Sweetie Pie ... sleeping bag doubler..

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spider solo

Reaction score
Well, while we're waiting for spring to ... um spring.
It's about this time of year When a young mans...or ladies thoughts turn to...

Perhaps, I think it might be best said...."When folks of all ages start thinking spring like thoughts"
you might find that this handy dandy item is just the thing to warm up the season..or most any season for that matter.

I've been updating my sleeping bags..and today I was much pleased that my new sleeping bag and my "Sweetie Pie" were still compatable.

Oh sure we got our 1st one when my wife and I were trying to save some weight instead of carrying two separate sleeping bags...sure...no doubt about it..."That's my story and I'M sticking to it"

They can be found at www.functionaldesign.net
and come with a #8 zipper ... I see that they offer more sizes than a few years ago....so I guess we weren't the only ones who thought they were a good idea.
Anybody ever hear of them before? ...they have been around for a few years...

Last edited:
I have heard of them and we were looking to get one last year but never got around to it . . . it would save quite a bit of weight but I wonder if we could comfortably fit the both of us in there? Are they actually large enough for 2 people?

sli74

Yes, we slept out just the other night using it. I guess we bought it just about four years ago when we first saw them. Since then we never carry two bags. We just refer to it as a bag and a half . We have both fit into a sleeping bag with the Expander version but it is the Doubler version that is the most comfy and roomy for two people.
It does save alot of weight and a lot more practical than worrying if you have right hand and left hand sleeping bags or investing in a whole new sleeping bag just to get the proper left and right zips.

...and of course they can have certain aerobic benefits...after all we all want to do our best to stay physically fit...

Last edited:
Rick said:
...... but where does she put her cold feet???

On your warm legs . . . isn't that where cold feet are supposed to go? :D
I would guess that she is likely shorter and won't be reaching her feet all the way to the bottom of the bag. My feet never reach the bottom of my bags except my one summer bag which is a short version.

sli74

sli74 said:
On your warm legs . . . isn't that where cold feet are supposed to go? :Dsli74
Ooohh you got me laughing on that one Seema - Thanks for the chuckle. I am in Seattle right now and took the ferry across the Puget sound this evening - I saw such a magnificent view of Rainier - It was just breathtaking - All I could think of was where would I rather be other than right here right now.. A great day today!!!!

Thanks for sharing that. I have the Golite version and I love it but I noticed that they don't carry it anymore. I was wondering where I could get something similiar.

I could carry one bag and fit the 3 of us in it but now that the kids are getting bigger, it's getting a little tight. They need to stop growing or Adam needs to be able to carry all my extra gear! :eek:

My wife and I have EMS mummy bags and we made sure to buy one with a left zip and one with a right zip so we can zip them together and both bags are still oriented correctly with the hoods on the underneath.

I used a larger sweetie pie through winter 04-05. Excellent piece of gear, though I think I would go for the smaller one, especially if you're a cuddling couple.

In some ways the larger one was too large, especially around the torso/shoulders. Getting a good neck seal with two was difficult. Ultimately I thought a bivy sized for a sweetie pie bag combo was the best answer to drafts, of course bivies that size are no longer made to my knowledge. For the cold to cool weather backpacking couple it's no brainer. I do think a sleeping quilt set up would be better and lighter for the warmer months. Two people generate a bit of heat, Seema's feet excluded, a quilt should do nicely if a seal to the pad(s) can be managed/manufactured, otherwise any steal-the-covers tendencies could be of issue.......