"climb for the wrong reasons"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carole

Reaction score
bill bowden said:
...At one time the original compilers of the NHHH and 3000 footer lists were concerned that widespread distribution of these lists would lead to people attempting to climb them for the wrong reasons.

I myself have no idea what a wrong reason might constitute and very little idea of what a right reason is as well, but will respect the wishes of the compilers.

I found this statement (from the thread "Peakbagging lists"), "would lead to people attempting to climb them for the wrong reasons" to be quite interesting. I hope 'bill' won't mind me using his post as a start to a new thread but I think it would be quite interesting to read peoples comments as to 'right' or 'wrong' reasons for pursuing a 'list'.

I don't believe there is a "wrong" reason to hike. There are perhaps reasons that are far from my personal values and maybe from most of the members of this site too. But, that dosn't make them wrong.

Whatever gets you through the night, is allright.

I believe this is a subject that has been touched upon a few times but can be revisited.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a right or wrong reason for persuing a "list". I think it's a personal reason why each individual would persue a list. I'd believe that many folks are goal driven and completing a "list" gives them a goal to achieve. I'm one of those individuals, but once I've come to find that once I've completed my 46, I'll plan to revisit certain peaks that I found extremely enjoyable or challenging to hike. The "list" has me visiting peaks I may not have ventured upon if it didn't exist for me.

Of course, the problem with "lists", once you complete one list, you keep finding yourself making a new one...

I agree with Shewolf. I also think that most all ambitious people have "lists" which translate into goals. I also think people like to "make" memories from these lists, and some people do it with the attempt to "erase" memories. Whatever the reason, I believe it to be inconsequential so long as it is not just for "bragging". Each individual has to face themselves in the mirror, thats where you will find the real reason for their "List".

C.Tracy said:
Whatever the reason, I believe it to be inconsequential so long as it is not just for "bragging".

So for bragging rights only it would be wrong?

Pete_Hickey said:
I climbed just for the money.

For the money is wrong?

I found the statement interesting since the comment was “concerned that widespread distribution of these lists would lead to people attempting to climb them for the wrong reasons”. I recently was faced with a similar thought as I was aware of a list to hike peaks in an area dear to my heart. If I shared the list would it encourage more foot traffic (in a very low traveled area) and cause trash and damage to a nice area? Would people just go to ‘do’ another list and not appreciate the area? Would problems be caused for abutting property owners and access become limited? I mulled it over for awhile but realized that whether I shared the list or not word would travel and whether the reasons were ‘right’ or wrong’ for someone to pursue the list only time will demonstrate the results.

I guess I would have to define "Bragging", which can be looked at many different ways. I would not consider "sharing of experiences" as "Bragging". I would consider "Bragging" to be words out of the mouth from some obnoxious "blow hole" who can't stop talking about themself. You know, the typical "know it all, done it all". I do think climbing for "Money" is way too cool :D .

carole said:
So for bragging rights only it would be wrong?

For the money is wrong?
Man, someone wants to pay me to hike, I'll hike even more. I'll even brag about it!

On a serious note however, I would keep it to myself if you want to keep this area less traveled. People will find out about it sometime anyway, no use excelerating it. Enjoy it while you can.

This little bird used to feed me opium at the top of this mountain - it kept me hiking... until he stopped... and then I stopped... and went crazy. Many months of rehab...

Hike your own hike - simple as that. If you're outside in nature and not causing harm to anyone it's fine with me.

I believe that the reasons why someone is hiking is just not our business.

Let's just say that hiking is more popular than ever, list or not, and it is better this than seeing the society getting obese.

I think cb kind of hit on it. The only wrong reason would be for a reason that does material harm to others. Let's say, hiking for the purpose of stealing other's equipment, or for the purpose of vandalizing the facilities or dumping garbage.

Everyone's right reasons are their own.

cbcbd said:
This little bird used to feed me opium at the top of this mountain - it kept me hiking... until he stopped... and then I stopped... and went crazy. Many months of rehab...

Hike your own hike - simple as that. If you're outside in nature and not causing harm to anyone it's fine with me.

i agree with abcde!!! or something like that!! :D ;)

and i also agree with timmus; http://www.vftt.org/forums/showpost.php?p=137237&postcount=12

i go out to the woods to go to new places, i travel the world to go to new places, call it a list or whatever you like. right or wrong it's what i like to do. :D

Last edited:
post'r boy said:
i agree with abcde!!! or something like that!! :D

and i also agree with timmus; http://www.vftt.org/forums/showpost.php?p=137237&postcount=12

i go out to the woods to go to new places, i travel the world to go to new places, call it a list or whatever you like. right or wrong it's what like to do. :D

And I agree with post'r boy . . . who agrees with timmus . . .

One person's right reason can be another person's wrong reason and vice versa.

Why does it matter to anyone what reason another has for hiking. Even my reasons are different from time to time, sometimes I go for the company, sometimes for the views, sometimes to think, sometimes to cry, sometimes to laugh and be joyful, sometimes for the exercise, sometimes for all or none of the above, but why I go is really for me to know . . .

I don't really think there is a right or wrong reason (except if the reason is to cause harm to others).

sli74

And I agree w/Seema, who agrees w/Post'r Boy, who agrees w/Timmus.

:D

But seriously, what gives any of us the right to question and judge others' reasons for doing *anything* in their own lives? And what's with this "right" and "wrong?" Personally, I stopped seeing things in such black-and-white terms a long time ago...

:cool:

I hike, therefore I am. :D

I agree with Stinky, who agrees with Seema, who agrees with Postr Boy, who agrees with Timmus ..... :D :D

I agree with....... well, all those folks (lost track by now) :D.

I've found that MANY people that begin to question peoples motives for "pursuing different lists" do so for other reasons than really questioning their doing so for the rightness or wrongness factor of it, if you get my drift ;) . I openly discuss an obscure list I'm chasing (ADK100) and I'm sure it pisses some off that I discuss it so freely (here and on my site). Why am I doing it. Quite simply it makes me feel good.

For me, its not really about the personal reasons why people climb. Those vary widely and cannot really be disputed. Whose to say my reasons are more (or less) valid than yours. So long as a healthy respect for the mountains we climb are in all of us, than the reasons we climb them are not all that important. It's about respect and humbleness (is that a word). It does not mater whether you stroll slowly, or run willy nilly over every summit, as long as you understand each summit and mountain is greater than you (and act that way while you are there), then it really matters not the specific reason for being there.

We're all there for a reason, and so long as each of us understand and appreciate the ground we tread over, then it's all good. I hope this makes sense, I sometimes have trouble putting these type thoughts to print :eek: