One trail in the Presis not to miss...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markv

Reaction score
It's been a long 19 months since my last visit and hike in New England. Just after Memorial Day i'll be back. I have 2 days and am looking to do Madison, Adams, Jefferson, Monroe, and Washington. What trail(s) is YOUR favorite, must-do-at-least-once trail involving any of those peaks? I'd like to pick a trail or two, and then tailor my bivy spot to fit it, whether it's RMC shelter or just winging it (legally).

If i got ZERO answers (fat chance from you lucky obsessive VFTT'ers), i would just go back in the Great Gulf, drop camp somewhere, head up 6 Husbands or Buttress to do the northern peaks one day, and then on the second day go up the Great Gulf to Washington and Monroe and then head down ??? Crag trail or even hitch down the toll road or something. The second day of this, minus Monroe is basically what i did on my only other visit there, and it would be interesting to climb it NOT covered in snow and ice like it was when i was there before. But, i'd hate to copy a route if there is some other route that i shouldn't miss.

Too bad no camping up above treeline...it seems that would be THE way to have a camp not overridden with bugs. And the Huts aren't going to be quite open yet.

markv said:
What trail(s) is YOUR favorite, must-do-at-least-once trail involving any of those peaks?
King Ravine, without a doubt. You can hit Adams or Madison after topping the headwall. Pretty much a one-day trip but you could extend and camp if you wanted. Better camping spots IMO if you come down south of Ravine, rather than to the north. Maybe stay in Crag Camp.

the great gulley is short but exhilarating and (i don't have me book wif me) the trail that runs betwixt the randolph path or israel ridge trail over toward crag camp. try these. if ya want. i like 'em!

have fun! :)

the northern presidentials are my favorites if i had to pick one area fo' sho'! :)

I always like taking Chemin des Dames out of King Ravine and up to Airline, from which you could tackle Madison or Adams. The Star Lake Trail from Madison Hut to Adams' summit is a great one, too. For the descent, Lowes Path seems most agreeable to me.
All in all, though, it's hard to go too wrong in the Northern Presis!

Full pack? I'd be tempted to pick something less steep like Lowe's or Jewell.

Since I Mostly day hike though I do like the steep trails too. Like Huntington, have done it twice, Ammo when the water is running is nice too, can get crowded on weekends though.

So far I've managed not to do KRT yet, that would be my Adams's must do soon trail. (Since a Traverse is my next expected trip though I'll opt for a mellow ascent though - especially since it will likely be with low light)

If you're not into the shelter thing, I found that camping in the area of the junction of the Amphibrach, King Ravine, and Randolph Path is a nicely located spot. Easy access to King Ravine, Madison, Castle Ravine, and Adams. I use a hammock but a tent should fit in somewhere around there. In my younger days, I bivied off the airline,(hopefully I was 1/4 mile below treeline) and below the Castles(hammock spot only). But I'm not going to get a full pack that high again, so I like a nice base camp. King and Castle Ravines are a must in my book. And the Castle Ridge in good weather is one of my top three.

northern ok, but...

Sounds like the consensus is that it's worth it to come from the north since i haven't done it especially. But, given that we only have one car, two days, and want to cram Monroe and Washington in there, is the idea then to leave camp on the northern slopes and hike all the way back??? Hitchhike instead? Again, this would be just before the AMC shuttle starts running.

markv said:
Sounds like the consensus is that it's worth it to come from the north since i haven't done it especially. But, given that we only have one car, two days, and want to cram Monroe and Washington in there, is the idea then to leave camp on the northern slopes and hike all the way back??? Hitchhike instead? Again, this would be just before the AMC shuttle starts running.

A two-day trip to the Northern Presidentials could start at Pinkham Notch camp. Hike up the Boott Spur trail to the top of Boott Spur, then follow the Camel trail to Lakes of the Clouds hut. From there, go up and down the Monroe summit. Then follow the Crawford Path to summit Washington, take Gulfside to Edmand's Col and the Randolph Path to the Perch. Next day, follow Israel Ridge to the summit of Adams, down to Madison hut and up over Madison. Then follow the AT back to Pinkham.

Is knees are an issue, what trai you descend may be more crucial then what you go up. Easiest descent on the Knees IMO for Presidentials would be Valley Way, Lowe's Randolph, Jewell & Edmands. All of these are on the side opposite PNVC though.

Hitching to the trailhead in the Morning usually is not too bad providing you don't look extra scary. I've gotten rides before & on weekends I may resemble a bear.