South Taconic Trail 04/09/2006

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugan

Reaction score
Partially depicted on the MA DCR map for Mt Washington State Forest, available here:
http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/mwas.htm

The MA AMC guide suggests that hikers can complete this in a weekend. We plan; however, to recklessly disregard their advice to complete the entire 15.7 miles in just one day.

I haven't hiked much in SW Mass. The guidebook makes this sound like a good place to start, "highly scenic route with extensive views... almost continuous open crest on Alandar... views west over NY's Harlem Valley to the Catskills are outstanding..."

In addition, I've been told there are some high points for various obscure lists easily accessible from this trail.

We have not yet decided whether to hike northbound or southbound, or discussed a start time.

Dogs are welcome.

If anyone wants to come for half, we can easily spot a car on route 344, which is roughly halfway.

Please send a PM or email for further planning details if interested.

Carmen and I will be there.....and look forward to getting together again with the rest of the 'crew'..... :)
...Jade

I don't know if this map is any more useful. Click on the lower right to expand and search.
Where are you planning on starting and ending ? Quarry Hill Rd to Catamount ?

Edit: On further review I guess that IS the South Taconic Trail, I thought it was longer. It looks like a great hike. I hope the map helps.

Last edited:
We'll be there too, most of us anyway, but I'm working on that! This is a great ridge walk that, on a good clear day, has views from the Gunks to Albany. Can't wait for this one, see you all there.

Thanks Chip...that's the best map I've seen so far....I especially like the color combinations....easy on the eyes...
...Jade

Thanks for the nifty map Chip! Now if only I had a color printer :(

Hey! Lattinhill - your lurker status may have to be revoked :D

I'm up for doing the tristate marker, CT highpoint and westernmost MA point since they're all short sidetrips. I do think I'd rather go northbound, to enjoy the more impressive parts while my brain is still fresh - by the end of the day I tend to reach oversaturation :p - but I'll go along with whichever direction others would prefer.

And the Bash Bish is an amazing falls, but does the South Taconic go by it or is the Taconic the trail that bypasses it? Not sure I'd want to climb down and back up to the Taconic if it bypasses the falls - looks like about 1000' of elevation added to the day. We wouldn't want to miss that 2/3 of a mile of the ST would we (well, maybe Dugan would for tradition sake)? We could always drive over to the falls at the end of the hike instead.

Hey.....I bet you did'nt know there was a patch for lurking, did you ?
Northbound or Southbound does'nt really matter now that I think about it, but there is a good climb almost right away starting from the south. I've never been north of Sunset Rock so I don't know exactly how the trail starts on the Catamount end. It may start in the parking lot or maybe up on Rt. 23 but at any rate it "appears" that we may have to traverse one of the ski trails. I used to ski there but I can't remember any of that. As of two weeks ago Catamount was still operating.
Looking closely at the map the white blazes go through the parking lot, over a bridge and behind the cabins at Bash Bish, so no brook crossing needed. I know that's important for certain purists and redliners amongst us, right Ron?
Dave

Who is that getting wimpy about ascent/descent/mileage??? Aren't you attempting to train up for a particular hike?!?!

Yes, the South Taconic crosses at the top of Bash Bish - to the west of the falls. It was this crossing that I've received a pm about - a recommendation to scout ahead of time whether it looks safe. The trailed alternative is to go east of the falls, with the requisite descent/ascent. The acceptable purist alternative would be to tag the south bank, back track to the side trail, walk the side trail, then back track to the north bank once back upon the South Taconic. Piece of cake!

I am not familiar with the river at the top of the falls. I've no idea how deep it is and therefore cannot hazard a guess as to whether it will be passable. Might be worthwhile to bring a pair of fording shoes.

Hmmm... did no one check out those links when Chip posted 'em earlier? ;)
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11817

I hope the weather should be good for this hike... Better then the snow and wind a few weeks back right Latinhill? That was a great hike. I would love to join you guys, but I have other plans...

Enjoy and let us all know how it went.
Kevin

Dugan said:
Yes, the South Taconic crosses at the top of Bash Bish - to the west of the falls. It was this crossing that I've received a pm about - a recommendation to scout ahead of time whether it looks safe. The trailed alternative is to go east of the falls, with the requisite descent/ascent. The acceptable purist alternative would be to tag the south bank, back track to the side trail, walk the side trail, then back track to the north bank once back upon the South Taconic. Piece of cake!

I am not familiar with the river at the top of the falls. I've no idea how deep it is and therefore cannot hazard a guess as to whether it will be passable. Might be worthwhile to bring a pair of fording shoes.

Several years ago I camped atop Alander with Mtnmama. We hiked across the ridge and descended down to Bash Bish Falls. It was the middle of summer, so there were no issues with crossing. The descent from the ridge to the falls was steep (and quite pretty) but not rocky or far.

I wish I could join you. A few years ago I did a loop up Alander, over to Brace and Frissell, then down the Ashley Hill Trail. The section between Brace and Alander is a really nice walk with occasional views along an old woods road. Alander has great views from its open summit area. Please let me know how the old cabin on Alander is holding up. Thanks!

Crossing at Bish Bash

I did this hike last summer from Bish Bash out to the end of the ridge south (by Brace Mnt?) and back. Its a great ridge walk in that section, but the trail had been rerouted away from the falls and dropped down an easy grade through a hemlock forest and into Bish Bash Falls State Park and then rejoined the trail on the other side of the Falls.
Having gone out that way I took the old trail down the side of the falls which crossed in front. The trail down was really erroded (probably why it was rerouted-my bad but it was partial peer pressure) and unless there's been work done I wouldn't do it this time of year due to fragile slopes. The crossing in front of the falls was Narly and I walked down stream a bit an fjorded.

That said, I'm up for part of this hike with ya'all!

Will pm for meeting time/car spots.

Sabrina

A very happy thank you

Thanks to everyone for making my very first VFTT hike ever a joyous experience!!!!

Orca and I had a great time today and I look forward to many more hikes together!

Sabrina

Last edited: