Found Objects

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1 ski pole, used it 2 weeks ago.
1 of those everything knives. still have it, don't know where it is.
2 rings, 1 returned to it's rightful owner, had a name on it (college ring)

neil wrote;
"So anyway, there I was hiking away to my hearts content not far from Moosilauke last summer and what did I find but a ton, and I mean a TON of old red balloons" ( 2 ells, 2 ohs).

he he he, the human moose and myself found a red bal :D :D n while whackin' up wolf cub last fall :eek:

p.p.s. found a human skull once too while bushwhackin' notified the proper authorities and took them up there the next day to retrieve that poor souls remains :(

Last edited:
Over the years. . .

A Leatherman Micro multi-purpose tool
Swiss Army knife - some kind of fishing version of the knife
a couple of carabiners
Mountainsmith pack cover in brand new condition
many Nalgene bottles and other assorted water bottles
countless pieces of various clothing that we usually hang from a branch
A Nikon digital camera which we were able to return to its owner
And two unopened beers- one on Cherry Mt and one on Cannon. They looked fresh. We popped both of them and they tasted fine.

Last edited:
Stan said:
On the way up Dorset I found a Timex watch, in the snow, with a broken band. It was still ticking so I ate it. :D

I used to hike the Franconia loop every Monday. I found everything you guys ever lost over the weekend. I ate it all. I was so stuffed on Monday nights. :eek: Then lots of other people started hiking on weekdays too. Now there's hardly anything at all to eat. Oh for those good old fat days.

Found:
AA Maglight, found in an iron mine in Harriman. still use, but it isn't as bright as my other.
Nikon Binoculars found on Black Dome - tried to find the owner, but now use
Nice EMS Sleeping Bag found near Mt van Hovenberg trailhead. I was leaving the Daks that day, so I placed it in a plastic bag at the trailhead with a note.
Three 32 oz cans of Dinty More Stew on Stoppel Point. That stuff was so heavy, now I know why they left it. No, I didn't eat it.
A thong :eek: found near North Point (Cats). Too small for me so I tossed it in the trash (with a stick).

Jim

I found a 14K gold bracelet while heading down the ski slopes on Mt Tecumseh (Waterville Valley) one spring about 10 years ago... I still have it (tough to pass off a weathered man's bracelet to the wife as a gift) :D

I also have found an insulated bottle holder on the Castle Trail on Jefferson 2 winters ago, which has the name Pat written on it. I have used it a few times and since my name is not Pat, I modified it to say, "Go Pat's" :)

As for lost items, I lost a glove to the wind up on Boot Spur a few weeks ago. I took it off to unrope, and it flew like a bullet out of my hand and went off into the distance... Probably somewhere in the Atlantic right now... :eek:

gear, camera, drugs, but the strangest was a note written by a middle school aged girl to a friend explaining why he was right for ratting out his friends that had obtained alcohol. it was nicely folded and lying on the ammo trail. lots of hearts, abbreviations, and "street" talk. sent it in to found magazine, but don't know if they ever used it.
what is truly amazing are the things people leave behind at the huts. i don't know how many times i heard pinkham notch radioing to such and such hut about john doe leaving his blackberry, backpack!, small child, etc. at the hut. it was always followed by a request for the crew to hike it down for them. lots of free unclaimed gear comes with that job. found a nice goretex jacket with an unused phish ticket in the pocket from 03 out at carter notch.
oh yeah, and trash.

bryan

The strangest thing I found was a canteen. What was strange, was not the fact that it was a canteen, but where I found it. About 10 years I was climbing the east Dix slide with my son, and there was a newly blown down tree at the edge of the slide. Right in the center of the bottom of the rootball, was the canteen. with the roots grown all around it, was the canteen.

That means that this canteen was lost, leaves/etc covered it, then a tree grew on top of it. Only when the tree blew down, did the canteen show up again. Judging by the size of the tree, I'd figure it had been there at least 25 years.

But that's not all. It was half full of water. I opened it up, and the water smelled nice and sweet. I was thirsty...

If it wasn't for this board the item I found would probably still be hanging in my storage cupboard and being used regularly by yours truly.

In the fall of 2004 I bumped into a certain well known and much loved ex gold member on the top of Marshall doing some trail clearing. We had a good chat and then parted company,returning in opposite directions.
After a mile or so I came across a nice Leki Hiking pole lying beside some perfectly cut brush. "AH AH!" says I "I bet I know who that belongs to!" A quick PM when I get back home and sure enough I get invited out for a KOLD one... the happy owner gets his pole back and I get a couple of beers. :)

Last edited:
I found one of -THESE- .

it was about 3500 feet in the col between to trailless bushwhack peaks in the Jay Wilderness. Nary a road or trail within a few miles. Much as I wanted to take it as it would come in handy at time, I didn't.

I've found a knife or two in my day and a few misc. items of worthless gear. Nothing exciting. As for food or drink. Depends on how hungrey of thirsty I was :D

Last edited:
a folding trout net

stuffed bunny-left a note at the trail register with my phone number-this one I felt really bad about knowing a child was probably really missing the stuffed animal that had gone on a hike

cheap knife

I once found a full pack about a 1/2 mile up the trail to Lafayette. We're talking sleeping bag everything. Couldn't quite figure out what to do with it so I carried it up the trail as it was early in the morning and I hadn't encountered anyone coming down the trail. Thought maybe they would realize they were missing something and come back for it.

Carried that thing almost to treeline before running into the owner. I think I should have charged for sherpa duties.

As to food, I never eat anything I find on the trail. I prefer to scope out the hikers with the gourmet foods and then hang around them making whimpering sounds until they throw me some scraps. :D

I once found a Folding Buck knife (Bucklite 3) stuck in a picnic table at Shattucks Clearing back in '91 when I was thruhiking the Northville Placid Trail. Thre was no one else around - for miles. It was next to an empty tin of sardines.
I still have it - It is a great knife.

Picked up a hat once on the 19 Mile Brook trail in the Carters, otherwise I've found nothing worthwile.

I found

PinPin (Sr.) asleep in the Sewards. Naughty rabbit had jumped out of Alain's rucksack and was hiding.

Also found a Leatherman on a trip up Allen (on my only unplanned night out in the High Peaks).

I kept the Leatherman and returned the rabbit.

mavs00 said:
I found one of -THESE- .

it was about 3500 feet in the col between to trailless bushwhack peaks in the Jay Wilderness. Nary a road or trail within a few miles. Much as I wanted to take it as it would come in handy at time, I didn't.
So that's where I lost that! I thought my pack seemed lighter on the way out! ;)

Interesting that knives and Leatherman tools seem to be the things that people find and remember most. No exception here.

I found a Swiss Army Knife near the Sabbath Day Pond lean-to on the Maine AT in great condition. If this belongs to anyone, please PM me. If you correctly describe the knife and when you lost it, I will return it to its rightful owner. :D

I also found a Gushers wrapper once and think that it belongs to a VFTT member. I did not keep it, so this member cannot claim it. ;)
Marty

I have found a good amount of bandanas and random gloves along the way.
My biggest coup was about 8 years ago finding a LL Bean down sleeping bag in its stuff sack at a remote campsite. I left a note with my phone # at the trailhead, but no one claimed it. I've been sleeping in that beauty ever since! :)
One time I found a disposable camera that had half its pictures taken. Getting that thing developed was, um.... interesting.