Presidentials in late May?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl Hungus

Reaction score
I'm planning on backpacking the Presidential and Carter Ranges in late May. I've never been in this section of the Whites and I know the weather can still be very winter-like at this time. How were these areas of the Whites affected this winter? Does anyone have any advice as far as gear (crampons?, snowshoes?) , trails to avoid, etc?

Karl Hungus said:
I'm planning on backpacking the Presidential and Carter Ranges in late May. I've never been in this section of the Whites and I know the weather can still be very winter-like at this time. How were these areas of the Whites affected this winter? Does anyone have any advice as far as gear (crampons?, snowshoes?) , trails to avoid, etc?
Not much snow up there. There's still plenty but by late May, unless they get a mammoth dumping and then cool weather, you should be ok. Two years ago I remember postholing through 6 feet of rotten snow on the Ammo, now I doubt there's 1 or 2 feet.

There are several trails you may or may not feel comfortable on with a heavy pack -- ascending or descending. Consult the guide book. I've seen plenty of people go on Six Husbands with a heavy pack so it'll be up to you to decide what your comfort level is. Have fun!

-Dr. Wu

Generally could be snow (though probably not this year!) in shaded areas at higher elevations (spruce-fir zone in 3500'-4500').

I hiked Liberty / Flume last Memorial day wkend & there was still snow below both peaks, not enough that I couldn't bare boot it, but enough that it made me a bit nervous.

the carter range held snow on the high ridges until early june last year. i would expect there would be less snow this year, but more snow is certainly a possiblity this spring. it was generally soft and barebootable, but posed a postholing problem in the afternoon hours of a nice warm day.
sounds like a nice trip you have planned. i would also suggest some exploration of the wild river valley while you are in the vicinity if time permits and enjoy the view from mount hight if the weather is nice.

bryan

Thanks for the responses. I'll keep an eye on the weather for the next few weeks and gear up accordingly. This will be my first extended trip of the year and I can't wait to get out there.