3 Ponds Shelter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onesong

Reaction score
Anyone been out here? Three Ponds Shelter near Stinson Lake. Looking for a short hike to get some natural solitude...looks good on the map. Any input ?

Very nice area. I went during peak foliage season a couple years ago and was blown away by the scenery of the awesome leaves. Plus the ponds were sparkling blue and there was a light breeze. Also, there were moose tracks everywhere, furthre adding to the wilderness feeling.

grouseking

Did it maybe 16 years ago...

So I could be very out of date. It's a nice woods walk without much vertical. Stream crossings were difficult at the time (late winter/early spring) probably OK this spring.

We have done Three Ponds several times,although only in winter. It's an easy trip,less than 500 ft of gain to the shelter. You may not find your solitude at the shelter,as it's fairly popular,but there are a couple of good campsites going toward the Donkey Hill Cutoff,past the shelter. The DH Cutoff makes for a nice loop trail.
This time of year you will have some water crossings and boggy areas to contend with,but you can go up and around the worst ones.
Our last trip there was the final winter trip this season. 8 inches of fresh powder during the night-great snowshoeing,but a little nippy(-5o)with the wind.

Three Ponds is great!! Make the loop over Donkey Hill Cut-Off and the Mt. Kineo trails. Interesting beaver activity and a nice cascade on the Mt. Kineo Tr. too. I've been up that way a couple of times being here in Plymouth, in winter too.

It does kinda feel like your in the middle of nowhere, but you're not, real nice.

Oh yea...And go up Carr if you have the chance! :D

3 ponds is great!

My two cents: I really liked this spot. It was my very first over-night and I hiked it in early Spring in rain with some snow. Not difficult until we came to a beaver dam and had to walk across that, got a little wet! I'm not sure of the trail we took in, but it was not from the Ellsworth side by Stinson Lake. We had to go down someone's driveway to get to the trailhead and the guy had a doll head hung up on a tree with a sign that said " I aint got no body"...it was hilarious, but also questionable! I would recommend the Stinson Lake/Ellsworth trailhead, pretty easy. Great solitude there :) Hope you enjoy!

Melissa

I chiefly remember the trail as being muddy with brook crossings

The shelter is popular with party & fishing types, you may not even get a space on weekends

One time some guys had even carried a canoe in

We did the Three Ponds Loop April 29th. The shelter was being used by two guys with a canoe. Wonder if it was the same guys as before. The place was pretty messy and I hoped they picked up all their trash. It was a great loop, not too wet, but would be quite muddy if the rain hit NH this week. The crossings were NOT difficult and there were a few new bridges. The parking lot was full, I think most people were hiking Carr. It was a really pretty area and you could do lots of exploring. Get there early.
Heather&Steve

Lady&theTramper said:
We did the Three Ponds Loop April 29th. The place was pretty messy and I hoped they picked up all their trash.
Heather&Steve

Either they or someone else did. I stayed in the shelter in July, and the place was clean. Avoid weekends if you can. If you can't, take a tent. There are a number of legal camping spots near the shelter.