day packs choices...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jade

Any feed back on Osprey Atmos 25 and /or Arc'teryx RT 35 would be greatly appreciated...

From what I understand the A't is the only pack that claims to be completely waterproof. Both appear to be good, solid, low profile day packs and not cheap by any means. I'm willing to spend the cash to get a decent pack...

Thanks....
...Jade

Jade: I've never used that particular Arc'Teryx pack. But I can speak from experience that every piece of equipment I've ever bought of theirs has been absolutely perfect.

I looked at the RT a while back. The fellow in the store mentioned the roll top was a constant bother, hitting the back of his head and getting in the way.

I'm suspicious of waterproof packs. Once water does get in where will it go except to collect at the bottom of the pack where ones down jacket or sleeping bag is usually stored.

I'm suspicious of waterproof packs.
Ditto. If they were "all that" the thru-hikers would be using em... No need to spend much money on a day pack. Look for an new old stock Platypus Thunderhead or Typhoon at about $60. ;)

Arc'Teryx - while I can't afford their gear :eek: :eek: - it is good stuff for sure. I am not sure I would believe the total waterproofness, but ithey may be the ones to actually pull it off if anyone can

good luck

- would probably still bring the black garbage bag the first few times tho to be sure!!

Gris said:
Ditto. If they were "all that" the thru-hikers would be using em...

I disagree. Thru-hikers use equipment much more intensively than us average folks. What might be water resistant enough for a weekly day hike might not be enough to withstand daily rains for three weeks.

I paid 60 for THIS pack but I see it advertised now for 90. (I must have got it on sale). I used it all winter and it,s a very good pack. One little thing though, no top pocket, you have to roll the top shut and clip it. On winter bushwhacks the mesh pockets , which are otherwise very handy, fill with snow. My MSR's fit nicely in the back zipper compartment.

Jade, if you do get the Atmos 25, I've kind of looking at that for a day pack, you should bring it to the presi so I can check it out. Campmor only had the larger one the last time I was there...

Jay

Thanks folks!!

Warren...the part about hitting the back of one's head is enough to steer me clear. I can't tolerate that or squeaky noises that some packs tend to make. I know that Arc'Teryx makes top quality products, but the head banging will not do!

JayH...I have the Atmos 25 on order to try out at my local store that does not typically carry the pack....if it fits well with my full Camelback bladder, Precips, food, headlamp, etc. I will purchase it and bring it to the Presis!

New gear--yahoo! :D
...Jade

I love the Osprey stuff. I have a backpack and ski pack, and love them. I went it to buy an Arc'Tyrex, but was talked into the Osprey by a trusted sales rep...and it was a tad cheaper.

In today's mail is a flyer for REI's BIG sale of the year....the Osprey Atmos 35 which is 2100 cu as opposed the the 25 which is 1500 cu.....the 35 is on sale for $30 cheaper than the 25! On no, more choices.... :rolleyes:
...Jade

Hey Jade...

Ya know, the more I look at more proper "daypacks" I keep wondering if it is truly worth it to replace what I've used like..forever.

I mean I use this for my dayhikes:

A lowe alpine Contour Runner 30 (except mine is red) for like 6 years now. Look at the price, except I think I got mine at STP for like $30 or something like that..

However, it is *everything*, I can carry snowshoes/skis in the side compression straps, I can carry platypus bladders in the inside pocket, I just use that to death and it works. It's completely non-fancy but just works. I used to even use it to commute to work on my bike before I got a rack.

Ohh, going to check out that REI sale. One thing that did surprise me for all these fancy daypacks is the price :eek:

Jay

Last edited:
I actually use the Arcteryx RT45 for dayhikes. It's the original version, and I'm not sure if there are any upgrades to the new ones, but I like it a lot, and I don't think I'll buy another daypack for awhile. I never had any problems with the rolltop feature, and it doesn't hit my head or bother my neck much. I've also carried rope on top and haven't had any trouble either. For as long as I've had this pack, I've never really tested the waterproofness. But the suspension is good, carries loads well, and is pretty versatile. The new Arcteryx packs look really nice, lighter, but even more expensive; go figure.

aviarome

Besides the suspension system, the side pockets, the weight, etc., what I especially like about the Osprey Atmos (and other Ospreys) is the netting on the back which actually separates the pack from your body. The air flows and vents around between the pack and the wearer....

I have one Dana Bomber, 2 Kelty overnighters, one Kelty day pack, two Camelbacks, one REI 45 and one Mountain Smith lumbar pack......ya think I need another??????? I'm selling the Keltys--though they are very comfortable, I'm looking for something more low profile....the Go-Light looks impressive but I am touch on my gear.....

Through all the research I've done, the Osprey and the Arc'teryx come out on top...

....Jade

I use to use the arcteryx RT 25. Got it on sale a while ago for a very good price and couldnt resisit. THe roll top wasnt too bothersome. I enjoyed teh no zipper part and had no problems with it. My main thing aobu tit was the small side pockets, a water bottle would fit but not very well so i used them more so for snacks and little things that I could get at easily. I really enjoyed how it sucked eveyrthing right into my back wich was very nice. The only thing I didnt liek was the front pocket is a little too small so all my junk and the main compartment was only 1500 ci. I ened up grading to an Osprey exposure 42. Its supposed to be for moutneering and rock climbing but I use for for hiking and I love it. I love the way it fits and it actualyl has a aluminum bar on the top of the suspension to keep teh bpack away form your head when you looking up and aroudn and all that stuff. Its 2600 ci so it swollows gear and can actually be used for a weekend trip. It has a large shove it pannel and the straight jacket compression is exceltn for holdong anything from snowshoes to pack chairs. It can carry a good amont of weight 30-50 pounds they say on the site. If you have a smaller lgiht load the compression straps will keep everything snug and in place. I'm extremely happy with this pack so far. Happy pack hunting!

I'm in the market for a new pack too. I'm looking at the AT RT35, AT Needle 35, Osprey Atmos 35, and Mountainsmith Fusion 35.
I want a pack that can do everything- dayhike, mountaineer, and backcountry ski... but I may settle on a more dayhikey pack like the AT RT35 or the Atmos. I like the Mountainsmith cause it has the ski straps and tool holders, and wand / water bottle pockets. The RT 35 seems to have the water bottle pockets but no technical carrying capabilities, and the Needle seems to have no water bottle pockets while it does have ski straps etc...
I use a bladder most of the time but there are those times when it's more convienent to use a water bottle (or maybe I only feel like that when backpacking?), so I think I want the pockets on the side.
Anybody have experience with the Needle or Mountainsmith Fusion, or Mountainsmith in general?

Warren said:
I looked at the RT a while back. The fellow in the store mentioned the roll top was a constant bother, hitting the back of his head and getting in the way.

I own both the Osprey Atmos 25 and the Arc'teryx RT35. I have used the RT 35 on many hikes, especially in winter, and the roll-top closure has never rubbed on the back of My head. I use the Atmos 25 for day hikes when the weather is much more pleaseant. Both are very comfortable and are worth every penny. As for the RT 35's waterproofness, I've never had a problem in average rainfall and a few short downpours. The RT35 is best suited for a hydration bag, since the "bottle holders" are way too small for Nalgene's.

Seems like REI doesn't sell the Atmos 25, at least I didn't see any in my search there... Can't even consider the 20% coupon. I don't think, for my usual dayhikes, that I need the size of the Atmos 35, even though the sale price is cheaper than the 25..

Jay

Last edited:
FYI, Campmor (local) has the Atmos 35 for $109 too, and I don't recall what the cents are cause I can get 10% off that with my NYNJTC membership...

However, they don't carry the Atmos 25! So I couldn't play with that one....

Jay