Alternatives to ADK High Peaks 5/26

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4check

Reaction score
OK, I'm starting to get nervous about parking for my intended Big Slide hike this Friday. Thought I would be ok the day before the "real" weekend (I'm still learning). Suggestions for somewhere with less traffic/better parking? I had hoped to do something around 10 miles that is pretty well marked as I will be hiking solo. Fitness-wise, I have done Giant Mtn. solo in pretty high heat and humidity. I immediately thought of the Pharaoh Mtn. area and Tongue Mtn loop, but would welcome all suggestions. I will be coming from the Capital Region but can't leave until about 7:30am.

Thanks in advance.

4check said:
OK, I'm starting to get nervous about parking for my intended Big Slide hike this Friday. Thought I would be ok the day before the "real" weekend (I'm still learning). Suggestions for somewhere with less traffic/better parking? I had hoped to do something around 10 miles that is pretty well marked as I will be hiking solo. Fitness-wise, I have done Giant Mtn. solo in pretty high heat and humidity. I immediately thought of the Pharaoh Mtn. area and Tongue Mtn loop, but would welcome all suggestions. I will be coming from the Capital Region but can't leave until about 7:30am.

Thanks in advance.

If you are planning Big Slide from the Garden and the parking lot is full there is always the shuttle that leaves from the airport parking lot in Keene Valley. I have not seen the shuttle schedule but I am sure somebody that post here may have. The garden lot is small but early Friday you may score a spot. The lot at the Ausable club is a possibility for Friday Morning offering access to a lot of the peaks.

The parking areas for tongue Mt range are not large and the road into Pharoah often is a challenge ( Crane Pond Road). There is a fairly large parking area on rte 74 ( Lily Pad Pond trailhead ) to give Pharoah wilderness access. also Puts Pond state park also has ample parking for the Pharoah area. I have not been in the Crane Pond Road this year but often there are areas that wash out.

My guess is if you get to your destination early on Friday morning you should be able to find a parking spot. Good luck

Last edited:
Here are some suggestions:

1. Colvin and Blake from Ausable Club/Rt 73 lot.

2. Nippletop and Dial from Ausable Club/Rt 73 (one of my favorites; much underappreciated for views)

3. Dix Mt from Rt 73/Round Pond (but limited parking space; you will see when driving in from ALB)

4check said:

Thanks in advance.

You could do Macomb. It's in that mileage range, and you'll get great views. The herd path up to Macomb is in very good shape, (Thanks Pete!) and the slide is not very steep. It does have some spots where there is loose rock, so be careful. If you're feeling good, you could go over to South Dix (aka Carson), or even East Dix (aka Grace).

I doubt the parking lot would be full on a Friday Morning, holiday weekend not withstanding.

Thanks for the responses. I will check them out but have to decide in less than 24 hours! Someone at work suggested Algonquin. I know it may be a zoo, but there is a big lot there, correct? Weather-wise, I may not be getting fantastic views tomorrow regardless of what I choose. Exactly what are the procedures for AMR hikes/parking? Park on 73 and walk through the club to the gate?

Last edited:
Just before Giant on the left side of rt 73 is the parking area for round pond. from there you could do Dix, or the noonmark-round mt loop (about 3500 ' verticle climb).

4check said:
... Someone at work suggested Algonquin. I know it may be a zoo, but there is a big lot there, correct? ...

Algonquin and (maybe) other peaks in the MacIntyre Range (Wright, Iroquois) might be a good choice within the scope of your mileage plan. The Adirondack Loj trailhead parking lot is expansive.

G.