Treadway Mountain, Adirondacks, NY

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshco8

Reaction score
Hello,

Has anyone made the Treadway Mountain Hike into a short backpacking trip? Can you camp along Putnam Pond, Mud Pond, or Clear Pond? Or are there sites along the trail? I know there is a drive-in campground at Putnam Pond, but I'd rather hike in and camp. Any info concerning this hike would be great! Thanks a lot!

Josh

Many options as there are at least 4 lean-tos in the area as well as many attractive camp site along the way. The lean-tos at Fish or Rock Ponds as well as Grizzle Ocean are great jumping off points for Treadway,. I would note the Grizzle Ocean lean-to had half a dozen good size hemlocks fall on or near it last fall. It was still structurally sound but they cover the front and made it rather dark inside. Treadaway is an easy day (half day) hike from any of these lean-tos.
I would suggest you get ADK’s Guide to the Eastern Adirondacks as a resource as there are many trails around Putnam Pond and it can get a bit confusing. The mine site on the side o f Bear Mt. Is worth the side trip.

There is also a lean-to on Clear Pond. Treadway Mountain has got to have one of the best view to hiking effort ratios in the entire Adirondack Park.

We've camped at Little Rock Pond L/T a couple times. Once we hiked in, another time we paddled across Putnam Pond. Treadway was an easy pleasant hike with good views.

We were just there this weekend. Because we did other hiking Saturday morning/Sunday afternoon, we did a short backpack from Putnam Pond. On Saturday we hiked up Treadway and then camped at the leanto at Clear Pond. We completed the loop on Sunday by hiking out by Rock Pond, etc. The views on Treadway are terrific and Clear Pond was lovely. I would recommend getting a map/guidebook so you can see where the leantos are and the different trails.

Thanks for the info so far. We'll have tents so we probably won't stay in lean-to's. It seems like there are a bunch of lean-to's. Are there just as many tent sites available along the ponds?

Thanks again everybody!

Josh

joshco8 said:
Thanks for the info so far. We'll have tents so we probably won't stay in lean-to's. It seems like there are a bunch of lean-to's. Are there just as many tent sites available along the ponds?

Thanks again everybody!

Josh

I'm not 100% sure of this but I think there is a designated campsite directly across Clear Pond from the lean-to.

joshco8 said:
...won't stay in lean-to's. It seems like there are a bunch of lean-to's. Are there just as many tent sites available along the ponds?
For the most part, the forests are open, and there are lots of flat places to be found. There are lots of places you can camp if you just abide by the rules. 150 feet from water or trail. Leave it clean.

If you want to avoid the lean-tos hike past the old mine site on the north side of Rock Pond. There is a designated camp site on the point directly across from the lean to on the opposite shore. The next day you can continue along the north shore trail which reconnects to the main trail on the way to Clear Pond and Treadway Mt.