views from south of lakes region?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
I've been interested in hikes with nice views across lakes to the White Mountains. I've climbed Rattlesnake Mt., which has a nice view west across Sqam Lake. I've heard that Mt Major has nice views, but is there a clear view north? Are there other recommeded mountains with views across a lake to the White Mountains?

Gunstock Mountain?

When we vacationed on Moultonborough Neck in the seventies, we looked across the lake to Gunstock, and I see there are trails to the top. Trip Reports, Please!

Trip reports

OTHH has a site with pictures from lots of New Hampshire Mountains here.

I see pictures that suggest what you're looking for from Mt. Major and Percival. When I was on Morgan and Percival, I was so taken with the views over Squam Lake to the south that I don't remember the view north!

If you check some others, you might find something else.

Red Hill; Gunstock; Sunapee

--M. said:
When we vacationed on Moultonborough Neck in the seventies, we looked across the lake to Gunstock, and I see there are trails to the top. Trip Reports, Please!

Red Hill has great views from its firetower, but as it is in Center Harbor (north shore of W'saukee), what you see beyond the Lake to the south are peaks like Gunstock, Kearsarge, Ragged, and on a clear day farther south, Monadnock. There are good views north too, but the Sandwich range blocks Mt. Washington and the rest of the Predidentials.

Gunstock, I think, has pretty much exactly what Forestnome is looking for. I've enjoyed its summit view many times, always going up one way (the summit chair) but down by a variety of great ski trails. The snowy Presidentials towering over the vastness of the Lake on a clear day would inspire anyone. There is a cabin at the top with a front deck commanding that view that will sell you an Irish coffee or other libation, but I doubt it's open in summer. Unlike Tecumseh, for instance, no trails except ski, as far as I know.
[Edit: Carole's post below led me to check, belatedly, the AMC So. NH Trail Guide (2d), which describes a couple of trails to the summit of Gunstock, but both making some use of the ski trails.]

The view from atop Sunapee much resembles that from Gunstock, but the Lake you're looking over toward the Presidentials is Sunapee. Inspiring nonetheless, and in addition to many days skiing there, I hiked up there one crisp day in late September. A wedding reception was going on at the summit - the guests took the ski chair up.

View-hogs should certainly make a point to take in all three of these before their vision fails.

Last edited:
Major and Percival

Davehiker said:
I see pictures that suggest what you're looking for from Mt. Major and Percival. When I was on Morgan and Percival, I was so taken with the views over Squam Lake to the south that I don't remember the view north!

These two have great views, but as I recall (haven't hiked them in a few years) the Sandwich range blocks the Presidentials from both of them, as with Red Hill.

oh, the view!!

From Mt. Major you have close to a 360 view. On a good day you can see Moosilauke to Washington and on to the Balfaces in Maine, and lots in between. Gunstock has trails other than the ski trails. On Mt. Roberts and Mt. Shaw in the Ossipees you also get excellent panoramas north although the lakes are south.

Green Mountain

carole said:
On Mt. Roberts and Mt. Shaw in the Ossipees you also get excellent panoramas north although the lakes are south.

Shaw does give you a great view - like Red Hill but a lot higher. If we're expanding the parameters, I must put in a plug for Green Mt. in Effingham, NH (near Parsonsfield, ME). Here you are far enough east to have escaped the Sandwich range, and the view north to the Presidentials from its firetower on a clear day is spectacular. For large lakes, you have Ossipee and its outliers to the NW and Province to the S. You do see a few glimpses of W'saukee to the SW, below the summit of Gunstock (bringing me full circle).

There is a interesting loop you can do from the gunstock ski area, which avoids most ski trails.
Well, not exactly a loop, but, there is a way you can hit Gunstock Mtn. (2250)
Belknap Mtn. (2384) which has a fire tower, and Mt. Rowe (1670). Total hike about 6 miles.There are fine views along the way.Does'nt sound like much, but, keep in mind that winnipesaukee is at about 500 ft, so you pretty much tower over it. Great views of the lake & the whites.
Mt Major and Red hill are great too but, they can be crowded on weekends.
Mt Shaw in the Ossipees is a good hike. at just under 3000 ft. you'll feel like you climbed a 4k'er. Great views looking north from the summit, and a small side trip to blacksnout outlook offers commanding views over winnipesaukee and the belknap range.
Although i've never done it, I hear the squam range is nice too.

Just some idea's, Steve

The Sugarloaves near Newfound Lake can be accessed via the Elwell Trail. The western end of the Crawford Ridgepole Trail - Mts. Cotton, Livermore, and Webster - all give great views of Squam.

On a clear day, from the Red Hill Fire Tower cab, which you'll be invited up into by the warden, you can see west all the way to Killington and northwest to the Franconia ridge and the Kinsman ridge. Mt. Cardigan will give you good views to those last two as well, plus Moosilauke. From the cab of the Green Mountain fire tower in Freedom NH (over on the Maine border), you'll get good views of Passaconaway, TriP, Chocorua, and Washington. I don't know when Red Hill and Green Mtn towers are staffed in spring. The towers may be gated at the bottom before staffing begins.

The Two Towers (Red Hill - Green Mt.)

Waumbek said:
I don't know when Red Hill and Green Mtn towers are staffed in spring. The towers may be gated at the bottom before staffing begins.

Green Mt. is never gated - you can go to the platform just below the cab, with a little bench, 365 days per ann. Warden Harry Libby - long-time incumbent at that tower - hasn't begun before Memorial Day in my recollection.

Red Hill also has not been gated on the times I've been there with no warden on duty. That was both times I climbed Red Hill last summer, which made me wonder if it is no longer staffed.