Hundred Mile Wilderness in June

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheChez

Reaction score
I'm considering a June hike of the Hundred Mile wilderness with my 14 year old son (a "shakedown" hike for Philmont Scout Ranch). Aside from an abundance of black flies and mosquitos, what are conditions like that time of year? Is the trail heavily used then? Is is very wet?

Library Read

Sojourn in the Wilderness: A Seven Month Journey on the Appalachian Trail
by Kenneth Wadness

I came upon this title in the library and, among it's many characteristics (some good, some not appealing to me personally), was a good descriptive narrative. The author described the Hundred-Mile Wilderness most memorably: wet, challenging, buggy in the extreme.

He made it sound like the difficult parts were almost insurmountable (including, for him, unbroken-in boots and over 80 -- that's right, eighty -- pounds of gear), countered in the evenings by the relief of a cool breeze by a lake. He did make it seem as if the bugs were the primary issue, so extreme that it reminds me of winter's "no-exposed-skin-rule."

He fell in mud up to hip level multiple times on this section, getting stuck and much muddier trying to extricate himself. He also has some excellent photographs (really, outstanding, throughout the book) of the blow-downs and having to find the route amidst the not-yet-cleared winter damage.

Also, he said that he deliberately scheduled the trip to begin in July in part because of the bugs and wet (and he was a school teacher).

So I know it's not a pretty picture, and I again say I haven't been there, but I think I'd avoid going at that particular time of year. Perhaps a more consistently higher-elevation locale is more conducive. As usual, your experience may vary (and I haven't personally been there, I think I mentioned that).

It almost sounds like the polar opposite of Philmont.

Hope this helps, sorry it's such a downer reply!

--M.

We haven't yet hiked the 100 mile wilderness yet, but I would guess that in June you'd run into at least a few southbound Appalachian Trail hikers who are headed from Katahdin to Springer. I'd also assume, based on our general hiking experience in late spring/early summer, that you would run into a lot of black flies and some wet trails. But if you're prepared for that, why not? Any time out in the woods is better than none :)
Have fun!

Two words: black flies and water crossings. (sorry, that's 4 words)

Rambler and I did it in September and we were turned back at one spot by a stream crossing.

It is a gorgeous area and well worth the effort, but a late season trek would be much more pleasant IMHO.

One suggestion: stay over at White House Landing. Great spot, very nice owner. We sent a food mail drop there and that helped a lot with lightening our load.

Here's my report for what it's worth: 100 Mile Wilderness and Katahdin report

Most of all, have fun.

Last edited:
I ran into a couple of Southbounders in Rangeley over the 4th of July weekend, about 4 or 5 years ago. They started from Katahdin in early June. Their bodies were COVERED with black fly and deer fly bites, that they said primarily came from the 100 Mile Wilderness. They were in very good spirts, however....

> It almost sounds like the polar opposite of Philmont.
> Hope this helps, sorry it's such a downer reply!

My son figures Philmont (7 mile days, 7% maximum grade) will feel like be a vacation after the trip.

I'll see if my library has the book. It would make good reading for my son. We can cope with the insects, and I don't think we would carry 80 lbs between the two of us! Our other concern would be high water as someone already mentioned. After discussing it with the family it looks like we would be going on the first week of July. I expect it would not be heavily traveled then.

TheChez said:
looks like we would be going on the first week of July. I expect it would not be heavily traveled then.

By July most of the trail will have had the blowdowns removed by MATC. By the end of June well over 100 Southbounders will have left Baxter Park if the trend of the last several years holds true. By July the camp groups will be hitting the 100 Mile and you'll see a surprising amount of day and weekend hikers once school lets out. Bring DEET, headnets, and a tent to sleep in. White House Landing (worth the visit, good food, nice folks) doesn't handle mail-drop resupply packages anymore, but there are folks who will help you with food caches at the KI Road and other places. Check out PapaBear's links, he writes excellent trip reports.
TJ aka Teej
ALDHA AT Thru-hikers' Companion Field Editor, Caratunk > Katahdin
You can view the ATC's Companion for free at www.aldha.org

Sounds like a good plan switching to July. Last year I met a few SOBO's that said the 100 Mile was almost impossible due to the bugs. Everything was done in the tent, from cooking to just lounging, and they still racked up too many bites to count.

I hiked Kahtadin and the 100 mile wilderness South to Monson over Fourth of July week two years ago.

The black flies and mosquitos were very thick, but doable with a head net and a lot of DEET.

The trail was in good condition and the river crossings were average with only one that came up to my shorts.

I had encountered southbounders and northbounders on my trip.

The wilderness is a great section of trail with lots of lakes with many moose sightings.

I returned last year to continue Monson to Rangley with similar conditions. It was a good time of year to hike as long as you are prepared for the bugs.

the bugs will be absolutely miserable in the 100 mile wilderness that time of year. I would suggest Acadia as the place to go to in june. Plenty of hiking, lots fewer bugs, and virtually no tourists that time of year.

Seriously, DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE the insects on that stretch of trail at that time of year. There are lots of people here who can ignore black flies but who won't do that hike at that time because they're so bad. Picture, for example, eating supper with a headnet on, lifting it quickly to get each spoonful into your mouth. Particularly for a young kid, no matter how experienced, it could be miserable. Sorry, but that's the reality of the Maine woods. :eek:

not just black flies either:
I did trail work in the Little Lyford Pond area in early July 2004 & these @#!@#%@#% midges (aka no-see-ums) were so bad I had to spend half my time running away or swatting them instead of doing trailwork. We didn't really encounter many black flies.

Not sure which is worse. Midges you get itchy pain instantly, I don't remember the long-term effects being too bad. Black flies are annoying & bloody & the itchiness is spread into the future days.

Last mid-June I hiked a loop that included Chairback and Chairback Ponds all decked out in full biting insect regalia which I gradually shed as I realized the bugs weren't so bad after all. Maybe it was the garlic ... maybe that's why I was solo ... but maybe it's the luck of the draw.

This year, having been a relatively dry winter, gives us reason to be a bit optimistic about bug season but a lot depends on the weather over the next couple of months.

A lot depends upon your preparation and frame of mind. I don't mind a few bites but I hate it when they get stuck in my ear, under my eyelids, up my nose and between my teeth!

Mad Townie said:
Particularly for a young kid, no matter how experienced, it could be miserable. Sorry, but that's the reality of the Maine woods. :eek:

I'm thinking that I should at least take my son out on a test hike in black fly season to see how he manages. We tend to dress in long pants and long sleeves anyway and I've always found DEET effective.

We're considering alternatives as well, we want an 8-9 day trip in the Northeast.

According to NOAA the northeast got almost 1" more precipitaiton this winter than normal. Maine got 1.5" more than normal (where normal = average(1895-2006)).

you can play with the figures yourself here

I agree with Stan, tolerating the critters is a matter of frame of mind.

spencer

Ah, Spencer, just wait until those little critters get a piece of that new face of yours! :D

8-9 day trip in the northeast eh?

Why not do a chunk of the Fingerlakes Trail in New York, or the Long Path perhaps.

Less bugs for sure, and depending on what section you pick, can still be quite remote.

Just thinking out loud here......

spencer said:
According to NOAA the northeast got almost 1" more precipitaiton this winter than normal. Maine got 1.5" more than normal (where normal = average(1895-2006)).

Yep, he's right, but then the interpretation confirms, for me at least, more subjective data.

First, the above average precipitation came in January. February and March were below normal. All three months had above average mean temperatures, suggesting perhaps rain when there could have been more snow. My own observation based on soil conditions at home and river levels in general, is that we're starting off the season much dryer than usual.

Unfortunately, I haven't been to the 100 mile wilderness this winter but I postponed one trip, the 100 mile wilderness dogsled races which were canceled in February due to lack of snow and then canceled a xc ski trip into Medawisla Camps because you could "drive right in".

There'll still be bugs but think positive. They're not that hard to pick out of your ears, eyelids, nose and teeth ... besides, they say they're full of protein. ;)

Stan said:
There'll still be bugs but think positive. They're not that hard to pick out of your ears, eyelids, nose and teeth ... besides, they say they're full of protein. ;)

Indeed the black flies might be a good dietary supplement for my growing 14 year old boy. We'll be able to pack lighter! And while I've never made a complete meal of them, as a "seasoning" they are sweet.

Thanks!

TheChez said:

Indeed the black flies might be a good dietary supplement for my growing 14 year old boy. We'll be able to pack lighter! And while I've never made a complete meal of them, as a "seasoning" they are sweet.
Hoping for a closed cycle system--they eat you, you eat them? :)

Doug