Breakneck Ridge/Sugarloaf Loop, Hudson Highlands

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
Despite the ominous forecast, MichaelJ and I enjoyed super weather yesterday, Saturday May 13 here in the Hudson Valley.

After all the recent AMC hype, I decided to invite MichaelJ out for a hike of Breakneck Ridge, and we opted for the Breakneck/Sugarloaf Loop.

Driving north on 9D from Cold Spring, NY -- we got a taste of what lie ahead; a 1.5 mile scramble up from the base of Breakneck next to the Hudson River, 1000ft of which is gained in only 0.4 mile. It was great fun and we took it slowly so we could take in the views of Storm King Mntn, directly across the Hudson.

After briefly pausing at the top of the biggest section of climb, we pushed on over a series of more gentle climbs and knobs until we reached the summit of the ridge.

The trail continues along the ridge for several miles, offering super views of the Hudson River, Storm King, West Point, Black Rock Forest, Harriman State Park, Schenemunk, and the Shawangunks -- ordinarily the Catksills would have framed the backdrop, but ominous storm clouds obscured them from view.

We continued along the path through forests of oak, hickory, sugar maple and beech, and were treated to several glimpses of wild columbine, dogtooth clover, flowering dogwood trees, and some early budding mountain laurel. The forest was alive with the brilliant greens of newly opened leaves and freshly sprouted grasses. This area is unique in that the forest floor along the dips in the ridges is covered with light, feathery grasses.

Finally we dropped down from Breakneck and began a gentle, meandering climb up Sugarloaf, where we enjoyed a birdseye view of Bannermans Island and the ruins of the castles there. The sun was glistening on the Hudson below and several small ships had dropped anchor in the river between the mountains.

The trail back down Sugarloaf drops down into a more traditional hardwood forest with leafy forest floor, and follows a babbling brook for most of its descent. The sounds of the freight trains and cars travelling Rt 9D got closer and closer, and soon we were back out at the height of the Hudson and made our way about a tenth of a mile along the road back to the parking lot.

It was a great day to be out walking in the Hudson Highlands for a few hours, and although the skies threatened a couple of times, not a drop of rain fell on us.

Last edited:
Glad to see somebody appreciates the Number One Hike In The Northeast! If not for that AMC piece, Breakneck might never catch on w/ anyone! :D

Seriously, I've only been up there once, but would like to go back as I did enjoy it. It was last summer and we intended to traverse all the way to Mt. Beacon. Unfortunately it was about 95 degrees that day and we never even got close. We ended up bailing out down the notch between Breakneck and Taurus, where the old Cornish Farm ruin can be seen. Your Sugarloaf loop sounds appealing.

Matt

This was a great hike! I've really enjoyed getting to know that area of NY in the past month; I had no idea how beautiful it was, with the added side benefit of there being absolutely no ice or snow at all (the crampons and plastic boots are put away and staying that way!). Because of the terrible weather forecast, I didn't bring my camera, and of course that means the clouds were interspersed with sunshine and beautiful, open views. D'oh! I appreciated having una_dogger as my guide, because I had no idea what I was looking at (what was that big river again? :))

This was the first hike I've ever done that started by climbing up over a train and road tunnel. The ascent up Breakneck Point was a rock scrambler's dream, with a few fortuitious bypasses. The ridge was a walk through open woods, varying from stunted growth on high rocks down into open oak and maple glades.

The blackflies were out in some spots. Of course, they prefer the best viewpoints. :(

I was impressed with the number of enormous freight trains on the line along the west bank. At the same time, I was disappointed with how well I could hear them, from so far away and above.

I think we did 5-7 miles? Close to 2000' of elevation?

Oh, and like all good hikes, this one did, in fact, end with ice cream. :D

Nice TR. That is a great hike. Attractive under sunny skies, but it can be more impressive under a brooding sky with a nice breeze. You can almost hear the siren call of Lorelei and imagine the Ride of the Valkyries through the Hudson.Highlands. And with little shafts of sunlight shimmering and dancing on the Hudson you can almost see the Rhine Maidens swimming around the moat of Bannerman's Castle protecting their gold.

I was looking forward to MichaelJ's photos - another time maybe. The Sugarloaf views can be nice with those gnarly tree trunks as frames. The spring shades of green have been very nice this year.

Mcorsar, I spent three days backpacking around Breakneck/Fishkill Ridge a few years ago in late winter, and I camped one night near those ruins, they are very cool! I started that trip pretty late, and came over Breakneck on a dark foggy night; I had no idea I was near the ruins until the next morning, and when I looked up at the backside of Breakneck that morning, I was like "whoa, I did that in the dark??". Mt Taurus is also a really nice hike, and stringing the whole range together, along with the Breakness Bypass Trail, makes for a fun couple of days out in the woods. Sure, its not the Whites or the Daks, but its less than an hours drive from home!

Yup, Michael, the elevation gain for Breakneck was 1250; and your estimation of 2000 with the two little peaks combined; along with the mileage, sounds about right. Glad you had fun.

Mark, at one point, there was a huge dark cloud hanging over Storm King, and the rays of sunshine were shining down through it onto Bannermans Castle! It was a really cool moment!!!

This IS a great hike and I feel very fortunate to have called the Hudson Valley home for the past eight years!!

Last edited:
Aha, hiking over that train tunnel in the beginning is fun. Is the flagpole still there on that first nice ledge lookout?

Very long freight trains go on the west bank of the hudson, while metro north goes over the east bank (the tunnel you cross over is a metro north line). Those freight trains can get quite long and they seemingly are always going up or down it all day long.... Count the cars!

Jay

Nice report! I did Breakneck last week, for the first time. I did it after work. That steep fast ascent is sure a good way to work up a sweat in a hurry. We took the route Matt described. The views down across the river are great. It really is a birds eye view.

Jay, Yes the flag is still there.

here are some pictures