River Crossings in Whites - low this spring?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
I am thinking due to the low snow year and much of the snow that did come was in that storm 2 weeks ago - and much of that is history, and the low rain (so far), I am thinking that river crossings won't be too bad this spring - I am thinking of the great gulf in particular - but the idea is the same all around i guess.

what are others opinions as I am going on a hunch rather than any type of actual knowledge.

this assumes that it doesn't rain 20 inches from now until june.

I too think that the low amount of snow and the lack of significant rain will mean that river crossings will be easier. Again, this is assuming no monsoons pass through in the near future. However, if this trend continues, we may be looking at a significant drought this summer.

As it is now, the water table is low. A mixed blessing I guess, depending on how you look at it... :(

giggy said:
I am thinking due to the low snow year and much of the snow that did come was in that storm 2 weeks ago - and much of that is history, and the low rain (so far), I am thinking that river crossings won't be too bad this spring - I am thinking of the great gulf in particular - but the idea is the same all around i guess.

what are others opinions as I am going on a hunch rather than any type of actual knowledge.

this assumes that it doesn't rain 20 inches from now until june.
This is a question for Doug Paul, however I'll take a shot at it. I imagine that snow melt happens at a constant rate at a given temperature regardless of the volume of snow (assuming the volume is non-zero and positive). There is a lower snowpack (but I understand the Great Gulf has a good amount of snow) this year however it should supply the streams pretty good until the snow disappears which will be a little earlier this year. It should also depend on how rainy the season is. My guess is that stream crossings will be normal early on in the season and then mostly weather dependant later in the spring.

-Dr. Wu

I agree - but there is significant snow in a lot of the usual spots...deep Pemi...Great Gulf...I think the key is moderation in rain fall and temp...a few 80 degree days will melt everything too quickly and the monsoons would have a stronger effect...

So far the river crossings have been a non issue for me. Even in the afternoons. Much easier than last spring.

we had 10 crossings on the way to the hancocks and they weren't a problem at all. nothing like april usually

kltilton said:
I was on the Jericho end of the Rocky Branch Trail last week. The streams weren't too high, but they are still really cold. A few spots you had to go into the water to get to the other side.

True. Water isn't too high....yet but its still 35 degrees so if you fall in its not fun. And still, there is 2-4 feet of snow above 4,000 feet so melting is no where near completed yet. I would still be cautious along any hike with a major strem crossing, as you never know.

grouseking