Cooking facilities at Shapleigh Bunkhouse?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mohamed Ellozy said:
I thought that it was possible to cook at Shapleigh Bunkhouse, but all I see on their web page is:Is there also some kind of stove? And do they provide cooking/eating utensils?

Thanks!!
There is no stove just the microwave. There are dishes and utensils.

Mohamed -

Have stayed there several times, and mostly had the entire place to myself. On the 2 or 3 occasions when there have been other guests, I've never seen anyone use the kitchen. If you had your own stove, you might (suggest getting permission) be able to fire it up in the sink, ala' Grey Knob camp. Breakfast is included in the rate, and it's a big one - sometimes more than I need on a hiking day. If you make a reservation via the web, and don't want dinner - make a note to that effect on the form; otherwise they will assume you do and charge your credit card accordingly.

Kevin Rooney said:
Breakfast is included in the rate, and it's a big one - sometimes more than I need on a hiking day.
Problem is, I plan to leave at around 4 AM ... I doubt they will serve it at that time :) Obviously I am planning long in advance for late Sprng trip.
Puck said:
There is no stove just the microwave. There are dishes and utensils.
Probably all I need for making coffee and oatmeal (both instant :().

Thanks to both Puck and Kevin for the information!!

Last edited:
As noted above, there is a microwave at Shapleigh. It can be used to boil water or whatever. I usually take an old electric percolator to boil water to fill water bottles, make tea, coffee, freeze-dried dinners.

Use of hiker stoves is not permitted **in** the bunkhouse, though one may head over to the picnic tables and fire them up there.

Mohamed Ellozy said:
Problem is, I plan to leave at around 4 AM ... I doubt they will serve it at that time :)
I know what you mean. They don't start serving till rather late, IMHO - 6AM. Too bad they don't have at least coffee, juice and bagels/muffins available at 4 or 5AM for "real" hikers ...

Kevin Rooney said:
Too bad they don't have at least coffee, juice and bagels/muffins available at 4 or 5AM for "real" hikers ...
Would a "real" hiker have someone else prepare anything for them at that hour? ;)