boots - bad gore-tex or no gore-tex

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
this is an FYI from a recent exprience.

I recently converted from plastics to leather for climbing boots. I ended up going with a Lowa Cristallo Expert GTX - gore-tex lines, etc.. I climbed/hiked in with the 4 times. The boot was amazingly comfortable out of the box and Loved them - had them out last weekend in the slush/rain, etc and my feet got soaked and I mean soaked - much more than they should have (a little wetness would be ok). I called Lowa and they told me of running a test - fill the tub and weigh down th boots - they should not be wet inside after 12 hours. After 12 hours - soaked, there was literally standing water in the boots!! Turns out they think either the gore-tex was faulty - or the gore tex was never put in!!

no biggie, I am returning them for a new pair - but just a FYI for others out there. The fit was amazing, so going to give them the benefit of doubt and pray the new pair is dryer.

Thanks for the heads up. I have the same boots. They're off to the bathtub. Of course, that will have to wait until the wife goes out. She isn't fond of muddy boots in the tub. :eek:

I have Vasque Gore-Tex boots and occasionally wash them out. That's my waterproof test, do they hold water?

Unfortunately, even the most waterproof boot is susceptible to water coming in over the top and I would venture to say that can happen even if you're not over your ankles in water or slush. Drop by drop, either down your pants or up the gaiter can, over time saturate the socks.

Consider, too, that moisture moves from the wetter to the drier medium so even though Gore-Tex is a one way street for moisture, it cannot dispel perspiration if the leather is soaked.

My strategy, extra extra socks in wet conditions and frequent treatment of the boots (after every hike or two, depending on how they've weathered).

Last edited:
I personally avoid GTX in my boots--my feet are always wet from perspiration in them. A good treatment for the leather is, IMO, the best overall compromise for dealing with inside and outside water.

Doug

this was a well constructed test :D - only submerged them to the ankle - nothing came in over the top. and I am not talking a little wet - there was standing water in the boot! :eek:

Guy, just think about the amt of water we drank on the summit of Rainier, I went through the whole 96 oz of water I carried to the summit. If you had the standing water in your boots, we could of drank that too!! :D :eek:

The bathtub test sounds fun, I might just go try that with my new hiking Boots (Torres GTX).

Jay