Peakbagging lists

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom Rankin said:
Views And Brews! We have a finisher now! I'll let them announce it when they are ready!
The one who told me (s)he recently drove 1200 miles to get it? Someone who seems to go after every list imaginable?

By the way... newer patch making technology lets them make a patch relatively inexpensively from a JPG file. Expensive setup fees of the past wil be disappearing. Design whatever patch you want, and have it made!

Catskills 100 (102) Highest__________?________?
Thus far there is no patch nor to the best of my knowledge any completers. Seems like the first completer should get dibs on the design. If they are artistically challenged we could subcontract the work to timmus... Perhaps a wounded hiker emerging from one of the scratchier Catskill 3Ks (which would resemble Poule, VFTT's most demonic avatar cat). :eek: For the winter patch we could substitute Pete's angelic Felix. :cool:

Raymond said:
How does Northeast Cannonball not have a trail to the top? Where's the official summit, then?
about 3 steps off the trail to the left if your headed to cannon,or to the right if your headed to kinsman pond. a very long and tough bushwhack i guess by the "Y" standards!! :eek:

Last edited:
Neil said:
Winter bushwhack of all ADK 100 highest summits.

There isn't a patch as far as I know but what the heck, imagine the fun. :D

Who needs a patch when you have scars?

What about the 7 summits? Do "they" give out a patch for that?

Re: the ADK's 46. They gave out the designation 46-B for a guy who bushwhacked them all. John E. Winkler. He said in his book that Colvin was the toughest.

I often think of the "Waterway" 46 (or 48, or 115 etc.). You would have to use rivers, creeks and streams as much as possible, walking right in the middle of them as far up as you could go. Best not done in the spring or after heavy rainfall. I am unaware of any finishers or patches.

obscure lists and patches

There exist patches for the NH 100 highest and also for the NH 3000 footers (I have them). The lists are available on request. There is also a patch (not from me) for the very few hardy souls who have completed the NHHH in winter. At one time the original compilers of the NHHH and 3000 footer lists were concerned that widespread distribution of these lists would lead to people attempting to climb them for the wrong reasons.

I myself have no idea what a wrong reason might constitute and very little idea of what a right reason is as well, but will respect the wishes of the compilers.

Both lists have some pretty nasty bushwhack peaks on them as well as peaks on privately held land with potential access problems. Good map and compass skills/ off trail hiking skills are necessary.

Having said that, these peaks also offer a tremendous wilderness-ish experience and opportunites to observe a wide range of NH forest environments.

cantdog said:
In addition to what was previously said, there is no patch for the Y-List as far as I know. If that ever changes, the person to ask would be Jerry Hapgood of the Manchester Y. And yes, since it's the NH 100 highest with trails to the summit, it does not include peaks like Nancy and the Cannonball.

As Papa Bear about the *50 Finest.*

I thought NE cannonball had a trail over the summit, if it doesn't then I don't have it, I thought that I bagged it staying on trail while hiking over all three cannonballs on my route from Kinsman Pond to the summit of Cannon, hmm, its not like I really am working on the HH lists anyway, but I keep track if I am on one of those peaks

I also think Eric's T3000 is pretty straightforward, its just 3000', a trail, and a col requirement (not sure if its 100' or 200')

jmegillon149 said:
I thought NE cannonball had a trail over the summit, if it doesn't then I don't have it, I thought that I bagged it staying on trail while hiking over all three cannonballs on my route from Kinsman Pond to the summit of Cannon

If you hiked over the trail from Kinsmans Pond on the way to Canon - most people claim the NE Canonball. There are some peaks which are off the main trail 5 or 10', and the truly anal may argue that unless the designated summit is touched then you can't claim it. I chose to be anal about other things ...

cantdog said:
So did Random Scooter design his own patch?

Tom Haskins (Randomscooter) and Alain (Pin Pin) finished the ADK100 in winter (one winter, 2002 I believe). They are the only known finishers that I have heard of for the ADK100W. Tom told me he made up a few patches for himself and Alain and that was that. Nothing formal, just a bond between friends I beleive, a gift from one peakbagger to another.

There is, as Pete mentioned, no recognition formal or otherwise, for completion of a regular round. No patch. no club, no nothing....... perhaps some relly justified pride. In fact, no one even knows how many have ever finished. Some say 20-30, some say as much as 75-100. My guess, it's closer to the bottom #.

John Swanson and I worked on a design for the Northeast 3000 footers and then had 30 patches made back in 1996, just prior to our completion of the 770 peak list together the following year. So far (4) people have qualified for it that we know of. We figure anyone who has invested 10+ years on such a whacky pursuit (approx. 2/3 of which are bushwhacks) deserves a patch without charge, don't you think?

Dennis C. said:
.... completion of the 770 peak list ....... We figure anyone who has invested 10+ years on such a whacky pursuit (approx. 2/3 of which are bushwhacks) deserves a patch without charge, don't you think?
They deserve SOMETHING but I'm not sure a patch is what it is.

Last edited:
Now, why isn't there a comprehensive, exhaustive table of widely known/accepted awards (including official ones we all know of) with the contact person on it ??? I'm talking of the NE3000, NH100, etc...and others I might have missed.

There is also the Taconic Crest Trail End-to-End. I know there is a group who sponsors this event each year (usually in early May). I think it was either an ADK chapter or the Taconic hiking club???

And yes, there is always viewsandbrews!! Pete who drove 1200 miles? Were they actually working on this list or something else?

Motabobo said:
Now, why isn't there a comprehensive, exhaustive table of widely known/accepted awards (including official ones we all know of) with the contact person on it ??? I'm talking of the NE3000, NH100, etc...and others I might have missed.
Cuz YOU havn't put it together. :D

cantdog said:
All comments on Cannonball's absence in the Y-List should be directed to Jerry Hapgood, the adventure director of the Greater Manchester Family YMCA. He revises the list periodically.
Maybe if enough people complain he will revise the list, there are at least 2 other peaks besides Cannonball that would bump peaks on his list but he blew me off when I complained.

He seems to be one of those people who never changes his mind, just like Trailwrights didn't add NW Hancock until Hal Graham retired as listmeister.

RoySwkr said:
... just like Trailwrights didn't add NW Hancock until Hal Graham retired as listmeister.
Thanks, Roy! I had been wondering for a long time why NW Hancock was suddenly added, in spite of the "no modifications of the list" policy that was in place for many years.

RoySwkr said:
Maybe if enough people complain he will revise the list, there are at least 2 other peaks besides Cannonball that would bump peaks on his list but he blew me off when I complained.

He seems to be one of those people who never changes his mind, just like Trailwrights didn't add NW Hancock until Hal Graham retired as listmeister.

Is this why Dixville Peak isn't on the Y-Alpine List? I was up there on Monday, and it sure seemed to me like a trail went all the way to the summit.