Calling all Gypsy Moth Experts!!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The prediction for gypsy moths was supposed to be very high this year in many parts of the Northeast, given that the winter and early spring were dry. Wet conditions are unfavorable for them, as this causes a certain fungus to grow which keeps the moths in check. Since we had an extremely dry early spring followed by an exceptionally wet May and June, it is unclear what will happen. In my observation, they have not been bad so far in northeastern Massachusetts.

I don't know MA entimology too well, despite living there for a year, but do you folks ever get the devasting Elm Span worm. It has hit us hard in Northern PA for a couple of decades now. They have also been in NY and CT.

ElmSpan 1
ElsmSpan 2
Elmspan 3

At night in early summer, 10's of thousands of these white moths would settle on every piece of equipemnt, tent, ropes, whatever. You shine your headlamp on them and you see 10's of thousands of tiny eyes glowing right back at you - It can be a little freaky.

Pesky flies

I've twice heard the same rumor and in two different locales, Saugerties and Wells, NY. The rumor is that the DEC has released those large, ankle-biting flies to control the caterpillar population. I pooh-poohed it, but thought I'd post it to see if anyone else has heard it or has any insight.
ecc