Lost my Dog on Hunter Mtn.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparkdog

Reaction score
White English Setter lost 5/7 AM between Devil's Acre Lean-to and Hunter summit. If you saw him after 9 AM please let me know where and when.

bummer. In case you did not check, there is a posting under Trail Conditions/NY of someone else on Hunter that day. You might want to email them. Good luck.

A while back a guy in NH lost his dog while out on the trails. The dog got spooked, took off and was gone for a few days. There was a very happy ending when someone found the dog and took him in. The human and dog were soon reunited.
I hope you and your dog have the same very good luck. Don't give up, you will find your pup...

Sending good thoughts your way...
...Jade

Bummer. Was he wearing a collar with tags? Best wishes for a happy ending!

Did you leave a jacket or something with your scent on it near where the dog ran off? Sometimes a dog will return and wait there. I will check with a couple friends who live in Spruceton and Hunter area. You might also try calling Hunter Mt. Ski area.

Last edited:
I too was on Hunter yesterday, but saw no pups. :( Up and down via Becker Hollow Trail, saw only 4 people both ways, heard nothing but birds. Sorry. Best of luck in your search.

Most times, and I have seen this happen more than once, the dog returns to where it was last with you. Good luck, I hope you find your dog.

Keith

Go back and put a shirt with your scent on it a hundred yards up the trail. Preferably one with a good scent like a workout shirt.
We've done that to locate hunting dogs that took off after a snowshoe rabbit late in the day.
Good luck.

Just adding that it IS a really good idea to leave scraps of a dirty tshirt hanging along the trail leading back to the trail head -- its true that your pup should catch a whiff.

Please report back when you find your pup!!!!
Hang in there,
Sabrina

Good advice with the scent. However, some messages interpretable by humans are also a good idea:

Notify all local authorities including: local police, state police, local animal shelters, veterinary offices, trail maintaining personnel

Make fliers, with a color picture. Include a thorough description, your contact information, alternate contact info, and a reward offer. Post them at the trail head and anywhere else people can get to - like the shelter. Be sure to mention any pertinent health issues. For ease of contacting you, might not be a bad idea to make those little slips at the bottom with a phone #, so that someone can easily rip one off. Also post them all over likely towns.

A couple of other possibilities:
If your dog is an intact male, and you have access to a bitch in season, set up camp where you last saw your dog for a few days. The scent will typically draw in an intact male.
If your dog has a special dog-buddy - do likewise. They may home in on each other.

Best of luck.

Dugan said:
Make fliers, with a color picture.
Most dog lovers have tons of pics of their dog(s), but make sure you have a good side and front shot, with perspective in it so people can see how big Rover is.

Good luck, from another dog lover, and frequent hiker of Hunter. :)

Found!

Sparky showed up yesterday at someone's house down the other side of Hunter in Lanesville. He (and we) are very relieved but he is completely worn out.

Thanks for all your input.

YAY Sparky!!! :) :D :) :D Now if only he could share his experiences and let you know how he got separated.....

Yes, thanks for letting us know......
....Jade

jade said:
YAY Sparky!!! :) :D :) :D Now if only he could share his experiences and let you know how he got separated.....

Yes, thanks for letting us know......
....Jade

Agreed - what goes on in those tiny little pooch brains???

You and Sparky must be thrilled with your happy ending!

Status
Not open for further replies.