View Poll Results: How much do you spend on hiking every year?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • $0-$300

23 21.10%
  • $300-$1,000

47 43.12%
  • $1,000-$3,000

19 17.43%
  • > $3,000

6 5.50%
  • Eek! Don't make me think about that!

14 12.84%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How much do you spend on hiking?

All you need is gear...gear is all you need...

If I could just live with what I have it could be a cheap hobby...but, I never used to hike in winter, but now I do...the big snowshoes I had were not good for alpine stuff...oh yeah, better get crampons...and damnit - you need an ice axe...
    The thing that is getting me now is ultralight...just got a great pack that weighs ounces and will need to get a lighter sleeping bag, etc...
    At least I do not usually eat out...and our cars get decent mileage...
    - Mike

How bad can it be?
    Bobby

Most of my gear has an "X" scrawled in black marker over the logo 'cause its from EMS and was a sample or return. The rest came from the recycling center. My most recent acquisition was a very nice daypack given to me by Carole.(THANKS!!)
    I'd be very surprised if I spend over $50/year on gear. Kids and college tuition will have me hiking in my skivvies before long, but I'll still be having fun.

I'm hoping that since I am new to hiking, most of my costs are simply front-end "needed" items and that I will not need to buy so much this coming year. Wishful thinking, I guess.
    Cut my pizza into ten slices instead of eight. I'm very hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by deanmacg
    It`s amazing how much $$ you can free up for gear when you don`t drink.
    Is it more fun looking good with better gear, or looking like hell and enjoying beer? I now have alot of nice gear, but...
    I find I always need new snow shoes or a lighter paddle or new gadget of sorts, I never get rid of anything so it can be expensive but whats money if you enjoy it? I'd say travel expenses are the biggy and getting bigger. glad I live in the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by LenDawg
    I'm hoping that since I am new to hiking, most of my costs are simply front-end "needed" items and that I will not need to buy so much this coming year. Wishful thinking, I guess.
    Depends on how good you are at avoiding the tempatation to upgrade once you have a serviceable set of gear.

Doug

I don't want to think about it!

I probably spend way too much. A lot of the expense is on rock and ice climbing for gear, guides, airfare. A new addiction to 14er's - which probably won't get too crazy with 5 more years of kid's college tuition to pay. Hiking in the Whites is isn't too bad except that I like to stop and eat after a hike at the Common Man on my way home. I think of it all as an investment in my health and sanity. Hiking, climbing and playing ice hockey year round keeps me in good shape. I hate going to the gym. I find it boring. My job can be pretty stressful and getting out into the mountains and trails helps to keep me focused. Thinking about what I spend would probably raise my blood pressure, so I'll just go out and hike and not add up the cost.
    Woody

1,997 - 1,998 - 1,999...; Home: Topshizzum, ME
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody48
    My job can be pretty stressful and getting out into the mountains and trails helps to keep me focused.
    Then think about what it "cost" if you didn't go out. That would be really get "expensive."
    "You must go and you must ramble through every briar and bramble till your life is in a shambles. Maybe then you will know. You were born to blunder, born to wander, born to wonder. Even when youíre six feet under, thereís a place that you must go." - John Hiatt

sn0m8n.blogspot.com

I say the more someone is exposed to advertisement and marketing (and influenced by it), the more he's gonna spend on hiking gear. It's a fact, nothing except our own body is really essential to go for a walk. We're brainwashed by TNF, MH, EMS or whatever. All they want is the money in your wallet. I'm one of their thousand of victims, that's why I hate them.

What if all that money was used for the next VFTT gathering ? We could have everybody in Glacier Natl Park, with an amazing BBQ, tons of beer and a million gallons of ice cream.

$54.28 and all set for another 3 seasons

I just replaced my worn out (sole seperated) pair of NB 'runners at the Grand opening of their new outlet in Oxford ME. That, and 2 synthetic tee's and I'm good to go...

Onestep

I voted in the 300- 1000 range but it's close to the 1000. Not much gear these daysbut I have bought a ton of it in years past. Now mostly gas, some hostels, parking & food.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Trailbiscuit:

You are so right! I see so many guys my age with major health problems. Keep on hiking!
    Woody

I have to admit I spend more than I have to for hiking. I think my biggest problem is my other outdoor hobies, Climbing, Mt biking, XC skiing. fly fishing, and my water garden Those dont help. If I go to crazy I have to hear it from my wife. Thats why I wait until she buys something then I get what I need

Quote Originally Posted by snowshoe
    I have to admit I spend more than I have to for hiking. I think my biggest problem is my other outdoor hobies, Climbing, Mt biking, XC skiing. fly fishing, and my water garden Those dont help. If I go to crazy I have to hear it from my wife. Thats why I wait until she buys something then I get what I need
    Don't wait for her to buy something. Be proactive. Any time she admires something, anything, any article of clothing, tell her she should get it. If she confesses that she spent a little much at the mall, be lavish, liberal, lofty, and loose with the loot. Tell her she deserves it. Tell her she deserves even more. Tell her how good she looks in new clothes, how she really needs to go to Tweeter and have that super CD changer installed in her car. Make sure that she is spending more than you are and your life will be filled with gear.