Black Fly Season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klutz

Reaction score
Looks like it's black fly season here in southern NH. Anyone got 'em yet? Anyone know how ther are in the mountains? Seems a little early??? :mad:

My husband and I, a few years ago went hiking on Memorial Day and nearly got chased down the trail with them! :eek: Well, actually we did. We were up on the AT up around Monson in Maine....it was crazy....they were maddening, swarming all around the face driving us nuts. We hiked so fast to get to the lean-to and set up tent like you wouldn't believe. Unfortunately we didn't learn our lesson and did it two years in a row. After the second year, I vowed to never hike again during black fly season!

So, I'm wondering if it's gonna be a short black fly season this year??? It just seems to be early......???? Which doesn't bother me, the earlier, the better.

Yeah, they didn't seem to be biting, yet.......just wait though. I think I hate the black flies worse than the mosquitoes.

I was at Monadnock today and the black flies were just starting to be slightly annoying when I would stop. Not swarming nor a real nuisance yet but I suspect they may be a real problem by the end of the weekend. Anyone heading out this weekend down S NH or Mass might want to replace the stabilizers with the deet.

Pete_Hickey said:
They're not as bad as the deerflies. Deerflies won't even listen to threats or reason.

I guess it's time for my blackfly face:

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/blackf.html

We have Greenheads in our parts. They know well enough to stay out of your range of vision, so they attack you from behind or above. And they are persistent! I go to blackfly country to get away from them. ;-)

Was doing a little painting in the back yard tonight and they are biting regularly. And these are honking big black flies, not your standard medium sized ones. I was hoping that a dry spring would shrink the swarms.

On Saturday in Leominster (MA), there were no biters, but many irritating small flies, along with a scattering of blackflies and mosquitos, and I took a female deer tick off Marge's neck. Genie's got her Frontline on and hasn't brought any pests home yet.

I was just setting up a tent in the back yard (Albany area) a short while ago to seam seal, and the flies were all over me, though not biting. Some mosquito action, too.

Lawn Sale said:
I miss winter... :(

Exactly! Now that's what I'm takin' 'bout! That one of the biggest reasons I like winter over summer, well maybe not the biggest, but one of the reasons. There are many other reasons I like winter as well......let's see there's skiing, winter hiking, snowshoeing, skating......just to name a few. :D The cold doesn't bother me, I actually prefer the cold over heat.

Pete_Hickey said:
They're not as bad as the deerflies. Deerflies won't even listen to threats or reason.

I guess it's time for my blackfly face:

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/blackf.html

Deerflies are the worst bugs I've ever had to experience. They don't leave you alone, and come in swarms of at least 3 or 4. Even one deerfly feels like 10 blackflies.

Mosquitoes always sneak up on me. There I am....hangin out....minding my own business or trying to fall asleep. Suddenly, just as I'm about to doze off......"MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!" the mosquito wakes me up by buzzing in my ear....probably the single worst sound ever.

For me, blackflies are somewhat nasty, but they just swarm me and never seem to bite.

grouseking

Klutz said:
The cold doesn't bother me, I actually prefer the cold over heat.

I'm the same way, but I hate all the extra gear and weight I have to carry to hike in the winter. Maybe that's why I like hiking in early fall so much; I can basically carry a summer load and don't have any bugs to contend with.

grouseking said:
Deerflies are the worst bugs I've ever had to experience. ....
Deerflies and blackflies..Well, blackflies are more physical, while deerflies are more mental. Kinda like a one-night-stand vs a long term relationship. Some people prefer one over the other for their own reasons. Physical things are cool with me. BANG! its over! Thats-all-thats-it! OK, you may need some medical attention after, but that's part of the game.

Deerflies make that buzzing sound... its usually an A-flat... They look at you. You can talk to them all you want, but they never listen. Catch one, break a couple of his legs, and let him go, so that the others may see what is in store for them, should they come near you... Even that doesn't work. (It does work with lean-to mice)

Blackflies just com, bite, suck and go. You barely feel it, until later on, when your head swells up.
For me, blackflies are somewhat nasty, but they just swarm me and never seem to bite.
Never seem to bite? wow! Do you have some special diet, or do you hike with someone like me, who offers them better blood.

Last edited:
My wife and I were visiting relatives in Virginia last weekend and she got bit by a black fly on the back of her neck. I agree about deerflies and greenheads, but my least favorites are the ones that call the Gunks their home: wasps. I once had the unfortunate experience of getting stung in the face by three of those buggers while leading the top pitch of the Yellow Ridge. :mad: