Washington State Coastal Hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaLu

Reaction score
Hi all,

Some of you had asked me to post some of my hikes here in Washington, so I thought I'd send along this report of a short backpack along the coast on the Olympic Peninsula.

Here's a map of the area:

Olympic Coast Map

(Rialto Beach is at the end of the road marked "Mora")

A friend from work (Lisa) and some of her friends and I took off Saturday morning. It was raining during the drive over, but the sky cleared for our hike.

We left from Rialto Beach and headed north. I told you it was short, we only hiked a mile and a half up the beach and set up camp. (This was more of a fun trip than anything else, the only tricky spot was fording Ellen Creek where it came down to the beach).

We then headed further north exploring tide pools and going through the Hole in the Wall during low tide. After a bit, we returned to camp, grilled some shrimp on the barbie and drank some wine and generally just enjoyed ourselves.

During the night we were visited by raccoons (which are the real reason for the obligatory bear canisters in that area), deer, and at least one bobcat, along with the eagles and other assorted birds.

It rained during the night but had stopped just in time for us to get up. After a leisurely breakfast (there's a theme there), we packed up and headed home after stopping for pizza in Port Angeles.

It was my first time using my new backpack (an REI Venus pack, if you want to know), I've got some tweaking to do but all in all a successful test.

Lisa put some pictures on her web site, here is the link:

Rialto Beach to Hole in the Wall

I must say I prefer the mountains to the beach but this weekend was a blast...

Last edited:
Linda
I understand that is a great winter hike and plan on doing it one of these days. I read awhile back about an interesting hike from a state park, (forget the name ) west of Shelton, I believe in Grays Harbour County. The trail is rather long but exits the park and continues to the ocean. Have you heard of that one? My bad for such vague details.

Hey Antler Peak,

I have not heard of that hike, most of the State Parks that I'm aware of are right near the beaches, since they cater to picnickers and trailer camping.

There is the Ozette loop, but that's in the National Park (3 miles to the beach, 3 miles down the beach, 3 miles back to the car).

Linda

PS: I'll be doing some exploring around Sunrise at Mt. Rainier this summer, maybe I'll climb Antler Peak in your honor! :)

Linda, if you go to Sunrise be sure to consider Mt Fremont, Burroughs both First and Second Burroughs. Third Burroughs looks possible if you can find a route from 2nd. It appears it could be time consuming and strenous though, not a quick trip. Been meaning to do that just havn't found the time yet. Skyscrapper is a great mountain a bit NW of Frozen Lake along the Wonderland Trail. Also a very senic and very easy hike is the Naches Peak Loop in Chinook Pass on Hwy 410. But then again there is way too much to take in without spending considerable time. One thing for sure you can't go wrong just about everything is really good.

As for Antler there is no official trail a way trail followed the ridge just above the bench about a four hundred foot rise from the parking area at Sunrise. Yes an actual wood sitting bench, the park service was threatening to close the way trail ( herd path ) off a few years back. In 2003, last time I was there they hadn't done it yet. Have fun that is a fantastic area with enough hiking to keep you coming back again and again.

The beach hike from the state park was one of those they wrote up in the Seattle PI and I can't find it now, oh well.

Last edited: