Footware

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What kind of shoes do you wear on a 15-20 mile hike in the summer months

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dr_wu002

Reaction score
When Jess goes to the art store near Fenway, I go to REI and look around. I wander around aimlessly because I don't usually ever buy anything there (hello, Campmor) and hate having to carry hiking junk on the "T". However, I got looking at shoes the other day. My problem is severalfold: a) I have an ankle problem; it hurts when I wear high topped shoes but I also have a sprain. B) I like wearing my low top trail shoes. C) I would much rather hike in sandals, but D) I'm worried about ticks. If I post, "I'm in the mood for new shoes..." I'll get a million random responses. I'm not necessarily in the mood to buy new shoes anyway. I am however, curious to find out what combination of shoes and or shoes/gaiters people wear for say a 15-20 mile hike with possible bushwhacking during the summerish months (May-Oct). Remember, you can vote for more than one thing in the poll and also, sandals is not a "joke" option. See Eric at Flat Mountain Pond for evidence.

For anyone that doesn't know, "sandally shoes" are these. El-Bagr wore them when we went up the arrow slide.

Give some reasons why you wear them, what they do for you etc.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
I've been using in the past LL Bean high top boots with gaiters and without. These season though, I am shooting for the EMS Dry River GTX. I'll probably wear mini-gaiters with those most of the time. I like the lighter feel and the mobility I get with them so far compared to higher topped boots.

Last edited:
Sandals aren't so far fetched. A woman hiking with us on a two night backpack was so miserable in her boots that she did most of the hike in tevas.

I don't hike in tevas because I need better support and the absorption of a good steel shank.

Don't use gaiters other than in the winter.

Have tried different boots, but always come back to Norwegian welt boots for most summer use. Have a couple pairs of Raichle Palues (leather-lined) which I alternate - one is 1/2 size larger than the other. They're heavy, but ... consistently they protect my feet and ankles from rough rocks, turning ankle over, etc, etc. I rarely get injured while wearing them, and my feet feel pretty good the next. Every time I try to go with a lighter boot/sneaks, I regret it.

Stan said:
Sandals aren't so far fetched. A woman hiking with us on a two night backpack was so miserable in her boots that she did most of the hike in tevas.
I hiked Mt. Washington in berkenstocks -- best experience I've had going up Washington on a nice day. I just haven't hiked in sandals much recently. Your feet are designed fairly well by mother nature (who worked on them for a few million years) -- gotta be good for something as humans have only been wearing "shoes" for the last coupla 10,000 years -- and only for protection from the elements and not "ankle support" I assume.

-Dr. Wu

Depending on the conditions, I can't hike in any of the "high top" hiking boots and backpack in mid-height boots. In the summer, I'll sometimes hike in trail runners on trails that I know not to be that rocky or wet.

Jay

I used to hike MOST of the time in Montrail Torre boots, I still think they are the BEST all around boot.

On my LT thruhike, I had excruciating pain that was unexplained and remains a mystery but was from the pressure of the boots on the ankle bone. I spent 2-3 days hiking during a hurricane in my Tevas, no socks . . . my feet got a little cut up but atleast the pain was gone.

A friend brought me my Merrell Chameleon Low hiking boots and I finished the LT in those and ever since that, I hike most of my hikes in those Merrells.

I decide on gaiters based on expected trail conditions and weather conditions. I wear them in rain, but not when it is too hot out. I wear them on muddy trails and in general in the spring even when there isn't very much mud.

Also the weight of my pack will determine which boots I wear.

sli74

Depends on Terrain

For rugged terrain or backpacking or anything in the winter or muddy conditions, I'll wear my Vasque Alpine II's.

For easy trail and no pack/light pack, such as the NY AT in dry and warm conditions, I'll wear Addidas Trail Runners.

Long distance hiking shoes

Today my footware of choice for 3 season hiking/'whacking/packing are New Balance 9-oh-something-or-others (906?), at least thats what I currently own. Was out the last 2 weeks in my old clunky heavy leathers... yuk.
To see other options I've used, check out boots!

Onestep

Last edited:
Doc, when I had an ankle problem a while back, I wore this:

http://www.activeankle.com

It worked really well for sports, but I did not actually try it for hiking. It might become uncomfortable for a long hike. But, it's fairly light and you could certainly bring it as 'emergency' gear. Be aware the shoe/boot/sandal/whatever has to be wide enough to lace up over the device at the ankle.

Tom Rankin said:
Doc, when I had an ankle problem a while back, I wore this:

http://www.activeankle.com

It worked really well for sports, but I did not actually try it for hiking. It might become uncomfortable for a long hike. But, it's fairly light and you could certainly bring it as 'emergency' gear. Be aware the shoe/boot/sandal/whatever has to be wide enough to lace up over the device at the ankle.
My ankle problem isn't too bad. I actually am seeing a doctor about it and I'll keep hiking on it until it's swinging around. In the meantime, I bring "emergency gear" for me ankle. I haven't put it to use yet.

-Dr. Wu

Bushwhacking in dry weather: trail runners
Hiking on a trail in dry weather: Low tops with a fairly rigid shank.
Wet weather: light ankle high boots.
Slides: "approach" shoes.
Scrambling in the Rockies: big, clunky, heavy-duty ¾ shank boots.

Gaitors: almost never, ever.

pretty much wear boots all the time. at some stage I am going to get a decent pair of light boots - but its on the bottom of my need list.

sometimes if I am 99% sure it will be a nice day - I will wear trail runners - but not on a 15-20 mile day or if I have a heavy pack.

dr_wu002 said:
My ankle problem isn't too bad. I actually am seeing a doctor about it and I'll keep hiking on it until it's swinging around. In the meantime, I bring "emergency gear" for me ankle. I haven't put it to use yet.
I sometimes find a pressure bandage to be helpful with semi-sprained ankles etc. Helps to control the swelling and pain.

I use one of these if it really gets bad: (see attachment)

Doug

Salomon Solaris with ankle gaiters. I've done 18 milers on consecutive days in addition to Kilkenny Ridge traverse (25 m) and Presi Traverse with Isolation (30 m) with no problems. Very comfy.

JohnL

dr_wu002 said:
Remember, you can vote for more than one thing in the poll and also, sandals is not a "joke" option. See Eric at Flat Mountain Pond for evidence.
I have heard of people doing significant amounts of hiking in Chaco sandals. They tend to have a good bit of arch support (not good for flat feet)--if they fit they are very nice.
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...ategory_rn=4501258&vcat=REI_SSHP_FOOTWEAR_TOC
http://www.chacousa.com

Looks like a new model sole--the old ones had a Vibram or shallow pattern "water sole".

Haven't tried hiking in mine, but they are quite comfortable and beefy enough for hiking.

Doug

What about Keens for a sandal type? Of course you must buy them on sale otherwise you'll be eating pasta and oatmeal for the next month....they can be worn with stretchy summer gaitors or an ankle brace...

Advancing age has lessened the vanity of my younger years. I will now go out in public wearing socks beneath my Birkenstocks and Keens... :p

I love my heavy boots (Lowa Banff), mainly because I can step wherever I want without thinking. Rocks, mud, off trail, water, scree, whatever. Gives me more liberty I guess.

I'm sure my knees like it better too when I carry a heavy pack, although it doesn't happen much in summer. I don't backpack much.

Gaitors in summer, no. Way too hot. My legs always get dirty from my toes to my butt anyway.

When I go buy post-hike snacks at Stewart's Shop covered with mud (and sometimes blood), people are giving me weird looks, it's kinda funny.