Things Not to Miss in Moab, Utah

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm heading to Moab with some friends for five or six days as part of a three week tour of the Southwest (leaving in 2 weeks!!!!!) and I'd love to get some advice what some VFTT-ers think you absolutely can't miss in and around Moab.

Here's are some things we are planning to do so far:

~ hike the Devil's Garden Loop (including primitive trail) in Arches NP.
~ short hikes around the "Windows" in Arches NP.
~ hike Corona Arch just west of Moab
~ rent mtn bikes and bike the Slickrock Trail
~ visit Delicate Arch at sunset
~ 1 night camping in the backcountry of Canyonlands in the Needles District(site EC1).
~ swimming at the "Left Fork" swimming hole
~ quick visit to Dead Horse Point State Park
~ restaurants/bars: Moab Diner, Moab Brewery, Eddie McStiff's, Center Cafe (maybe)

Is there anything else that absolutely can't be missed? Looking for any suggestions you have on pretty much anything (hiking, biking, rafting, horseback riding, parks, cool stores, restaurants, etc.)

Thanks!

- Greg

Oh, to be in Moab...

I spent many months in Moab during my two years of vagabonding/trip guiding in Utah. It is a magical place and somewhere I would gladly live.

Many of my favorite spots were mentioned above, but you also can't miss:
- Road biking River Road: wonderful Colorado River views, winding road, somewhat rolling, lots to see along the way, less than 15 miles to Castle Valley
- Mountain biking or running Porcupine Rim: 12 miles or so of my favorite trail anywhere, beautiful views of Caste Valley and the La Sals, site of my worst bike fall ever
- Kane Creek canyon: just cool back in that area, running on the Amasa Back Trail, watching the climbers
- Portal Trail: nice exposed walk/run
- Moab Library: good place to take a break, lots of characters there
- GearHeads: the only gear shop that I actually enjoy being in and spending money at
- Knave of Hearts: wonderful baked goods, homemade everything at lunch
- Milt's: burgers, shakes, fries, super cheap
- Needles: for multi day backpacking, Canyonlands NP
- free camping everywhere

Hmmm, I could go on, but should stop for now. Hope anybody going there enjoys it and does not try going midsummer!

I just would add that if you are going for three weeks to the desert SW, and you are spending 5 days in Moab it sounds that you have that area covered good. I just would add to my post #4 (see it for link to photos) on my Utah 2005 thread that from Moab it is 110 miles west to Goblin Valley State Park and Little Wildhorse Canyons and that is a must stop for a hiker that is just a tad off the beaten path from Moab to Capitol Reef.

FYI, I have pics and trip notes posted here of my week in Moab with a friend if you want to take a peek.

Everything I was going to mention you covered but I would say try to see Dead Horse Point at sunrise if you can. Beautiful.

If you have the time and don't mind doing a guided trip, I would also recommend a canyoneering trip with Desert Highlights. We did Lomatium Canyon in the Fiery Furnace area of Arches and it was probably our favorite part of the trip.

Have a great time!

i think its in the windows section, if not go anyway, Double arch is massively massive.

Back of Beyond is a great bookstore located on the main drag, lots of guide books and when i was there the owner as well most of the staff were pretty active and had lots of beta to share.

mos def do the whole devils path and give yourself lots of time to go wondering off trail exploring the landscape.

Delicate arch is always a mad house of people, sunset might be much less crowded than sunset.

if you are gonna be near it, the horseshoe canyon area of canyonlands national park has some of the best picto and petro glyphs in the world. the great gallery is an amazing site.

enjoy, its magical out there

My only input is to spend more time in Canyonlands.

That NP "rocks" and a dayhike will not do it justice.

I spent several days in the BC there and still feel like I have to go back...several times.

Peace.

#1, Dead Horse Point
#2, Slickrock
#3, Fisher Towers, maybe 20 minutes northeast of Moab (I forget the name of the road), a cool place to hike around

How much driving around are you doing? Don't miss Monument Valley down on the Utah/AZ border (rt 191?) and nearby Goosenecks State Park. Definitely worth a drive-by at least.

I have pictures somewhere.....

blacknblue said:
#1, Dead Horse Point
#2, Slickrock
#3, Fisher Towers, maybe 20 minutes northeast of Moab (I forget the name of the road), a cool place to hike around
Fisher Towers are off Rte 128. (Parallels the Colorado R NE of Moab.)

How much driving around are you doing? Don't miss Monument Valley down on the Utah/AZ border (rt 191?) and nearby Goosenecks State Park. Definitely worth a drive-by at least.
If you are in this area, Muley Point Overlook is worth a look-see. And Natural Bridges Ntl Monument is also close by.

Doug