Sages Ravine, Bear Rock Stream Camp, Mt. Everett

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshco8

Reaction score
Hello,

Has anyone parked at East St. parking area and hiked the .8 mile access trail called Northwest Rd. to the AT? Is this a good starting point? I was planning on starting here to access Sages Ravine, then continue to Bear Rock Stream Camp for a night, then summit Race Mt. and Mt. Everett. How many sites are at Bear Rock Stream Camp? Seems like it’s a nice spot, does it get crowded?

Also, I’ll be driving in from CT, Rt. 7, then cross over to Rt. 41 from Sheffield, MA to Mt. Washington Rd. to East St. I can’t find very detailed directions, so verification of these directions would be great. I heard the last couple miles of East St. could be rough, has anyone been up there this spring?

Thanks everyone!

Josh

Just FYI: Bear Rock campsite was closed a couple of years ago... there is a new one called Laurel Ridge that is a tenth of a mile south. It has three group tent platforms and a handful of dirt sites. It's a nice spot... though not as nice as the old one! :)

- Ivy

Last edited:
I think so...

Josh,

You're referring to the north-south road that basically parallels the AT to the west, yes? I drove it all the way through on 4/28/06 with my VW Golf. It was a bit rutted in places, but completely passable by a 2WD, low-clearance vehicle.

The (small) parking area is on the east side of the road. Look for a sign high on a tree that says "AMC." You will see an obvious, though unmarked, trail heading east which leads to the AT. Turn left for Sages Ravine once you hit the AT. :) Beautiful area!

You can also access Connecticut's high point from the same parking area. Just walk north on the road for a minute and hang a left. It's only ~2.5 miles round trip to the "summit" and back. (The actual high point is on the flanks of Mt. Frissell, which tops out in MA.)

Stinky.notreallydoingthehighpoints.feet

:D :cool: :eek: ;) :rolleyes: :) :p

Josh, here's a map of the area, click on the bottom right to expand and search.
Unless you're spotting a car further north, it's easier to take the left on 4 off rt 7 in Cornwall Bridge, drive through Sharon and pick up Mt Washington Rd in Salisbury.

You can access Sages the way you're thinking, you'll see the parking indicated on the map. There is better parking on the other side, off Rt 41 at the Undermountain Trail trailhead.

Bear Rock Falls camping area is closed for re-vegetation.

Trip report:

http://vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12430

Chip's alternate method of getting to sages ravine campsite is what Fred and I used. There is just enough parking for 3 cars on the CT side of the CT/MA border just south of Sheffield, MA right by a blue "Scenic Road" sign. You'll see a gate with a brown sign saying "park closes at sunset" and you'll be by a bridge that Sage brook goes under. You can somewhat bushwack straight up the stream until you hit the AT crossing. It's not long, a nice bushwack, there are herd paths that go up both sides of the stream although the north side of Sages may be the easier bushwack as far as not sidehilling as much as the south side. Either way, it's not bad. Or there is also a actual woods road further up in options.org property. Fred and I ran into it bushwacking back down but frankly, following the stream is enjoyable.

Jay

If there is no separate water source at Laurel Ridge, Bear Rock Stream crosses the AT nearby.

Chip's suggested driving route makes sense but if you need to stick to your original plan (Rt. 7 in Sheffield to Rt. 41) you’ll have no problem finding anything. Mt. Washington Road leaves Rt. 41 at a pond in Egremont and there are signs leading to Mt. Washington State Forest. Continue past the state forest headquarters on East Street to the parking area noted above. Mt. Washington Road in Egremont becomes East Street at the Mt. Washington town line and then Mt. Washington Road again at the MA/CT state line. It’s the same road throughout.