Looking for summer sleeping bag..

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
Thx for advise....looking for a lighter sleeping bag to use for late spring - summer seasons for backpacking...

I'm trying to go lighter....I know there are zipperless bags out there but I don't want to feel like a coccoon....I know, have to give up something to get something

Personally I think the 3lb bag (NF) I'm using is good, just very bulky, even with a compression bag being used..

I have this. It's a little pricey, but about 1 lb., depending upon your height. Western Mountaineering has other models as well.

I just bought a BigAgnes Lost Dog for some hiking I'll be doing this summer.
http://bigagnes.com/str_bags.php?id=ld
It weighs in at 20oz. It is only rated at 50deg so it is only a warm weather bag. I have never seen a bag compress as small as this, I think it would actualy cram in to a Nalgene bottle, not sure why you'd want to but just an example of its compressed size. If your not familiar with BigAgnes bags, all their bags have the same design, there is no fill on the bottom, this saves on a lot of bulk and makes them very compressable, the bottom of the bag just has a layer of the material and then a sleeve to hold a mattress in place so it doesn't slide out from under you at night while sleeping.

Like Rhihn, I have a WM Iriquois. I think the Highlite is the replacement of the Iriquois, except the Highlite has square baffles. I got mine on closeout for $160 and it is great. It's very light (I have the 5'6" version since I'm short) and very compressible. I use it down to at least freezing and it has a full zipper. I think the MH Phantom 32 is insignificantly lighter but it doesn't have a full zip.

Jay

Check out the Mountain Hardware Phantom 45 on clearance:
http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_...<>ast_id=1408474396003144&bmUID=1146744721642

$159
45 degrees
1lb 3oz
800-fill down goodness

This bag is veeeery nice, has a full zip, and packs very small (about nalgene bottle size).

note: If you are interested in this bag I would first:
- Call an EMS and ask if they are still giving 30% off clearance items (which at one point they were doing). They might say no or tell you it's now 20% off clearance.
If they say no just try to work them a little and try to get the 20% ;) If you get the extra % off then that's simple... now ask them about the bag.
Ask them to locate this bag for you on their system to see which stores have the bag. If you're lucky then a store nearby will have it, but you can always have it shipped to your house from a store that has it.

Last edited:
Thx for info....will start my homework search...thought about the big Agnes...like that idea...

Jay...I'm going to ask you about the tarp tent soon.....one thing at a time.....

I've got a $10 fleece bag and 30 year old North Face light nylon bivy.
This combo is definately good down to 50, especially on a decent mat. If it'll be cooler than 50, some of the other bags mentioned would certainly be nice to have.

After a lot of overthinking on the same subject, I went with this:
WM Caribou MF (long). It's rated by the WM to 35 degrees. I'm a little bit short of 6' 2" and unfortunately about 230, so I need something with a bit more "girth" (I definitely don't like the way that sounds). I'm looking forward to using it, since, at about 1lb 10oz (including supplied stuff sack), it's almost two pounds lighter than my FF Puffin 20 (long). Expensive, yes, but I'm "coming back" from a slipped disk so I'm trying to drop weight all around--including you know where.

the marmot trails bag is pretty awesome. light and compact. reviewers have claimed to use it for three seasons. and when it gets really cold, it makes a great liner to supplement your down bag.

quilt, not bag

I'd suggest reading up on quilts. Check out the
Ray Way Quilt, there's lots of info about lightweight sleeping bags and quilts there.

Mine weighs in at just over 1 pound.

Edit: I forgot to mention that these things are incredibly comfortable, much more comfortable than a mummy bag.

Last edited:
Rick said:
The Western Montaineering bag that CBCBD mentioned looks like a pretty good deal for a top of the line summer bag!!!
Thanks, but the bag is really from Mountain Hardware ;)

My local EMS (and some others in the area) is doing the 30% off clearance items so that bag is going for $112!! :eek:

I should really just get it for myself... but I already bought a new summer bag last year... rats

I would advise against a down bag as it gets wet in the summer, both from precipitation and perspiration. Tents can leak no matter how well they're sealed, shelters drip, and on the worst of days there is almost no way to keep everything dry.

I have used a fleece liner, but it's only good in the dead of summer. It also weighs more than my 40° LL Bean sleeping bag, so I almost never take it.

Thx for info....I am researching so many things..

I'm 6'0 ...215...ok closer to 220 and the NF bags I've been using wide shoulder bags...62-66....I did try my sons NF reg bag and it's tight...

I do like the WM semirectangular bags....but a little to much $....hate to buy it and not go out that often...hmmmm...sounds like a good excuse to go out...thx

Lawn Sale said:
I would advise against a down bag as it gets wet in the summer, both from precipitation and perspiration. Tents can leak no matter how well they're sealed, shelters drip, and on the worst of days there is almost no way to keep everything dry.
Even though it's true that down will lose all it's insulation when wet you still need to get the bag very wet in order hurt the insulation. Most modern bags have shells that are water resistant and will shed water pretty efficiently. Also, minimal precautions can be taken to not get your bag wet.
Down bags are not the deathtraps they are sometimes portrayed to be.

coldfeet said:
I'm 6'0 ...215...ok closer to 220 and the NF bags I've been using wide shoulder bags...62-66....I did try my sons NF reg bag and it's tight...
If shoulder width is important then definitively consider the big agnes bags, they have a much larger cut than other bags (regulars are 70" wide, longs are 73" wide).

Last edited: