AMC huts during caretaker season?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamstream

Reaction score
Headed down into the pemi area for 5 days in May, it will be my first time to stay in the huts off season. Just wondering how it works out for cooking, AMC staff passed on that we have use of the kitchen, but is seems this could be a bit wild if you had dozens of people trying to prep meals at the same time.

Any experiences, or recomendations?

i have only stayed at huts during the much cheaper caretaker status (carter and galehead) and there is usually no problem in the kitchen. if there is a lot of people staying at the hut, the caretaker has a sign-up sheet for cooking times.

the secret is to bring plenty of snacks for hiking and bring just barely enough food for dinner because everyone always has yummy leftovers and nobody wants to pack it out :)

william

they post a schedule and everyone signs up for a cooking time slot where you will have the kitchen. You will not need anything except your food. They have pots, pans, utensils, plates, glasses, etc...it is the only way I have stayed at a hut.

Thanks

Sounds like the hut crews have things in order. will plan to make simple meals though with extras on the cheeze and crakers and what not before dinner, and make just add hot water breakfasts.

Maybe will try to do a bit for more for cooking on a shorter distance day.

Using the huts sure cuts the weight and will be real nice if the weather is against us.

I stayed at Carter Notch hut last fall. definite plus, being able to use the kitchen. They do seem to have everything in terms of utensils.

I brought one of those just-add-water bread mixes from Pillsbury, it turned out very well -- good use of the weight I had to carry. Some of the other people there actually brought corn-on-the-cob which seems a bit crazy (you only eat 10-20%? of the weight and most of that is water), but boy it smelled good.

Too much, I though it was a strech to bring corn on the cob for a 4 day canoe trip. Years later I am still living it down.

And of that 10-20% you eat how much do you absorb?

Fresh hot bread with some butter and home made jam after a day of hiking up and down 2-3 thousand feet, mmmmmm.

I'm trying to remember if the huts provide a pillow and those wool blankets in caretaker self serve season. Is it just one blanket as opposed to the 3 you get in full serve season?
Thanks.

I don't remember for sure, but I feel like I got a pillow at Mizpah last spring while the caretaker was there. Our group of 3 were the only ones there and we didn't have to ask. I don't bring my own pillow and don't remember needing to make one out of clothing or anything. I have no idea what we got for blankets as I had my sleeping bag and would have just put the blanket under me for more padding.

I'm trying to remember if the huts provide a pillow and those wool blankets in caretaker self serve season. Is it just one blanket as opposed to the 3 you get in full serve season?
Thanks.

From my trip report from October 2012 at:
http://1slowhiker.blogspot.com/2012_10_09_archive.html

"The hut was in the self-service season which means you have to bring and cook your own food but you have full use of the kitchen, stove, pots, pans, plates, bowls, etc. The bunks only have mattresses and pillows in the off season so you need to bring your sleeping bag. Not being a Saturday, the hut was less then half full and I was able to get a 6 bunk bunk room all to myself (see pictures). $25 for shelter, a nice bunk and mattress, kitchen facilities, water supply, and bathroom facilities is a pretty good deal I think."

One of my pictures from that report confirms that for that hut (Carter-Notch) and that year that only pillows (no blankets) were provided.

Last edited: