Stabilicers; where to buy?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chas

Reaction score
Hi all,
Is there a store in Eastern MA or southern NH that carries Stabilicers or are they a mailorder item?
I'm considering carrying those on early spring overnight hikes instead of full crampons for the weight savings. Would like to fit them on first.

Thanks,
Chas.

Doug,
Thanks for the info, I'll ask at REI when I visit later this week. At that weight, though, I may just carry the crampons, depends on the conditions.

Chas.

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
This time of year they'll be hard to find in the stores. Most stores are gearing up for spring/summer right now. Mail order may be about the only way to get them till fall.

That's what I was afraid of so I may just wait until next season (Fall) to buy them since some fitting is required. I may have an old pair of instep crampons around somewhere anyway, they would suffice for most Springtime needs short of steep climbing. I just hate wearing those things (the insteps).

Chas.

Wish I had seen your post a bit earlier...I just came back from Kittery Trading Post..but I didn't look to see if still had them. (they used to be down in the fishing dept)
Thats where I got mine..afterwards I noticed there was a lighter version than the ones I got....perhaps less hex screws in the bottom..
Some of the outdoor shops that have supplies for ice fishing might still have a few pairs around...

They definitely can be ordered from the 32 North web site (see DougPaul's post above). (or as just posted Lee Valley - nice price!)

I used Stabilicers for the first time this year and found them much better than an instep-style crampon by Atlas (called Snow-Trackers).

One word of advice that is probably obvious (but wasn't to me :( ) Tighten the screws after every hike or two - I didn't realize for a few days that I had lost 3 of the screws. Many of the remaining screws were loose.

Cheers!

Thanks guys, I think I will just mail order them and use the insteps this weekend.
Regarding the size thing. Although they are somewhat 'one-size fits all', it seems that I might be somewhere between the medium and large sizes, according to the first link posted, but after seeing this last link (Canada) it appears I can just measure the sole of my boot and go by that.

Chas.

I used them alot this winter instead of snowshoes since there wasn't much snow. They were great on the trails with ice. You can order them from LL BEan for about $49. I'm almost sure them came in different sizes--ask them.