Canoe Camping

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailbiscuit

Reaction score
1,997 - 1,998 - 1,999...; Home: Topshizzum, ME
Since it only hurts when I walk, I'm thinking about trying paddling as a new way to explore the wilds of New England. This will hopefully satisfy our need to get out and play while I am on the mend. Anyone have any suggestions for two "semi-professional" backpackers, who looking to make the transition. We have very little paddling experience, so small, quiet non-white rivers would be best. What about lakes? And, we don't plan on purchasing any boats, so any thoughts on rental locations and logistics would be great.
THANKS

Maine Island Trail

Not canoe camping, but look at sea kayaking. A good, fiberglass boat might run you over $2000 apiece, which is the biggest drawback. However, we've spent many a night on our own private island. Can be used in lakes, as well. The Cascade Designs boat I've used (I've borrowed from Kaibar) carry about 400 lbs each. I run about half that. That leaves a lot of room for gear. Since you aren't carrying it, camping out consists of some really good food and lots of beer. When I get to the point where I can't hike, ski, and climb as much, instead of picking up golf I plan to be in a boat more. "Kayak is my golf" has been mentioned.

One word, Saco. It may not be the best if you're looking for solitude, but it's fun! Plenty of rental places in the Conway area.

The saco river isn't bad. It's nice because you can camp just about anywhere along the bank, unless all the spots are taken :eek: . We went mid-week last year and saw many larger groups.

There are tons of places to rent boats (very nice boats), and lots of nice routes in the Adirondacks, the Raquette River is classic.

Moosehead Lake in Maine is supposed to be cool, I think several places rent canoes. Same with Umbagog.

I don't think most of these offer real "solitude", but it may be hard to find a combination of outfitter nearby and solitude. You might do better renting from EMS and then going somewhere further away.

Oh man, compared to backpacking, boat camping is the life of luxury. Especially if you don't have any substantial portages. You can bring good food and books and big birding binoculars... anyway.

I think if you are serious about taking up canoeing, you should consider buying a canoe. Rental fees add up really fast, and planning trips around rental locations will limit you to more popular areas. Plus, almost any used canoe will do for beginner flatwater paddling, as long as you stay away from banana-shaped whitewater styles. Look in Uncle Henry's and I bet you can find any number of 16 or 17 foot tripping canoes for around $500, or maybe even less.

Of course, you have to have a place to store it, and have roof racks to transport it. But, once you have your own boat, you can paddle where and when you want.

sleeping bear said:
Moosehead Lake in Maine is supposed to be cool, I think several places rent canoes. Same with Umbagog.
Umbagog is nice. I've only been canoeing up there twice, but it's definitely one of the best spots of the North Country. I seem to recall that you could rent campsites on Big Island (SPNHF owns the island, maybe they lease it to one of the outfitters or to the state or feds, not sure), but can't find the info online.

(warning: Umbagog can get wicked choppy on a windy day...)

Joys of canoe camping

A core group of ten of us, then mostly from SE Mass. but now somewhat dispersed, started doing 3 or 4 day Memorial Day weekend canoe campers 20 years ago and haven't missed one yet. We long since used up the useable rivers of southern NE and have had great experiences on rivers in VA and West VA, in one direction, and Maine in the other.

Yes, it is cushy compared to backpacking. Outdoor gourmands will be in their element. It is also remarkable how many unscripted campsites are available even on rivers like the Charles. Islands are a good bet. (Beware the Housatonic in Conn., however - that was our worst trip - a dozen years ago - chivvied mercilessly by authorities, which hasn't appened to us anywhere else. We haven't heard good things about the Saco, however, and have avoided that. It's nice for day-trips, though.)

You should buy a canoe if your interest is serious - an Old Town or the like made of Royalex (an indestructible and flexible compound). They're not expensive and a few trips will repay your investment. We avoid lakes - the wind picks up and all of sudden you're dodging whitecaps and/or bailing. Most rivers will have at least a few portages if your trip extends to a couple of days, and for those "wheels" - widely available -are useful. They fold up and don't take much room in your canoe.

Check out the Northern Forest Canoe Trail - 740 miles from Old Forge NY to Fort Kent, NY. It's new and seems likely to push Northeast canoe camping to a new level. We're doing a stretch of it in a few weeks. They have a website.

Last edited:
An excellent trip can be done on part of the St. Croix river which forms some of the international boundary between Maine and New Brunswick, Canada. The water is dam controlled below Vanceboro (the usuall start) and has good flow on most summer weekends. It's a mix of flatwater and class 1 and 2 with a short stretch of class 3 that can be easily carried, this makes it a river for all but the greenest of greenhorns. I took my kids down it when they were 9 and 10.
You can hire a man to drive your car from the start to the end, usually at either loon bay or about 10 miles beyond, he owns a small store in Vanceboro and used to allow camping behind his store (at the river's edge) on the night before a trip. The trip from Vanceboro to Loon bay is approx 19 miles, you can camp one or two nights on the way and there is really good smallmouth bass fishing between the fastwater sections. There's nothing but woods on both sides of the river. We've seen moose and bald eagles there. Just a great river trip.
There used to be good description of this trip in the AMC Maine river guide if anyone is interested.

Chas.

These books could guide you to some good spots for exploring in a boat. We use the VT/NH one all the time.

Quiet water guide VT/NH

Quiet water guide for CT/MA/RI

I'll never forget the fun of our first summer with a canoe. We rented one on a weekend in Brattleboro, VT to use on the Connecticut River. That same day I told my husband, we've gotta get a canoe. We bought the canoe the same week we bought our very first house. I was more excited about the canoe than the house, by far.

There is also a long distance canoe "trail" that you may be interested in some day, I think it's been mentioned here before. Sounds like an awesome experience! Northern Forest Canoe Trail

I would also recommend buying a canoe. It's so nice to have it and just throw it on the top of the car and head out for an adventure. We've definitely gotten our money's worth out of our 17' Old Town. We leave her outside in the winter and the weather has worn off most of her lettering, leaving just "Old T" So that's her name. Old T....we love her. She's as dear to me as my pack...maybe even more so actually. A whole new way to experience the outdoors. Exploring nooks and crannies of ponds, lakes, rivers, reservoirs. We see more wildlife when we canoe than we ever do hiking.

If you get a canoe some day and travel to VT check out Green River Reservoir
Green River Reservoir

Since it's nearly impossible to get a "VFTT" in a canoe, I'll stop now! ;)

Good luck, have fun...buy a boat!!!!!

Last edited:
call contoocook river canoe and kayak in concord nh. 603-753-9804. They rent canoes and kayaks for day trips on the merrimac and contoocook and blackwater rivers. kind of a nice way to start out doing some day trips on mellow water. They shuttle you up and you take your own pace paddling back to your car. After 2 or 3 trips you will have an idea of how you like it and what you want to do next.

arghman said:
Umbagog is nice. I've only been canoeing up there twice, but it's definitely one of the best spots of the North Country. I seem to recall that you could rent campsites on Big Island (SPNHF owns the island, maybe they lease it to one of the outfitters or to the state or feds, not sure), but can't find the info online.

(warning: Umbagog can get wicked choppy on a windy day...)

NH Division of Parks and Recreation administers the remote camping sites on Umbagog, including the ones across the line in Maine, as part of
Umbagog Lake State Park. Remote sites can be reserved online at that site. Bring your $$ -- it's a minimum $24 per night ($29 from June 16-Sept. 3) and a minimum two night stay for a reservation for the remote sites.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replys so far everyone! I know that Snowman is bummed out to have his knees not cooperating for hiking this spring, so it's great to know about all the canoeing/kayaking available around New England. It definitely looks like we have something to research and have fun with this summer if we can't get out on the trails with our backpacks :)

hikerfast said:
call contoocook river canoe and kayak in concord nh. 603-753-9804. They rent canoes and kayaks for day trips on the merrimac and contoocook and blackwater rivers. kind of a nice way to start out doing some day trips on mellow water. They shuttle you up and you take your own pace paddling back to your car. After 2 or 3 trips you will have an idea of how you like it and what you want to do next.

Bob and I visited with these folks yesterday and they are so very helpful!! Bob listed their number above but they also have a website at: http://www.contoocookcanoe.com/contoocook.html

We canoed for 9 miles in 3 hours along the Contoocook River yesterday and it was my first time on a river. I loved it!! Learned a few strokes and rested my knee which was a bit affected from 2 past weekends of long hikes. Saw a Great Blue Heron and a muskrat.

Last edited:
Canoe camping,and kayak camping,are quite different. Each has it's advantages. A canoe is like having the trunk of your car floating-just load it up! Kayak camping takes some planning and compact gear,but it can be more comfortable for some,and you can cover a lot more distance for the effort.Also,with a sea kayak,you can venture out on the ocean,or just paddle a flatwater pond,it all works. I wouldn't recommend ocean travel by canoe,unless you have the experience and special gear required. Mrs KD and I canoed six NE rivers before we discovered kayaking. Your best bet is to sample both and see which you prefer. Here are some possibilities
Northern Waters-Canoe or kayaking on Magalloway and Umbagog
Squam Lake-Canoe or Kayak Rentals-Camping(pricey-but there is a legitimate reason) I would recommend Moon Island
Old Quarry-Sea Kayaking,mainland or Island Camping-guided trips(Bill is a pretty cool guy!) Here's the book that got us started canoeing
A couple of other thoughts-don't judge either one by the gear that you are provided on a rental or trip. Most outfitters don't use high end stuff,as it gets beaten up. Better gear is usually a better experience.
Also,this time of year,all the major stores have on water demos of their boats
Here's the REI Info
And Here's Kittery Outlet info
Happy Paddling!

Saco?

Is the Saco a problem? I've tentatively agreed to co-lead a trip with my son's Cub Scout pack this summer, and the leader was mentioning the Saco as a good 2-3 day place to go. I have also heard rumors, however, that it tends to be loud and a bit alcohol-fueled... definitely not the place for 10 year olds. We still have time to change itineraries.
Thanks- sorry if this is hijacking the thread- if so, feel free to PM me instead of replying.
Weatherman

Great Northern Canoe Trail

weatherman said:
Is the Saco a problem? I've tentatively agreed to co-lead a trip with my son's Cub Scout pack this summer, and the leader was mentioning the Saco as a good 2-3 day place to go. I have also heard rumors, however, that it tends to be loud and a bit alcohol-fueled... definitely not the place for 10 year olds. We still have time to change itineraries.
Thanks- sorry if this is hijacking the thread- if so, feel free to PM me instead of replying.
Weatherman

Well, I haven't canoed the Saco in a few years. But, on summer weekends, there used to be parties all along the way. So, not the best place for families.

That being said, no one has mentioned the Northern Forest Canoe Trail, going from Old Forge NY to St. John. A couple of maps have been published, and others are in the works.

Northern Forest Canoe Trail

Peaks said:
That being said, no one has mentioned the Northern Forest Canoe Trail, going from Old Forge NY to St. John. A couple of maps have been published, and others are in the works.

See # 7 above. ;) You can join for $35, get a free map (that otherwise cost $10 - they're great) and other interesting info on the Trail, supporting their excellent efforts. All but two of their 13 maps are now out, and the last two are coming soon. You can get them through the NFCT website - www.northernforestcanoetrail.org .