Are you a Gearoholic?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dvbl

I just read on another post that someone has 9 LL Bean sleeping bags :eek: . I don't think I even own 9 pairs of pants. So, since it's mud season and hiking is down, that must mean the quirky threads are up. So, are you one of those who can't pass up a great deal on a piece of gear even if you have no need for it because you already have one (and a back-up)?

Actually that's incorrect, I have 9 LL Bean sleeping bags but I have 2 that aren't Bean's for a total of 11.

But, I only bought one of them new, and even that was about half price on sale. Most of the others were found on the dump, washed and repaired, but some were hard to pass on at lawn sales.

It's amazing what people will throw away, but to answer the question, yes, I am a gearoholic. When I see something that still has a use, I have a hard time letting it go, unless it costs too much. But, free is hardly too much, so I tend to pick it up even though it's not needed. I upgrade when I can, and the rest sits in one of my spare rooms awaiting use or someone needing something. I have no problem giving some items away to those who will use them, and have depeleted my stock significantly from last fall. But, I also don't give stuff away just because someone wants a "spare". Most of the time there is nothing wrong with any of the gear, but some of it I have repaired, so it's less than new. Most people don't mind using it as all of it's serviceable, I don't keep anything around that isn't.

Just today I was going to pick up another nice EMS external frame pack, for a few dollars at a lawn sale, but instead convinced another person to buy it. They were looking to get back into hiking, and since I have two, I didn't need it, so I didn't mind helping someone else get it.

I agree with Lawnsale!!

I have 8 sleeping bags, for my family of 7. :eek:
Most were ems bargain basement specials, most are at least 10 years old, one is my brother's that I never returned!

My Marmot back pack is 26 years old, some of my kids packs were from the swap shop at the dump(just picked up another one last week).
As I stated in another thread, my $69 water filter is the most expensive piece of gear I have ever bought.

Are other hiker's packs lighter than mine? You bet!! Does their gear have more bells and whistles? No contest!!
Do they enjoy their hikes more than me? Don't know, but I really enjoy my hikes!!!!
If you've got the money, great, enjoy the good stuff. If you don't, you can have just as much fun as anyone else.

I wish I was hiking, instead of waiting to pick up my son and daughter from their prom :rolleyes:

Well, lately I have been walking into EMS and just looking around. Unless I get into biking or kayaking there is nothing I really need. That's just depressing :p The next items on my gear wish list include a set of double ropes and a lightweight mountaineering tent even though I already have three good single ropes and a three season tent and a bombproof mountaineering tent.

Hi, I'm Neil and I'm...definitely not a gearaholic :) .

When the rubber hits the road it's just me, my wits and my legs.

Sure, I'm fully equipped, OK, maybe even very fully equipped but a gearaholic? Nah, I can quit accumulating gear any time I want, really I can. It's just that I don't want to right now. I mean, I'm not ready yet. Tomorrow. Yeah tomorrow I won't buy anything, honest I won't. I can control it, I really can.

nope

I'm not. I can stop any time I want.

I guess I was. I used to spend hours, perhaps days, researching some esoteric piece of gear. Then I'd spend hours finding the best price. Then I'd finally get it and find that it didn't meet my expectations.

Now I try to spend that time learning about backwoods techniques. And I found that by building ray-way kits, I can still satisfy that "thrill of the gear hunt" craving. I find building better than shopping. (hopefully this doesn't sound too supercilious)

And I can stop building ray-way kits any time I want. Just as soon as I'm done with this pack.

I don't have a GPS but I still have a couple of shirts & a pair of shorts with tags on them from when I worked at the EMS Hatford store that closed in years ago, early 1999 I think, no later that January 2000.

I also have six pair of socks that must be 8 years old, still with the store band around them!

I've slowed down a lot, if they are not marked of over 50% I don't even look, well I look I just don;t buy, ............often

Pretty much yes...
I always shop bargains (which creates a problem because something is always on sale but my mind operates as if I do not buy something on sale I will be forever doomed - its like losing money if you do not buy it,) but I always seem to need something else, even though I have everything. The latest proof?
I know with the new baby I will not be backpacking/overnighting this year - but, when I saw the recent REI sale catalog and saw two ultralight summer bags I started to get real antsy.
So far I have held off...I do have the shakes and I will be going to my GA meeting this morning for my 12 step plan to not buy a sleeping bag that I will not need for at least a year...
:D :D

Oh yes, I buy everything that's a good deal... It doesn't help that I decide to upgrade my gear and get into new sports all at the same time.

Ok, I guess I'll make myself count:

3 tents, 3 sleeping bags (oldest rectangular lives in car now), 3 packs, 2 bikes, soon 2 kayaks (going composite this year), 2 skis...

Not too dramatic... but I ain't over yet ;)

Last edited:
Gear

I am NOT a gearaholic! But I am a "packaholic". I usually go though a whole "need" versus " want" argument with myself when looking at new gear and end up deciding that I don't REALLY "need" it and end up not buying anything.

But packs are a different story, I have 10 ranging from a North Face BackMagic down to an EMS fanny pack. My newest is a GoLite Continium which is the most comfortable pack I have ever owned.

I've got 10 pair of skis and 8 pair of ski boots, with a 9th on order. But nothing campares to Dana's quiver.

I'll probably do a purge this summer, and get myself down to 5 pair of skis and 5 pair of boots. :) And get rid of 2 of my 4 bikes. But I'll probably buy another one of those.

4 or 5 sleeping bags, 3 tents, 6 or 7 packs, who knows what else lives in the gear closet?

-dave-

who knows what else lives in the gear closet?

Closet?

I can't be the only one with a gear "room".

Since we moved I now have more space, so logically speaking...I need more gear. At least that's my position when I argue...{ahem}...talk with my wife.

Peace.

Jaytrek57 said:
Closet?

I can't be the only one with a gear "room".
Since we moved I now have more space, so logically speaking...I need more gear. At least that's my position when I argue...{ahem}...talk with my wife.

Peace.
Oh, it is hardly a closet in my house too...it is a very large corner of the basement!

Gearhead or gearaholism?

I built a BARN for all my gear.......
and have no problem owning as much gear to fill it and then use it all!

I would hardly consider it "gearaholism", unless you DON'T use it all, and then continue to buy more!
Or, continue to buy gear when house is foreclosing or utilites shut off. :eek:

"gearhead"?
YES...bonified! ;)
Problem?
NO

But interesting to note how others may percieve one's vast array of gear as a "problem".
"For who?", I ask. :D

Jeff

David Metsky said:
I've got 10 pair of skis and 8 pair of ski boots, with a 9th on order. But nothing campares to Dana's quiver.

I'll probably do a purge this summer, and get myself down to 5 pair of skis and 5 pair of boots. :) And get rid of 2 of my 4 bikes. But I'll probably buy another one of those.

4 or 5 sleeping bags, 3 tents, 6 or 7 packs, who knows what else lives in the gear closet?

-dave-

Like they say the only difference between Men and Boys is the size and number of their toys!

My name is McRat, and I'm a gearaholic.

I finally realized the extent of the madness, and am trying to get a grip on it.

My obsession is symbolized by my spiffy titanium spork.

I paid $8 to reduce an 1/8th of an ounce from my pack weight.

Yet I carry an extra 30lbs of food under my skin. :rolleyes:

Thank goodness I can laugh at myself...

Thanks Mike for the funny reminder. While working at EMS I bought a Jr. 20 degree bag that I got off the clearance rack before 07/1998. Two things make this funny:

Our oldest child was born in 2000, but we knew we would have children (science & biology willing) :eek:

By mistake I brought the Jr. Bag to Europe so the few days we car camped I slept in (sort of) a bag designed for a five footer, not a wide six footer! :D

dvbl said:
So, are you one of those who can't pass up a great deal on a piece of gear even if you have no need for it because you already have one (and a back-up)?

I guess I qualify as a recovering gearoholic. I can't stop buying gear (especially on sale) even if I already own one, but after buying the new item I force myself to give away the old one to either the local Goodwill store or a Boy Scout troop.

I have been a Gearoholic for many years. This is due to too much money and too many experiments. Let’s break down the obsession.

8 Backpacks.
13 Sleeping Bags (-25°f – 32°f)
7 Tents (4 expedition grade).
9 Stoves.
12 Headlamps.
Several climbing ropes, axes, biners, etc.
3 harnesses.
5 pair of boots.
3 Crampons.
4 Instep Crampons.
3 Hiking Pole sets.
7 Gore-tex / Imitation Gore-Tex, Coats (and matching pants).
4 Goose Down Coats.
18 Pairs of gloves.
102 Dehydrated Mountain House meals on the shelf (I buy in bulk).
18 Nalgene water bottles.
etc., etc., etc.

If I ever hold a eBay sale, many folks will be happy.

I buy nothing but TNF, Bibler, Black Diamond, Marmot, Sierra Designs, MSR, some REI, but NO EMS CRAP (sorry if I upset some but all the EMS branded gear I have bought never lasted longer than one major event. On a big mountain I want security and safety, not price, not warranty).

I often am amazed how much I spent over the years which I know it has been about $4K per year for the last 10 years or more. Often I buy gear just to try it out and never use it again. Always seeking for just the right gear.