How much do you spend on hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much do you spend on hiking every year?

• $0-$300

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • $300-$1,000

Votes: 47 43.1%
  • $1,000-$3,000

Votes: 19 17.4%
  • > $3,000

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Eek! Don't make me think about that!

Votes: 14 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
It seems a lot of folks are talking about money on the board the last few weeks. Maybe it's gas prices, maybe something else.

Anyway, I used to think that hiking would be a cheap hobby. After all, you just go out and walk in the woods, right? Bzzzt! Wrong! I learned that having the right gear is essential and I'm constantly buying new stuff, upgrading, replacing worn out stuff, etc. And let's not forget the cost of gorp, gatorade, (beer! :D), hotels, gas, flat tires, tickets, tolls, oil changes, etc.

I haven't really added it up yet, so I don't know what my expenditures are on a yearly basis, but I'll bet it's pretty high! :eek:

Tom Rankin said:
It seems a lot of folks are talking about money on the board the last few weeks. Maybe it's gas prices, maybe something else.

Anyway, I used to think that hiking would be a cheap hobby. After all, you just go out and walk in the woods, right? Bzzzt! Wrong! I learned that having the right gear is essential and I'm constantly buying new stuff, upgrading, replacing worn out stuff, etc. And let's not forget the cost of gorp, gatorade, (beer! :D), hotels, gas, flat tires, tickets, tolls, oil changes, etc.

I haven't really added it up yet, so I don't know what my expenditures are on a yearly basis, but I'll bet it's pretty high! :eek:
I don't spend much on gear. I run things into the ground and then replace them. I don't even wash my hiking clothes (I leave them out in the rain instead) so I save on those costs! As far as food, well it's a sunk cost. I'd be eating lunch at home if I wasn't on the trail. Gas is about the only thing. Luckily my 8 year old, dog-vommit Saturn gets 40mpg.

-Dr. Wu

I tend to spend very little on gear on a yearly basis; the stuff lasts a long time! The biggest expense in the last few years has been an annual hut to hut trip with the kids. But I do love the huts.

dr_wu002 said:
I don't spend much on gear. I run things into the ground and then replace them. I don't even wash my hiking clothes (I leave them out in the rain instead) so I save on those costs! As far as food, well it's a sunk cost. I'd be eating lunch at home if I wasn't on the trail. Gas is about the only thing. Luckily my 8 year old, dog-vommit Saturn gets 40mpg. -Dr. Wu

I spend more on food because I usually end up eating out when I travel. I usually bring a cooler full of food too, to help keep the cost down.

Remind me never to drive anywhere with you! :eek:

I too was under the illusion that hiking was inexpensive. :eek: but even though I try to be careful, everything I do is times 3 and the kids are growing constantly as much as I try not to think about that. I cut corners where I can. Gas has to be the worst part right now. Don't know how much I spend and don't think I really want to know. ;)

Need is a funny thing. I convince myself regularly that I need something new, but do I REALLY need it? More often than not, no. Buying gear can be fun- just like trip planning during times when one is not hiking.....

I spend a LOT on hiking but mostly because I am a gearholic and am constantly upgrading or buying something different etc. Gas money and eating out money are the two most likely expenses that I would otherwise save if I had a hobby my parents' approved of . . . um . . . like stamp-collecting, a hobby truly suggested by my father to replace my existing "crazy hobby" :D

sli74

I don't spend too much on gear anymore, just the occasional replacement piece. What eats up my budget is airfare, car rentals, climbing permits, etc, plus the usual gas, motels, etc.

This and last year have been high spending years for me - new sports, higher involvement in existing sports - all require purchases of new or improved gear :D

Climbing gear, ice climbing gear, mountain bike (stolen last year, I need a new one ;) ), road bike, upgrade the kayak, etc... all that is easily close to $5000.

Previous years I did not spend this much, probably under $200.

It often costs me less to be on the trail or river than work with the cost of commuting, parking and a couple lunches a week, though the multi sport thing hurts the pocket book.

Teli skiing, Cross country
MNT biking
Hiking
Bit of climbing (want to revive this hobby a bit)
Canoeing, Kayaking

Some gear crosses over, but a lot does not.

Some years get expensive, but I know people that drop 5-10k a year playing golf and 500$ a day to drive a big boat in the afternoon after the morning round of golf:confused: :eek: .

Last edited:
sli74 said:
Gas money and eating out money are the two most likely expenses that I would otherwise save if I had a hobby my parents' approved of . . . um . . . like stamp-collecting, a hobby truly suggested by my father to replace my existing "crazy hobby" :D

sli74

Oh Sli you have got to be kidding... Your parents and my parents should get together...My folks aren't exactly keen on my hobby either...

I've cut down on my expenses greatly since moving to upstate NY...Gas is about my biggest expense now that most of my hiking trips are day trips.

I’m pretty well set for gear for the time being (famous last words). Gas is probably the highest expenditure I have on a regular basis. Normally we drive from CT to NH every Friday night. 235 miles door to door. Because of the gas situation and a few other issues, we haven’t been in NH for 5 weeks. We are heading up this weekend for a trip to Greenleaf, which will kickoff our spring hiking season. I’m hoping to work the streets during lunch so I can afford the gas.

Gas and food are inevitables. As far as gear, I find that I will spend less money in the long run if when I want a new item I buy the one I really want no matter what the cost. It was hard to sell the wife on this but I have a history of buying a cheeper version of something to save money then upgrade several different times to end up with the one I should have bought in the first place. Wasting money like that makes hiking cost more then it should.

I would say my biggest cost is airfare each year.

It is amazing how much drinking you can do if you don't buy gear. ;)

Peace.