Maine 3000 footer close to Montreal.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
I'd like to whack a Maine trail-less 3000 footer in the not too distant future. Is there anything in the boutique within 4-5 hours of driving from Montreal?

Neil, The border at Coburn Gore near Chain of Lakes is only 3 1/2 hours from Montreal just past Mont Megantic. I'd be up for a trip there in the not too distant future if you can put up with me.
Mt Pisgah is right on the border and is over 3,000ft see...
old map

-Phil

I have kayaked in the Chain of Lakes region, and it is gorgeous! Lots of cool looking mountains in that area that you could bushwack. Snow Mt is right over there too, the trails are so overgrown, it's almost a bushwack.

How fast do you drive Prino? Montreal is definitely less than 3 and a half hours to the maine border. Remember the speed limit is only a recommendation. They don't have cop cars in Canada, only Mounties, so as long as you can outrun the horse, you're good.

Just an FYI, take the pike to East Angus and then head over to the Lac Megantic area. Sherbrooke is definitely a time killer. especially if you get lost in the city like a dumb Yankee(me).

Last edited:
king tut said:
How fast do you drive Prino? Montreal is definitely less than 3 and a half hours to the maine border. Remember the speed limit is only a recommendation. They don't have cop cars in Canada, only Mounties, so as long as you can outrun the horse, you're good.

HA HA! The Mounties don't stand a chance but was being conservative as I usually spend time picking up beer and trying to explain my "funny" accent to the border guy! :p

Yea, definitely pick up the beer in Canada. I did that on my last voyage out to Vermont from Maine last month. It is much stronger (8-9%) in Canada, ehhh? The only problem is trying to look the Border Crossing guy in the eye and telling him that you have no beer, alcohol, Cuban cigars, or hookers hidden in the back of your trunk. FYI, 20 cent deposit on Canadian 40 Ouncers.

prino said:
Neil, The border at Coburn Gore near Chain of Lakes is only 3 1/2 hours from Montreal just past Mont Megantic. I'd be up for a trip there in the not too distant future if you can put up with me.
Mt Pisgah is right on the border and is over 3,000ft see...
old map

-Phil
All right! So the date is set at...in the not too distant future. At what time do we meet?

Uhh, Phil, I hope you hike for the right reasons.
:D :)

Neil said:
All right! So the date is set at...in the not too distant future. At what time do we meet?

Uhh, Phil, I hope you hike for the right reasons.
:D :)

Same reason I go to Beer Gatherings.....we can plan on Monday at the Pub.

There are absolutely no views from the summit of Pisgah, and the roads to get into the base of the peak are confusing and not in great shape, Jim C. and I did it last fall. Most of the trailess 3's in that area are void of views. Kibby Mountain, although not trailess, has some great views of the Beaudry Road area.

Last edited:
Do you mean NE HH or Maine HH? Anyhow, I'm not pursuing either of those lists so it dosn't really matter.

My only criteria is trailless.

DMS: It's logical I suppose that if there is no trail it's because there are no views. However, given the choice I'd go with no trail and good views. :D

Neil, Spencer Bale Mountain is in that same area, it has no trails, but has some very nice summit views, especially to the west towards the Bigelows. It is a bit of a ways in on Beaudry Road though.