Skiing Tuckerman Ravine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dvbl

1) What's the level of difficulty, compared to, say, Loon or Waterville Valley?

2) Is there usually one kick-stepped path to the top?

3) Are there differents spots where people break off the hike and begin to ski, or do people usually go all the way up?

4) Is late April to early May the best time to go? (I know, YMMV).

5) Any dos and don'ts as far as etiquette that are specific to Tucks skiing?

6) My friends are skiing, I'm not. I'm the camerman. Where's the best spot for me to go to shoot video?

7) What time does the ski-lift close? :eek:

dvbl said:
1) What's the level of difficulty, compared to, say, Loon or Waterville Valley?
It's not directly comparable. It's backcountry terrain with different risks and challanges than any lift served terrain. It also depends on the day, the route (there are many in the Bowl) and the weather. If forced to make the comparison, it's harder than anything at those ski areas.
2) Is there usually one kick-stepped path to the top?
Unless it's after a fresh snowfall, than yes.
3) Are there differents spots where people break off the hike and begin to ski, or do people usually go all the way up?
Yes, you can stop anywhere you can safely put on your skis. People create little platforms to put on their skis, just to the side of the boot ladder.
4) Is late April to early May the best time to go? (I know, YMMV).
Go now! It's melting fast this year.
5) Any dos and don'ts as far as etiquette that are specific to Tucks skiing?
Go early, don't hike up the Sherburne trail, don't ski down the Tuckerman trail, listen to the snow rangers, read the avy report.
6) My friends are skiing, I'm not. I'm the camerman. Where's the best spot for me to go to shoot video?
It depends on which run they are doing. For example, you can't see Left Gully from Lunch Rocks. I avoid hanging around Lunch Rocks myself, there's too much falling ice danger there.
7) What time does the ski-lift close? :eek:
When the sun goes down behind the ridge things ice up quickly.

-dave-

The steepness is very moderate till about halfway up the headwall. The snow could be anything from ice to slush though, and they don't groom. Beyond the halfway point it gets considerably steeper. A whole lot steeper than anything at Loon or Waterville Valley. You also have very large rocks to avoid and crevasses aren't uncommon either. It's definitely not the most challenging skiing there is in New England, but it makes anything at Loon or Waterville Valley look like the Bunny Hill.

Skiing Tuck's

I'll throw my two-cents worth in:

There may be harder things to ski in New England, but I can't think of any that are in-bounds, so if that's your point of reference, I think you'll find it pretty challenging. It's best to get a warm day so that the snow softens up, but I wouldn't wait too long in the season. The bottom of the bowl melts out first, and that takes away your run-outs later in the spring. Which means if you fall, you're sliding into rocks and gravel at that point, not nice soft snow fields. (I know from experience!) But, that said, it's a blast, and well worth any skier's effort just for the experience of it. You'll see it all there on a warm, sunny spring weekend.

One minor caveat - it's easy to be distracted on the climbs up the headwall. You're basically in an amphitheater with 1,000 foot high walls curving around you, and every sound is contained and amplified. So, as you climb up, you can't help but snap your head around to look every time you hear a roar, gasp, or laugh rise up from the crowd. If you miss a step and fall, you're back at the bottom with no ski run to show for that climb...

skiing in tuck's

It's nothing like skiing any in-bounds skiing in NH.

this siteMount Washington Avalanche Center has the latest information for the Ravine.

be aware of your surroundings. watch out for undermining snow conditions with the melting snow and running water. the crevasses are deep. hike where you plan to ski. bring water and food. the conditions change fast be prepared to leave.

Go if you can it's definitely worth the experience.

OD