What mountain is this in BSP?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dvbl

See the pyramid-shaped mountain on the distant horizon? Pictures are taken in Baxter State Park from about half way up the Cathedral Trail looking in a basically northern direction. What mountain is it? Is the summit wooded? Seems like the views could be awesome.

The view is actually more like northeast. Chimney pond is at lower right in the first photo and you can see the cabin beside it. The big thing that looks flat-topped is South Turner & East Turner (there are three peaks that sort of line up to look almost level).

Are Deasey or Lunksoos tall enough to fit the bill? I'm not sure how much farther than that you can see...

Last edited:
Assuming that is Basin Pond in the foreground, then the rocky peak in the middle ground would be S. Turner (3.9 mi at 060T). The unknown is therefore on a heading of a few degrees less than 060T. Mt Chase (2440 ft) is 25mi at 058T. (Deasey (1950 ft) is 11.5 mi at 080T.)

Mt Chase looks like a better bet to me. The shape is also plausible.

Doug

DougPaul's got a point. Chase is on a better line and much taller and more isolated than the other candidates. Guess you can see pretty far after all.

To answer your question, my map shows a lookout tower on Chase.

(It's not in BSP, though.)

Thanks guys. I think from now on when I go someplace new, I should jot down a compass reading for pictures like this so I can identify the unfamiliar peaks more easily. Anyone out there who wants to design a digital camera with a built-in compass that shows compass direction for each picture taken...you'll get my business.

nartreb said:
To answer your question, my map shows a lookout tower on Chase.
I believe the lookout tower once on Mt Chase is now at the Lumberman's Museum at Patten, Buzz Caverly suggested they take it instead of one of his old ones.

Deasey has a ground cabin lookout in rough shape although it may be repaired.

Both peaks have ledge summits and you don't need a tower to see anything.

Mt Chase is one of those weird ones that seems like a big hill when you're around Patten, but can get blended into the background once you get into the park. When you drive up to Shin Pond, it's right there on your right -- but it looked so far away above the flats north of Patten.