High Peaks 4/29-30?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
I'm considering heading up to the High Peaks this weekend. I have a happy hour gig in Albany Friday evening and I'll be done playing at around 8, so I can get to sleep pretty early that evening. I'll probably stay at my mom's place in Albany. This isn't a definite yet, but if I go up, I would be leaving Albany between 6 and 7 Saturday AM. I may hike both days and carcamp at the Loj campground Saturday evening.

I am interested in any of these hikes:

-Phelps/Tabletop
-Big Slide
-Porter (not Cascade, saving it)
-Colden
-Skylight/Gray

Possible scenarios include climbing Big Slide or Porter from the Garden on Saturday, then Phelps/Tabletop from the Loj on Sunday.

Or possibly Phelps/Tabletop on Saturday and Colden or Skylight/Gray on Sunday.

Anyone hiking any of these this weekend? Any advice, info on conditions, etc?
Will parking at the Garden likely be a problem this time of year?

Matt

Conditions are likely to be crappy...rotting snow and lots of mud. The Garden parking won't be bad yet (cuz everyone knows the conditions are crappy). If you put your plans off until the following weekend I'll join you. Even to do Big Slide! That is, unless you're afraid to travel on that mountain again with me! :D I'll even do all the driving.

TMax said:
Thanks a lot Pete! :D
Well, I mean.. well, you know. You're nice and all that, and I'd hike with you just about any time, but if my goal was to get Big Slide...Lets just say that I beleive in Luck, and it comes in both Good and Bad.

I noticed Matt hasn't replied yet
He's probably afraid to.. Poor guy...

I'm anticipating less than perfect trail conditions, but it's just very tempting to head all the way up to the High Peaks since I already have to drive a third of the way there. I'll bring snowshoes and crampons, and of course gaiters.

Terri, regardless whether I go this weekend or not, I still may be up for another trip in the next week or two. And I'm not afraid to hike w/ you since I'm not superstitious. I thought you might be saving Big Slide though, possibly for # 46?

Pete, over on ADK Forum Dick wrote that the 46er meeting is this weekend. Will you be in the area?

Matt

mcorsar said:
Pete, over on ADK Forum Dick wrote that the 46er meeting is this weekend. Will you be in the area?

Matt, the 46er meeting is on Memorial Day weekend, NOT this month. On ADKForum I was responding to someone's question about Memorial Day weekend, which was embedded in your thread about 4/29-30. The dangers of thread hijacking!