Adirondack Bushwhack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodstrider

Reaction score
I am looking for a two day bushwhack in the High Peaks Area for the Memorial Day Weekend, but I wish to avoid the crowded areas.

The Sentienel Range or the McKenzie Range look good- any info from somebody who has actually done a traverse of these ranges would be greatly appreciated.

woodstrider said:
The Sentienel Range or the McKenzie Range look good- any info from somebody who has actually done a traverse of these ranges would be greatly appreciated.

McKenzie has a good trail between Mac-Moose so it's hardly a BW. Whacking in the Sentinel range - Advice..................... yeah, HAVE FUN..... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Seriously, the Sentinels are really thick, particularlyl on the western slope. Stewart on the end, just plain SUCKS. Slide's not bad, Kilburn's iffy, as is Sentinel. The routes between them suck for overnight packing. I've only done the traverse between Slide-Kilburn (which if you pick a good route, ain't shabby). I'm told by those that have done traverses between KB-Sentiel and Stewart, they they were not fun. If you stick to the Eastern slope and stay lower into the hardwoods you might have some fun. I found a awesome place I'd camp back there (NOPE, I ain't telling :D). Just be careful of Private Property issues lower down on that side.

Other options in the High Peaks area; there are some friendly BW areas are out towards the Jay Wilderness and even Hurricane Primitive area. In the HPWA itself. you could get lost in the Scott's Pond, Lost Pond area or over towards the Sawtooths (though it can be thick and unforgivably in there too) for a few days too.

Last edited:
My vote goes to the Sawtooth Range from the Averyville Rd.

Also, there's lots of territory to whack in the Dix Wilderness. Bald summits where the only crowds are the 2 winged variety. Take a look at the West Mill and Lindsay Brook drainages.

Alternatives

It depends on how serious a bushwhack you want. The Sawtooth range offers lots of opportunities to get lost but sometimes you can't see your feet. One description is for practice try walking through a snowfence. It is very wild. You need to really enjoy bushwhacking though.

A more enjoyable time, with some semblance of a path is the route to Spotted Mountain and on to East Dix. Once you get to Elizabethtown No. 4, you start getting open rock, spectacular views, and you have the chance to pick routes from open rock through woods to more open rock. For a route that is so spectacular there is very little use. There are opportunities to camp coming down off of East Dix. (options: the slide or a herdpath that descends between East and South Dix).... on the way back there are some nice camping opportunities. (Or due it the other way around, starting from the trail near the stone bridge.)

Farther south in the Dix wilderness there are other mountains with limited access and use which also present views from the summits, few if any people, and reasonable camping opportunities.

Tom

The trails in the Moose / Mk wilderness are good, but don't receive heavy usage. Ever since ADK Expkorer wrote up the hike on thise two peaks, people have been swarming there. The Wilmington Range is pretty nice, with Morgan Mtn there's a wooden sign on the summit -- west of Cooper Kiln Pond there are a bunch of little peaks that few visit.

There's plenty of blowdown in the Sawtooths, but you shouldn't have any problem encountering others.

Sentinels -- The trails up North and South notches are still in place, and are used primarily by the skiers.

Jay Mtn Wilderness is a great place to go -- Save for the one trail over Jay, there are no trails elsewhere.

Lost Pond Mtn is a nice destination, as are the eastern Dixes, all those little peaks are accessible from the West Branch trail. there is a falls known as Niagara netween Camel's Hump and Sunrise mts.

If you really want an adventure, try climbing Allen fron the east. It's not climbed because of blowdown.

Moose

As previously stated, the Sentinel range may not be fun. It kinda depends on what gives you pleasure.

I did Slide (or maybe it was N Slide), Kilburn, Sentinel and Stewart as a dayhike in wet weather and it was one of the worst hiking days of my life. It was definitely in the top 3 most difficult bushwhacks for me.

On the east side of Kilburn heading towards Sentinel, I remember reaching into my pocket and noticing that the dense spruce had robbed my map. It happens occasionally and I prepare for it by bringing 3 copies of the map. About an hour later, still in the thick stuff, and less than 1/3 mile from the lost map, I reach for my second map, and this time I find my entire pocket (and map) are gone! My pocket had been ripped from my pants without me knowing it. I made it out on my third map that I protected with my life - literally

I later revived my pants with yards and yards of dental floss and some patch fabric. My legs were thrashed with the usual cuts. This was the only time I got open weeping legions (sp) from hiking. My hands survive because I was wearing stainless steel cut proof gloves - literaly chainmail (sp)

So if you want to do the Sentinels, have at it. By comparison, the 1/2 mile per hour travel of the Sawtooth range was a pleasant time. The typical days there were tough and slow - 12hrs for 6 miles and it felt like a constant workout. A really tough obstacle course with some mental exercize too - like "hiking chess"

Some of the other suggestions like the Jays and the area around the Dixes are much more nice. Also Nippletop and Niagara and Camels hump are quite pleasant.

Of course, your actual milage and experience may vary and past performance in no indicator of future results. Bushwhacking is inherently risk and parties engaging in this activity do so accepting the risk....

Last edited:
John H Swanson said:
As previously stated, the Sentinel range may not be fun. It kinda depends on what gives you pleasure.

I did Slide (or maybe it was N Slide), Kilburn, Sentinel and Stewart as a dayhike in wet weather and it was one of the worst hiking days of my life. It was definitely in the top 3 most difficult bushwhacks for me.

......{snip}.......

Of course, your actual milage and experience may vary and past performance in no indicator of future results. Bushwhacking is inherently risk and parties engaging in this activity do so accepting the risk....

Okay, woodstrider..... there IS the Sentinel Range review. Top-3 most difficult bushwhack, from a guy that climbed every peak, knob, bump and mogul over 3000' from NY to Maine, and whom the NE770 list takes it name, ain't zackly a "glowing" recommendation for the place.

In my "limited" experience, every peak has it's secret "softer" side, it's just your chances of finding it on trip one to the Sentinels is pretty remote though. :D

I was smart enough to go with one of the ADK b-whacking legends (Haskins) and we seemed to find "the cozy corridor" between Slide-KB and it was Tom 4-5th attempt at it.

Here's a sampling of some foray's into the range that MIGHT (and might not) help if your still interested. SLIDE-KB | SLIDE, KB, SENTINEL | STEWART (alone)

Enjoy ;)

Hey Guys- thanks for all the ideas- most I have already been considering. The first hand experiences and from such an august bunch of bushwhackers is much appreciated.

Johnson- I can't hardly imagine that any damage on those pants would make a diff in there appearance, dude. You do like to brag about the shreddage. And I know that I am in no way up to you standards- too tender skinned me. Thanks for the info.

Hey Moose- have you actually gone up to Lost Pond? I heard a first hand account that said there was alot of Krummholz around the top of Lost Pond Mountain.

Thanks Mazoo- I did check that out. First rate reports.

I only wish that I had like a week so that I could get really "lost".

Anyone going to the 46r Dinner? I am getting my certificate. Finished ages ago but the paper work was a killer for me (I'd rather be hiking). But finally got it in last summer. Thank the deity for PCs and Microsoft Word. See you there if you go.

woodstrider said:
Hey Moose- have you actually gone up to Lost Pond? I heard a first hand account that said there was alot of Krummholz around the top of Lost Pond Mountain.

I'll second your fist hand report....... Yeah, it's thick up top.

I'll be at the dinner. Will be there with my wife and kids (girl & boy teenagers). Stop and say hi if you see us.

Last edited:
Just rolled up my shirt sleeve at looked at the scar from the wound I got on the summit of Lost Pond mountain. After 17 years, it has faded some but it is still quite visible. Kind of a freak accident where the blowdown I was standing on broke and left me hanging by the grip of my right hand. Got poked in the right forearm by a stick...leaving a deep puncture wound. Nonetheless I have fond memories of the trip...not that much thick stuff on my route from the north. Lots of moss covered terrain and a few deep crevasses in the drainages to be avoided. Overall pleasant. Though the route from the summit to the pond looked scrappy.

The thing I remember best about the Lost Pond whack was the femur eating holes on the way down towards the mac Range.

The east side of Spotted Mt. is awesome. Big Mt. feel at lower elevations. Lots of cool bushwhacking and I second that the ridge walk up to E. Dix is great. I also love West Mill Brook esp. after some rain when the small streams are running. West mill brook has many options for lower peaks with lots of bare rock giving great views of the surrounding higher peaks. The higher peaks are also very accessible with good bushwhacking skills. It's a pristine area with the feel that few people go there. Buddy

I love the West Mill Brook area too. Been in there a lot, and almost never see anyone other than my own party. It's really easy access, beautiful open woods, and a beautiful brook.

It's buggy though, in Summer. Get in now or wait until August!

Two items for West Mill afficionados:

1. I found a torn up old sweater at the base of a hill NE of West Mill Brook, near the private land line. Tell me the color to claim it!

2. Did anyone know that there is a good road running along the R bank of the brook that drains the Buck - Saunders col? I happened upon in my travels yesterday. I didn't follow it, because it was perpendicular to my route. I'd like to know where it starts and ends.

TCD