Footware

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What kind of shoes do you wear on a 15-20 mile hike in the summer months

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Montrail goretex Hurricane Ridge with OR scree gaiter. Waterproof gaiter in wet weather.

I voted for Heavy, hightop boots... but my boots are not heavy they are light, but they are hightops. I need the support for my ankles, they tend to be real loose :). I do carry gaitors when I think I will be bushwacking, I wouldn't wear them on the trail, too hot. Not to fond of getting my shins all chewed up in the bushes though.

While I voted for high heavy boots, that would be if doing a Presi-Traverse, Pemi Loop or long miles over say the McIntyres with a trip by Avy Lake.

Looking at Owl's head early fall this September & looking at sneakers & carrying Day Hiking boots for the slide (maybe Sandals for the crossings) Thought is I won't need too much for warmth.

as reported on trail conditions about 2 or 3 years ago, i hiked field, tom, and willey barefoot just for the pure-tee hell of it. so i was definitley in the avant garde of barefootin' in the whites. ok ok ok, i know some are gonna say they were barefootin' longer ago than that but i demand proof. i have photos somewhere with the li'l date thingys on 'em. so there. :D

i've never winter hiked barefoot though and if someone says they have, i'll call bull****. :D :mad: :cool: :D :eek: :)

take yer boots off and set yer mind free!! :)

word.

Neil said:
Bushwhacking in dry weather: trail runners
Hiking on a trail in dry weather: Low tops with a fairly rigid shank.
Wet weather: light ankle high boots.
Slides: "approach" shoes.
Scrambling in the Rockies: big, clunky, heavy-duty ¾ shank boots.

Gaitors: almost never, ever.
What exactly is an "approach" shoe? The slides in the whites (from what I've seen) are usually a mixed bag of loose rock, other junk with some slabs. The slides in the ADK's (I've never been on one) seem more "slabby", am I right? Is this where approach shoes come in handy? What makes them different than low cut boots or trail runners?

Why big clunky boots for the Rockies? Is this the type of boot you'd use to scramble on some of the uglier slides in the Whites?

-Dr. Wu

like bruno says...

bruno said:
as reported on trail conditions about 2 or 3 years ago, i hiked field, tom, and willey barefoot just for the pure-tee hell of it. so i was definitley in the avant garde of barefootin' in the whites. ok ok ok, i know some are gonna say they were barefootin' longer ago than that but i demand proof. i have photos somewhere with the li'l date thingys on 'em. so there. :D

i've never winter hiked barefoot though and if someone says they have, i'll call bull****. :D :mad: :cool: :D :eek: :)

take yer boots off and set yer mind free!! :)

word.
who needs shoes???
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=86&catid=searchresults&searchid=2547

these sisters yo-yo'd the A.T. barefoot

bruno said:
whoa!! i got too full o' myself! i bow down to these trail goddesses!! pedicures all roun'!!! :)

they did the knife edge on katahdin...barefoot!

post'r boy said:
they did the knife edge on katahdin...barefoot!

cause it's you tellin' me i believe it! whoa!! all dap to these two!! got anymore pics? how 'bout on the knife edge!! them ladies must have 'em some cloven hooves!!! pics! we need pics!! :)

dr_wu002 said:
What exactly is an "approach" shoe? The slides in the whites (from what I've seen) are usually a mixed bag of loose rock, other junk with some slabs. The slides in the ADK's (I've never been on one) seem more "slabby", am I right? Is this where approach shoes come in handy? What makes them different than low cut boots or trail runners?

Why big clunky boots for the Rockies? Is this the type of boot you'd use to scramble on some of the uglier slides in the Whites?

-Dr. Wu
Approach shoes are little runners with a sticky sole. They are nice on steep slabs. I don't know why they call them that. Maybe cuz you approach the real technical climbing in them and then switch.

I like the heavy duty boots for scrambling out west because often you stick the front inch or less of the toe onto a hold and they support you nicely.

Like hereand in other pics in this guy's album.

bruno said:
cause it's you tellin' me i believe it! whoa!! all dap to these two!! got anymore pics? how 'bout on the knife edge!! them ladies must have 'em some cloven hooves!!! pics! we need pics!! :)
it's widely known in A.T. circles what they have done i met them in hanover nh at the A.L.D.H.A. gathering in 2001. they said it was all about foot placement.
they're from the bar harbor area

Montrails and OR half gaiters in summer (I don't winter hike often)......makes getting to camp and popin' off my boots a real reward.....tevas feel great to begin with, but after pumpin' out a slew of miles.......priceless!!

hey! i see somebody else cast a vote for "barefoot"!! who are ya? let's go barefootin'!! and yeah, the secret is "foot placement". figger that out and yer in the game!! save yer vibram for winter!! :eek:

we don't need no stinkin' boots!! (get it? "stinkin' boots"!! :) )

Keens ...like Jade I have no qualms about wearing socks with them.
I like the traction and they have nice thick soles. I do notice I have to be more carefull about hitting the sides of my feet against rocks and what not, but not all that often.
I'm not much of one for the long hikes..once things get around 10 miles or so I'd just as soon spread out a sleeping bag and call it a day...

LLBean Crestas- I tore two ligaments in my ankle about 25 years ago and I need the ankle support. Any twist on that ankle is exaggerated due to slight looseness I will always have.

Barefoot is nice. I've climbed a number of peaks barefoot. I started about 10 years ago, when I had a blister that was bothering me, so I took off my boots. It diesn't work well in winter. Terrible traction on ice or even packed snow. I taught barefoot for 10 years, so it was kind of natural to hike that way.

Of course, Elliot A has climbed all of NY's 46 barefoot.

Climbing shoes or approach shoes on steep slides.

'Sneakers" (showing my age by calling htem that?) for regular hikes.

heavy boots for trailwork. More for protection, than ankle support. A lot of barefootedness builds ankle strength.

Wu _ I used to wear Scarpa leather boots. I like them, I don't love them. They feel heavy at the end of the day, and it takes several wearings at the beginning of each season until I don't get blisters any longer.

I now swear by my Asolo low-tops. The sole is heavy duty vibram but the boot is relatively light _ and it makes my feet feel so much better at the end of the day.

I was worried how my ankles would handle it without that extra support, particularly in the prezzies. But I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever.

LL Bean Cresta (which are not heavy) with mini gaitors. I wouldn't consider any other arrangement.

The boots provide ankle support, but also protection for off-trail adventure. Rarely do I hike without a few miles off-trail on the descent. The gaitors only last one season because of the abuse, so what would my ankles look like without the protection? The weight difference means nothing to me.

I use the mini gaitors which are lower than the top of my socks. These keep out pebbles, and help out a bit at brook crossings.

Happy Trails!

chipc said:
I am a "messy" walker so I like the protection for my feet and ankles. At least once every hike I end up in deep mud!

I too am not a dainty Nancy-Boy. I wear my Asolo’s all year round with full gaiters. Arrr…