Ban on hiking in VT in May?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The GMC strongly discourages hiking from April 15th till the end of memorial day weekend on the long trail system. The state of Vermont "officialy" closes trails on Camel's Hump and Mount Mansfield during the same period. Camels Hump and Mount Mansfield are mostly VT state land which gives them authority to close the trails. Both summits are heavily used and susceptible to damage during mud season.

Can't really comment on Camel's Hump or Mansfield but I was on Killington this past weekend 4/30 (I didn't know about the state's policy during mud season, do now though) mud season is over on Killington or there never was one. Still ice near the summit.
OMW

Both Camels Hump and Mt. Mansfield are VT State Parks. And they are closed until some time in late May. Like Ivy says, check the GMC website or the VT dept of parks website.

I would imagine that the trails will be opened earlier than memorial day this year. Snowpack is down this year, and there is very little mud in most places. Unless a monsoon rolls through soon, most peaks will be dry and snow free in a few weeks.