LL Bean Cresta Leather Hikers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dvbl

LL Bean has a "Roughout Tan" version of the Cresta Leather Hikers. The website says this adds improved scuff resistance. Anyone have any experience with this new version?

I wear the rough out all leather Cresta Hiker as my primary hiking boot and am very happy with it. I had the all leather smooth Cresta Hiker and much of the leather around the toe abraded, causing it to lose it's water repellency. The goretex inner sock still worked, but the outer leather shell would get wet. I replaced the boot because it's sole was worn down and it had lost much of it's stiffness, and hence was not as supportive. I probably have 500 miles on the rough out model, and it is doing fine. It needs much less leather treatment and doesn't look so raggedy.

dvbl said:
LL Bean has a "Roughout Tan" version of the Cresta Leather Hikers. The website says this adds improved scuff resistance. Anyone have any experience with this new version?

what do they look like?

I have a new pair of ASOLO TPS 520 GV Boots with only 5 or 6 hikes in them and have noticed that the toe box is becoming scuffed up. Is there anything that I can do to prevent them from getting too gouged? Would placing a piece of duck tap over the toe box help?

MadRiver said:
I have a new pair of ASOLO TPS 520 GV Boots with only 5 or 6 hikes in them and have noticed that the toe box is becoming scuffed up. Is there anything that I can do to prevent them from getting too gouged? Would placing a piece of duck tap over the toe box help?

Those 520's are by far the most comfortable boots I've ever put on. But unfortunately, they felt perfect in the store, but I new they'd be a little too narrow once I started hiking with a pack.

Anyway, about the scuffing: I've read that some folks use Shoo-Goo on the toes of boots without rands. Might not look too pretty, but it seems to work.

dvbl said:
Anyway, about the scuffing: I've read that some folks use Shoo-Goo on the toes of boots without rands. Might not look too pretty, but it seems to work.

At Limmer they recommended "Tough Toe" to me, a very rugged, two part flexible epoxy made just for this purpose. I'll tell you in 10 years if it worked on my boots.

dvbl said:
Those 520's are by far the most comfortable boots I've ever put on. But unfortunately, they felt perfect in the store, but I new they'd be a little too narrow once I started hiking with a pack.

I was a little concerned when I first bought them that their narrowness might be a problem. I did have to switch my liner sock from a thicker smart wool to a thinner Fox brand, as well as get them in a 1/2 size larger than normal. After several hikes, they have seemed to loosen up a tad. I also do not lace them to the toe box. By leaving the end eyelets in the toe box unlaced, it gives my toes a little more breathing room for both uphill and downhill travel.

Last edited:
I have a pair of the LL Bean Cresta Leather Hikers, not the rough out tan, but the all leather dark brown. I've had them for probably 6-7 years and they are still going strong. They are very comfortable, and required minimal break in. I wear them all summer and also on all my winter hikes, and they work fine. Great gripping on rock. I've found they work best with two pairs of socks - one light pair of poly pro socks as the 1st layer and a heavy pair of smartwool socks as the second layer. I've had no problem with scuffing, and preferred the dark leather version to help hide dirt/mud stains. They are a great pair of boots!!

The suede your asking about might be NuBuck. It's topgrain cowhide that is ruffed up and tanned different.

Search the web for NuBuck.

Kiwi

I have been wearing my smooth leather LL Bean Gore-tex Cresta Hikers for the past four years (except for winter hikes). They have several hundred miles on them. I brush them off when I get home from a hike ( Well, usually just before going on the next hike :eek: ) and then I give them a good polishing with regular brown Kiwi shoe polish. This seems to keep the leather in fairly good shape and keeps it water repellent. They are soooo comfortable!