea of how close the new record is to the old. Just MHO . . .

sli74

sli74 said:
This could get confusing as well if someone beat the old record by a matter of minutes or hours instead of days. Then saying the old record was 10 days and the new one is 10 days . . . would cause more confusion. So, it makes sense how the time is stated because it gives you an idea of how close the new record is to the old. Just MHO . . .

sli74
I think the easiest way to describe it has already been stated:

Tim's time: 9 days, 20 hrs & 24 minutes finishing on Tecumseh
Cath's time: 9 days, 23 hrs & 13 minutes finishing on Cannon

-Dr. Wu

My point was missed.

*when* just stating the number of days

as in

NH48 Winter 4000'ers in 9 Days

and

W48x9

it would be more accurate to call it 10, not 9.

I'm not recommending leaving off the hours and minutes.

GeorgeFitch said:
My point was missed.

as in

and

W48x9

I'm not recommending leaving off the hours and minutes.
I got it! :) The problem though is -- if they did it in 9 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes and 1 seconds do you round up and say 10 days?

Maybe they should have said NH48 Winter 4000'ers in 9+ Days but not quite 10 (Full) Days. That rolls off the tongue well and won't start controversy!!

-Dr. Wu

fungi

The official fungi message says 48x9+---END OF STORY!!!

GeorgeFitch said:
My point was missed.

as in

and

W48x9

Point taken, George.

I have changed the wording on the top of the webpages to "NH48 Winter 4000'ers in 9 days, 23 hours, and 13 minutes"

But I am leaving the W48x9 as is for simplicity.

Everyone happy? ;)