How much do you spend on hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much do you spend on hiking every year?

• $0-$300

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • $300-$1,000

Votes: 47 43.1%
  • $1,000-$3,000

Votes: 19 17.4%
  • > $3,000

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Eek! Don't make me think about that!

Votes: 14 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I had to admit with gas, food, shelter fees etc... I average well over the 300 mark. But when I consider that this includes a 2 - 3 week vacation, shorter backpack trips and day hikes, its not bad. When I figure in other days out, its probably 15 dollars a day for vacation expenses, including transportation?

Hey, if I compare that to a vacation in Europe - I'm in the black, saving big bucks by hiking. Yeah, that's it - I save so much backpacking that if I did it all the time, I'd be rich. So, all that gear I buy is really a sound investment (if only I could convince someone other than myself).

I am not sure how much money we spend a year. My wife and I tend to buy medium to good quality stuff that is multipurpose. I found that she is more willing to get stuff after watching Hurricane Katrina and when I suggest something is a good idea cause we could use it after a natural catastrophe. We actually had a natural catastrophe (straight line wind, trees down all over, power out for 56 hours), and we used our car camping gear (Coleman stove and light). So, is the purchase for hiking or disaster preparedness?

I also consider hiking expenditures to be a little like health insurance. I have had two significant surgeries to repair consequences of my appendix that ruptured and healed over and open up blocked sinuses since I got serious about hiking in the Adirondacks. I have no doubt that I got back to work much earlier than I would have if I had not been doing the hiking.

So, regardless of the amount spent, excellent value is received for the expenditure for hiking and camping equipment.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.

I think hiking is like many things that don't appear expensive until you tally up all your costs and finally look at the resulting large number.

The only way to give this number any meaning would be to take other things in your life and add them up in the same way. For example, how much do you spend on buying lunch at the deli instead of bringing it from home?

Or, compare it to your paycheck. Most people are making an annual income that seems impossibly large when compared to day to day expenses. (Although probably never as impossibly large as one might like.) That money is going to all sorts of things, and unless you are putting away lots of savings, all those 5 and 6 digit salaries are getting spent on something.

Anyway, to answer the question, I have no idea how much I spend hiking. But I enjoy it all the same!

If I use the "I'm saving money by not vacationing in europe" rationalization and then also consider that I would probably donate to conservation/trail organizations anyway, I can come in at the 300-1000 range.

Gasoline is definitely my largest expense.

Heard about this car on On Point this morning on WBUR
http://www.commutercars.com/

If the battery range was little longer and USFS put in charging stations instead of bathrooms then I'd be set, provided I was hiking solo, without my dog and a small pack (and that part the car currently costing >100 K).

All you need is gear...gear is all you need...

If I could just live with what I have it could be a cheap hobby...but, I never used to hike in winter, but now I do...the big snowshoes I had were not good for alpine stuff...oh yeah, better get crampons...and damnit - you need an ice axe...
The thing that is getting me now is ultralight...just got a great pack that weighs ounces and will need to get a lighter sleeping bag, etc...
At least I do not usually eat out...and our cars get decent mileage...

Most of my gear has an "X" scrawled in black marker over the logo 'cause its from EMS and was a sample or return. The rest came from the recycling center. My most recent acquisition was a very nice daypack given to me by Carole.:)(THANKS!!):)
I'd be very surprised if I spend over $50/year on gear. Kids and college tuition will have me hiking in my skivvies before long, but I'll still be having fun.

I'm hoping that since I am new to hiking, most of my costs are simply front-end "needed" items and that I will not need to buy so much this coming year. Wishful thinking, I guess. :rolleyes:

deanmacg said:
It`s amazing how much $$ you can free up for gear when you don`t drink.
Is it more fun looking good with better gear, or looking like hell and enjoying beer? I now have alot of nice gear, but...
I find I always need new snow shoes or a lighter paddle or new gadget of sorts, I never get rid of anything so it can be expensive but whats money if you enjoy it? I'd say travel expenses are the biggy and getting bigger. glad I live in the mountains.

LenDawg said:
I'm hoping that since I am new to hiking, most of my costs are simply front-end "needed" items and that I will not need to buy so much this coming year. Wishful thinking, I guess. :rolleyes:
Depends on how good you are at avoiding the tempatation to upgrade once you have a serviceable set of gear.

Doug

I don't want to think about it!

I probably spend way too much. A lot of the expense is on rock and ice climbing for gear, guides, airfare. A new addiction to 14er's - which probably won't get too crazy with 5 more years of kid's college tuition to pay. :eek: Hiking in the Whites is isn't too bad except that I like to stop and eat after a hike at the Common Man on my way home. I think of it all as an investment in my health and sanity. Hiking, climbing and playing ice hockey year round keeps me in good shape. I hate going to the gym. I find it boring. My job can be pretty stressful and getting out into the mountains and trails helps to keep me focused. Thinking about what I spend would probably raise my blood pressure, so I'll just go out and hike and not add up the cost.

I say the more someone is exposed to advertisement and marketing (and influenced by it), the more he's gonna spend on hiking gear. It's a fact, nothing except our own body is really essential to go for a walk. We're brainwashed by TNF, MH, EMS or whatever. All they want is the money in your wallet. I'm one of their thousand of victims, that's why I hate them.

What if all that money was used for the next VFTT gathering ? We could have everybody in Glacier Natl Park, with an amazing BBQ, tons of beer and a million gallons of ice cream.

$54.28 and all set for another 3 seasons

I just replaced my worn out (sole seperated) pair of NB 'runners at the Grand opening of their new outlet in Oxford ME. That, and 2 synthetic tee's and I'm good to go...

Onestep

I voted in the 300- 1000 range but it's close to the 1000. Not much gear these daysbut I have bought a ton of it in years past. Now mostly gas, some hostels, parking & food.

I have to admit I spend more than I have to for hiking. I think my biggest problem is my other outdoor hobies, Climbing, Mt biking, XC skiing. fly fishing, and my water garden :eek: Those dont help. If I go to crazy I have to hear it from my wife. Thats why I wait until she buys something then I get what I need :D

snowshoe said:
I have to admit I spend more than I have to for hiking. I think my biggest problem is my other outdoor hobies, Climbing, Mt biking, XC skiing. fly fishing, and my water garden :eek: Those dont help. If I go to crazy I have to hear it from my wife. Thats why I wait until she buys something then I get what I need :D
Don't wait for her to buy something. Be proactive. Any time she admires something, anything, any article of clothing, tell her she should get it. If she confesses that she spent a little much at the mall, be lavish, liberal, lofty, and loose with the loot. Tell her she deserves it. Tell her she deserves even more. Tell her how good she looks in new clothes, how she really needs to go to Tweeter and have that super CD changer installed in her car. Make sure that she is spending more than you are and your life will be filled with gear.