Carrabassett Valley Campgrounds

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
I'm going to be in the Cab. Valley towards the end of May, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good campground? I know I could just get a camping permit, but I'd like to be able to leave the set up tent'n'stuff during the day, and it would be nice to have access to running water, if not hot showers. Since this will be before Memorial Day Weekend, I realize the options will be a little limited, so any recommendations would be great.

If you're up on the north side, nothing's finer than Cathedral Pines in Eustis. I believe they open May 15th, but call to find out.

In case you change your mind and want to consider other options, you could consider the Maine Roadhouse.

The owner, Don, is a hiker himself and gave me lots of good insights into the local trails. He can be reached at (207) 246-4171.

My wife has stayed at Cathedral Pines & would again & her idea of roughing it usually is a Sleep Inn or Super 8.

If car camping in this area is your plan, IMO this is a no brainer.

I agree with Nate, if you want a scenic CG, Cathedral Pines is it, hands down.
About the only other auto CG in Maine that competes is JoMary Lake CG in the Hundred Mile Wilderness. I stayed at Cathedral Pines in 1981 and loved its location. However, if you are trying to approach Perham Stream, Caribou Valley, Kingfield & Mt. Abraham and need to stay on the south side of the mountain range, I was satisfied with my stay at Deer Farm Campground last August 2005. The CG is just outside of Kingfield. The website is here.

Last edited:
I've stayed at Cathedral Pines several times and would recommend them to anyone. The view (photo taken 8/04) from the lakeside sites is fantastic! Even if you can't get a lakeside site all the sites are large and flat. There's also plenty of room between sites to give you some privacy.

And best of all for us stinky hikers, the showers are free!

If you can't get a campsite

My vote for in town lodging would be the White Wolf Inn in Stratton.
Yummy food, hiker friendly, and a HUGE thruhiker log book to peruse.

Sabrina

There are also free primitive sites near Stratton Pond just off the Fire Warden's Trail to the Bigelow Range but if you want the full amenities of a campground (showers etc.), you can't beat a lakeside site at Cathedral Pines.

Cathedral Pines Campground

I recommend Deer Farm Campground. We stayed there Labor Day Weekend last year and had a great time. The people there are very friendly. There's also a private beach on the pond where you can rent a canoe or kayak cheap. If you are wanting to access the AT via Caribou Valley (Pond) Road, this is the best base location.