Mountain biking on Cape Cod

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hermit

Reaction score
Home-West Shokan N.Y.Avatar 35x12 Catskill grid pa
trail biking on Cape Cod

I was thinking about heading out to Cape Cod in a few weeks to bike on the roads and railtrails. I haven't been there in years. Does anyone have some advice where the best place to stay thats fairly close to the trails,Ocean,etc.Thank's in advance for any info.

Last edited:
For railtrails, I'd simply look at Railstotrail's Trailfinder:

http://www.traillink.com/TL_Active_Pages/TrailSearch/default.asp

Pretty useful as it gives length and surface material.

There is a pretty "railtrail" that runs the length of the cape along the north coast and the bay area, I'm sure you'll find it there. I'm sure you and Maddy would enjoy it anyway!

If you have the time and the gear (rack, panniers, or trailer), you might consider taking the bikes across the ferry at Woods Hole to Martha's Vineyard. You can ride the island from end to end as it's like 15-16 miles and wander around the island and there is a park with some trails around it in Edgartown, if I remember..

If you like to DIY and make your own tours, I'd recommend getting these maps for Eastern Mass and/or Cape Cod:

http://www.bikemaps.com/

I have the maps on Western Mass and found them excellent, if not buggy. They list bike shops, ice cream shops, etc. and are generally very good and easy to use.

Jay

Last edited:
hermit said:
I was thinking about heading out to Cape Cod in a few weeks to bike on the roads and railtrails. I haven't been there in years. Does anyone have some advice where the best place to stay thats fairly close to the trails,Ocean,etc.Thank's in advance for any info.

If you like camping, then stay at Nickerson State Park in Brewster, one the finest campgrounds here. :cool:

Nickerson State Park

From there, Nick has its own paved bike trails that link into the Cape Rail system which passes the main gate entrance located off Rt 6A.

There has been some major repaving of the Rail Trail, some still in segments unfinished, but many completed with new asphalt.
New extensions run into Chatham as well.

Nickerson Park has some great single track dirt trails, where the remainder of the Cape is almost entirely sand trails, lousy off road biking and a far cry from "Mountain Biking" :(
I might also advise to stay OFF the main roadways, the side curbing is very limited and dangerous.

However, the Cape Rail Trail is extensive and provides excellent scenery beyond the roads, linking many ponds with crystal clear waters and sandy beaches. :)
Go on a combo ride, Cape Cod National Seashore beach swim, then pond swim!

For me, I bike 2 miles to the Rail Trail, even less to Nickerson :)

Jeff

Last edited:
I would make sure I got to bike the trails out at Province Lands. Last summer I biked the rail trail, lots of side roads from the rail trail but the best biking I had was out at the Province Lands. Got a lot of biking in sicne my car went pahooey went I got to the Cape.Jeff is right, be careful of the main road, route 6 (?).

There is supposed to be good MTB trails near Otis AFB in Falmouth:

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-states-trails/trails-massachusetts/trail/PRD_168437_4554crx.aspx

As Jay said, you can take your road bike on the ferry to MV and bike there. It is about 55 miles to do the loop around the whole island. I've done it a couple of times and it is really nice. A cool part is when you have to cross Menemsha Bight. There is a dock with a bell and a hammer. You ring the bell with the hammer and a guy will come over with a skif and you and your bike get in the small boat and he takes you across the bight. Pretty cool. You can take the early ferry over, bike the whole loop, and take an evening ferry back to the mainland. It's a nice day.

If you want to hit some good MTB trails, stop at my house on your way to the Cape. I'll take you out in Foxboro or Freetown or to Big River in RI.

have fun

- darren

There is some decent single and double-track stuff which is not too horribly sandy off of the section of the rail trail just past Center Harwich on the way to Chatham. Nothing special, but not bad either if you are in the area.

If you get the chance take an early ferry to Martha's Vineyard. Roundtrip for a person and bike is very reasonable and the island is great for biking. There is also a campground.

I used to spend 2 weeks evey summer in Wellfleet until I decided I liked the Whites better (and finally convinced my wife)- There are miles of single track fire roads in Wellfleet and Truo which go through acres of forest- many of these run east/west and take you out to Ocean View Drive in Wellfleet. They are also wonderfull for trail running- You can pick up the local topo quad at South Wellfleet General Store on East side of Rte 6 (or the fishing shop next to it). Trails are ususally not to sandy and take you away from the more travelled routes-

I highly recommend checking these out if you are heading to the outer cape and would be happy to share some of my favorites-

Have fun!!!!