What's the best thing you've learned here?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dvbl

This site is a gold-mine of information, especially lots of stuff that's not easily (if at all) found in any book. For me, it's the subtle things that I find most valuable. Here's the best thing I've learned here (besides the fact that the dogs-on-trails debate can turn really ugly really fast :D ) ...When hiking in the winter or even a cold day in Fall or Spring, adjust your layering so that you're just slightly cold. This is much better than sweating. It's more important to stay dry than perfectly warm. As you gain altitude and it gets colder, you can put on another layer and be warm almost immediately. But trying to dry your sweat-soaked layers in the cold ...mmm... not so easy. I know my example is "Duh-101" for the veterans, but it's big when you first learn it. Thank you to the person/people who posted that. Anyone else care to share some lessons learned?

I have learned a lot but I would have to say the best thing was “that there are a lot of people as crazy as I am about hiking”.

Even though I have only met a few of you, the people on the site are great. It is nice to learn that there is someone like Darren willing to put his heart and soul into this site.

Mark

I've learned that you can actually meet people over the internet, go into the woods with them, and return safely without becoming a newspaper headline or the subject of the sequel to "Deliverance."

The people. You folks who only surf the site and haven't gotten out & met the members are missing out. Some truly special people make up this site. :D

I've learned that it's OK to turn back without reaching your hike's goal. I'm always impressed when people report the hikes where they didn't reach the summit. It's a good lesson that if conditions aren't right, you don't need to push on mindlessly.

I agree with Halite on the meeting people, a lot on here are awesome and I've made a lot of friends I would definitely hike with again.

This year I've learned that it's OK to slow down and actually enjoy the hike, rather than just punching through it like it was a goal to be achieved and not enjoyed. As such I didn't get a lot of peaks this winter, but definitely enjoyed every one of them.

-to never hike the Mt Cabot Trail... I don't know if I ever would have since I love Bunnell Notch so much, but without VFFT, I would be unaware of the disgruntled landowner who reportedly has confronted hikers. I need to avoid negative human contact while hiking in the forest, bad for spirit.

-alerts and links by great people like aughman about things like government forest plans, road closures, etc. VFFT is a good source for fresh info about the WMNF.

-flora and fauna idenitifications...many great people here who will help id. what you experience in the forest.

-there are other Loreena McKennitt fans in the forest :)

Happy Trails!

I have really been grateful for the White MT hiking advice that is available on this website. I have received a lot of good advice from everyone. I have also been fortunate enough to meet some of these cyber-people, for a while i did not believe that they were real. But they turned out to be some of the nicest people that you can meet.

Trail conditions and snow depths. Also, first hand knowledge of some areas I haven't been to often(ADKs, Vermont, Western Maine).

I think the most notable thing I've learned from this website is that the guide books aren't infallible, and that sometimes the information they provide isn't always 100% complete. I've learned that there is a difference between a summit and a peak's highest point, and that the trail or spur path doesn't always go all the way to the latter. From this website I've learned that once on top of the mountain, you have to keep your eyes open to ensure you do reach the true high point. I find that the other posters here are also very good about reminding everyone that preserving the delicate flowers is more important that gaining a few more feet in elevation. Sometimes it's okay to stay on the trail and still be able to claim a peak.

All of the above, and then some!

I think one of the lasting things I've learned from here, after meeting some VFTTers, is that I should and can have faith in my hiking abilities. That I am as strong a hiker as I believe I am. That as slow as I am, there is always someone slower _ and much faster _ and that it's all OK. It's the journey and the destination, not the speed.

And all of those lessons translate into other parts of my life...and that, to me, is the beauty of the outdoors.

Then, there is, of course, the practical: finding trailheads on mysterious Maine roads, getting beta on which trails to avoid, techie stuff on gear, etc.

3 things I've learned from VFTT.....

Let's see, I've learned something new from almost everyone I've hiked with here, so how about.......

1. VFTT is a great place to make friends and find hiking companions!

2. that when it comes to the outdoors/backcountry..... I'm not as smart as I thought I was :D :rolleyes: :eek: :p

3. that when it comes to the outdoors/backcountry..... I'm not as dumb as I thought I was either :D :rolleyes: :eek: :p

Hope everyone has a great weekend! I'm off to the Catskills for some hikes and the 3500 club dinner! Fred

There's nothing like the real thing.

I've gotten lots of good information (and other, entertaining, stuff) from these boards, but there was no comparison to actually seeing what the real trail is like.

For instance, I got reassurance that Falling Waters to Garfield Ridge Campsite in one day with full pack was doable -- and it was -- but actually doing it was one of the toughest days of the trip. Being over forty and carrying over fifty made a big difference, and my mileage varied.

The boards are great; getting out there has been even greater. Thanks for helping make it happen.

--M.